Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Jehovah's Witnesses offered to help me be a good dad.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:27 PM
link   
Would you have been happier if they suggested to eat more Bran?

edit on 2-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by abeverage

They could have told me to go jump off a cliff for all i care, just don't tell me God knows whats best for me and my kids.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

They could have told me to go jump off a cliff for all i care, just don't tell me God knows whats best for me and my kids.

CX.

And that, friend, is a stupid thing to get upset about. Their intentions were positive, regardless of what you believe. But you can't accept that because for some reason, it offends your sensibilities to use an invisible friend for emotional security. Speaking of which, have you told your children about Santa Claus or the Easter Bunny yet? If not, might want to get on that. It would be a shame for your kids to believe in something you know isn't real, wouldn't it? No matter what kind of joy it gives them? No matter whether they want to continue believing or not?

You know...just sayin'.
edit on 2-4-2013 by AfterInfinity because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
reply to post by caladonea

Thank you.

Don't get me wrong, i have friends who are Jehovah's Witnesses, they do know not to preach to me as i'm not that way inclined though. I don't like to judge people, no matter what religion they follow, despite the fact that i have more than enough want and ammo.

I just hate, and yes i know hate is a strong word......but i really do hate people who think they can push their beliefs onto me. Keep it to yourself.

I won't judge if you don't harp on about whats right and wrong in my life.

See, in my eyes, after some thought on the matter, i believe that the key to world peace and all that is to live and let live. Do not judge.

I have many many friends who follow very different paths, the only problem i see is that they can't accept paths different to theirs. That's the secret, if you don't like the fact that people either believe or don't believe in whatever idol, keep your opinions to yourself.

CX.

Lol. From my point of view: if you ever go into spirituality and start to play around with meditation, then you will probably reach greater understanding than most people trying to push their view. To me you are already spot on. Thank you for being.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by abeverage

CX.

I had added an addendum to my first reply but I will address you in this one instead.

Of course you know they mean that their Heavenly Father is a better role model and by not introducing your children to their brand of God you are doing a disservice to your children's souls and thus in their eyes not being a better Dad...

But who's to tell you what is best for your Children if you are good father..but then these are people that believe God is the all Father, and humanity is God's children so you are basically (to them) telling God how to parent...
edit on 2-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ballymoney50

They are a cult, My friend was brought up a Jehovah Witness , his parents are both devout members of the cult. They refuse to speak with him and have singled him out of the family because he disagreed with what they where teaching.. This cult has brainwashed there members so much that they would give up there own son.

The watchtower society was founded by Charles Taze Russell who was a 33 degree mason, make of that what you will..

This is a memorial to him and the watchtower society.

edit on 01/04/2013 by Psych3d3licPsych3 because: (no reason given)

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by AfterInfinity

Santa and the Easter bunny......as similar as they are to God in that they are imaginary beings, never told me that they thought i could be a better dad by doing things their way.

If they had, they'd have got the same answer too.

Incidentally, i let my kids grow up knowing all aspects of religion and beliefs, as well as fact and fantasy. I let them make their own minds up.

The fantasy they laugh and smile about, religion, they are just baffled about because it's so damn far fetched, even kids who are given the right to think freely can see how wrong it is. It just doesn't make sense.

I can see we are going to have to agree to disagree though on this one, thanks for the opinions though. I do take on board certain parts.

CX.

edit on 2/4/13 by CX because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Went across the road to the shops this morning to get the paper, saw a gaggle of Jehovah's Witnesses about to walk down my alleyway.

I asked them nicely to not knock on my door as my kids were there and one wasn't feeling great. They are in their early teens but i still didn't want them bothering them.

I get the response, "Well you may want to take one of our booklets, there's info in there on how to be a good dad".

I replied, "I'm already a good dad, i don't need to read that to be told that thank you!.....don't knock on my door please." They replied, "The Lord can help you be a better dad".

Really got my goat up. Sorry, i know it's not a major thing, but i go out of my way to be a good dad, always have done, always will do. I don't need people telling me that imaginary people in the sky can help me be a better person to my kids.

Maybe i should put my kids out on the street and leave them to starve for a week, i'm sure God will be there to clothe and feed them.

CX.

Early teens...I think that says it all. They are in the learning process, trying to do what they think is right, trying to learn what to say to not make people upset (virtually impossible by the way, different people will get upset at different things) I'll tell you one thing though, these kids aren't in jail, they aren't doing drugs, they aren't out hurting anyone. They are keeping busy trying to talk to people that they know will laugh at them, mock them, hate them, and then joke about how cool it was when they made a couple of kids feel bad about preaching. Not you, you were upset, but I see others do that all the time. Man do you know how hard it is to go talk to people that you don't know? But it keeps these kids busy and it keeps them out of trouble. I grew up as one, I haven't been for a few years, but I still have only good things to say about them. I'm sure they weren't trying to make you feel bad, from their perspective they said something positive, I'm sure they had no clue that anybody would get upset by it. But now they know, and they are a little older and a little wiser for it...and still staying out of trouble, unlike some other kids their age.
edit on 2-4-2013 by The_Phantom because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Why don’t the Italians like Jehovah witnesses????...............They don’t like any witnesses.

The poor kids passing that stuff out are brainwashed. i just say ok, thank you, then throw there papers in the trash

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by The_Phantom

They are keeping busy trying to talk to people that they know will laugh at them, mock them, hate them,

See, i find that baffling why any parent would want to put a child through that at such a young age. Different worlds i guess.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Psych3d3licPsych3
I usually just tell them to open there bible to Luke 10:3-7, usually shuts them up right and quick as they blatantly go against that part daily. Better to shut them up quickly as there bound to say something stupid and aggravating.. Maybe somebody should give them a leaflet on how to be better messengers for God?

