It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Famous-case minutiae

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   
Rendlesham Forest: The lighthouse has always had a metal shield to prevent its light from shining into the forest. It was in place before start of operation, and the lighthouse has never operated without it. Someone who lives there said so on camera on location at the lighthouse showing the shield in an episode of UFO Hunters.

Ariel School, Ruwa, Zimbabwe: There is still a physical trace where whatever the children perceived to be an alien spacecraft was parked during their observation. It's a piece of evidence there for anyone to examine and collect soil samples for analysis. This is according to an ATS member who lives nearby.

Roswell: The logbook for Project Mogul shows cancellation because of bad weather of the flight claimed by the government to be responsible for the famous crash and shows a Mogul flight the following day, which was recovered without fanfare.

So what can members add to this list?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
Rendlesham Forest: The lighthouse has always had a metal shield to prevent its light from shining into the forest. It was in place before start of operation, and the lighthouse has never operated without it. Someone who lives there said so on camera on location at the lighthouse showing the shield in an episode of UFO Hunters.
(snip)
So what can members add to this list?

Well... I can suggest deleting (or at least qualifying) the first item in this list.

I've personally seen the light from the lighthouse from Rendlesham Forest and, like quite a few people before me, made a video of that light. As an example of such a video, see the CNN video below at about 12 minutes 20 seconds:

Yes, I know what is said in the relevant episode of "UFO Hunters". That episode contains several, um, questionable statements. (Okay, to be frank that episode is shockingly bad...)

I've done some work on a thread on Rendlesham (and have a couple of hundred of pages of notes typed up), but this is item number 3 or 4 on my ufological "to do" list.
edit on 2-4-2013 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2013 by IsaacKoi because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
Here's one that I've always found interesting: Clarenville, Newfoundland UFO Sighting In 1978

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by IsaacKoi

Thanks. Of course, any corrections, etc. to the starter list and anything added are welcome. Improving the quality of information is one of our goals.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpoq47
Of course, any corrections, etc. to the starter list and anything added are welcome. Improving the quality of information is one of our goals.

Understood, and I've flagged the thread because I think it would be interesting to briefly highlight important myths/facts in relation to famous cases.

However, I think it would be useful to include a link or supporting reference since the true position is sometimes controversial or a bit complicated.

If we take the Roswell entry as another example, that currently states that "The logbook for Project Mogul shows cancellation because of bad weather of the flight claimed by the government to be responsible for the famous crash". From memory, I don't think there is a logbook for Project Mogul showing the alleged cancellation of the relevant flight (Flight Number 4). I think a few people have relied upon statements about the content of an (alleged) diary of one of those involved in the project, Dr. Albert Crary. See, for example, this post on Kevin Randle's blog:
kevinrandle.blogspot.co.uk...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
A case that still holds my interest and to my knowledge still hasn't been explained is the 1976 Tehran UFO Incident , a must have for any list

The 1976 Tehran UFO Incident was a radar and visual sighting of an unidentified flying object (UFO) over Tehran, the capital of Iran, during the early morning hours of 19 September 1976. During the incident, two F-4 Phantom II jet interceptors supposedly lost instrumentation and communications as they approached, only to have them restored upon withdrawal; one of the aircraft also supposedly suffered temporary weapons systems failure, while preparing to open fire.

The incident, recorded in a four-page U.S. Defense