Must remember that one, thanks Psych.

OP I thought that you handled their (unintentional) slight very well.
Had the misfortune to be accosted by two gentlemen of the religious persuasion going in my front door a few weeks ago. They were very polite and I was in a good mood so the conversation went like this:

"Hello sir, nice bit of rare sunshine this morning"
Yes, makes a change!
"Could we have a minute of your time please" - Hands me a leaflet (pictured)

"Do you know who this man is?"
- I do indeed
"And how do you think his death helped us?"
Well he sacrificed himself didn't he........
(Their faces brightened visibly)
After shutting down the tractor beam, his sacrifice allowed the Millennium Falcon to escape, it may have also pricked Vader's conscience and could have set him on the road to redemption, both of which ultimately brought down the Empire.

The poor lads literally looked at each other and started laughing in an awkward way.
Before the sermon could begin I said, "We all have our mythologies chaps, good day to you both!"
And went inside.

They took it well I thought.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Originally posted by The_Phantom

They are keeping busy trying to talk to people that they know will laugh at them, mock them, hate them,

See, i find that baffling why any parent would want to put a child through that at such a young age. Different worlds i guess.

CX.

It's not the parent putting them through that, it's the people that they talk to that decide how they will treat them.
There are also good things about it too, like hanging out with your friends all day, that's not to bad. There are good and bad things to many life experiences. When they grow up, they will know how to talk to people about nearly any subject with conviction, and that can help in many areas of life down the road.

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by HumansEh

Thought you were going to tell me that Chuck Norris had died for our sins then.

Funny story, they obviously felt so too.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

Thought you were going to tell me that Chuck Norris had died for our sins then.

Funny story, they obviously felt so too.

CX.

Chuck nailed himself to a cross,
with his fists.
but that is another story......................

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:41 PM
link   
cant translate what would have told them ... violates t&c then some ... you were far more polite than I would have been ....

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:13 AM
link   
reply to post by CX

I can see we are going to have to agree to disagree though on this one, thanks for the opinions though. I do take on board certain parts.

I'm not disagreeing, just offering an alternative perspective. You had every right, I just feel it wasn't entirely necessary and thought that perhaps you hadn't considered every angle.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by CX
Went across the road to the shops this morning to get the paper, saw a gaggle of Jehovah's Witnesses about to walk down my alleyway.

I asked them nicely to not knock on my door as my kids were there and one wasn't feeling great. They are in their early teens but i still didn't want them bothering them.

I get the response, "Well you may want to take one of our booklets, there's info in there on how to be a good dad".

I replied, "I'm already a good dad, i don't need to read that to be told that thank you!.....don't knock on my door please." They replied, "The Lord can help you be a better dad".

Really got my goat up. Sorry, i know it's not a major thing, but i go out of my way to be a good dad, always have done, always will do. I don't need people telling me that imaginary people in the sky can help me be a better person to my kids.

Maybe i should put my kids out on the street and leave them to starve for a week, i'm sure God will be there to clothe and feed them.

CX.

Religious dogma will never do anything but hurt your children.
You're a good dad.

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
I was raised a JW. All I can say is that JW families are torn apart by this cult religion. My mom hasn't spoken to me for over 30 years. Personally, I think they should work on being better parents themselves, fix their own family problems before telling others how to be "better" parents. How can they tell others how to be good parents when they are the worst?
A child raised as a JW lives in fear, and isolation. This is how they control their members. And when the child leaves the church they are further shunned.
I ran into my mom at a restaurant a couple of years ago, she commented on how sweet my little girl was, but she didn't recognize me, and she never knew the little girl was her grandchild. I cried for days. This is evil, pure and simple. A year or two after that I went to see her, and she said she didn't need or want me because there were 8 million JWs taking my place. Also, last year she had a stroke, (she is in her 80's) I went to the hospital to see her, the only pictures she had in her room were of other JW kids that she called her grandkids.
To clarify how my mom could possibly not recognize her own child: I left the church in my early 20s, my daughter was born when I was 40. It had been almost 20 years since I last saw my mom. Also, I am #7 of 9 kids. She has over 40 grand kids, great grands and great great grands.
I think what the OP was feeling was "righteous indignation".
edit on 4-4-2013 by misskat1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 08:56 PM
link   
It sounds like they respected your wishes and didn't knock on your door. So they tried to share something with you that they felt would be beneficial.....can't fault them for that. I'm sure they wished you a good day when you firmly made it clear you were not interested. I see no reason for getting upset about this harmless encounter.
edit on 4/4/2013 by Sparky63 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 06:45 AM
link   
The only compliment that I can give JWs is that their understanding( or memorization) of scriptures is usually very high.

I have nothing else nice to say about them. They are a cult. They isolate their kids from normal birthdays ( no birthdays, holiday celebrations, no patriotism in school, ie. not singing O'Canada or saying the Lord's Prayer). They ostracize family members who dare to leave the fold or those who do not become members in the first place.

I do not appreciate proslethising (sp?) religions at all, but I will wholly admit that Mormon missionaries are polite and respectful and the JWs operate with a misguided superiority and air of contempt. They are miserable and offensive to people who don't want to hear their message. Growing up in the wilds of Canada, I saw innumerable occasions where the JWs would take their small children out door to door with them, always failing to put hats and mitts on them, or even appropriate coats-in the hopes that people would feel bad for the freezing kids and let the group into their home.

I don't care who you are, or what you believe in, but no one should torture kids like that!

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join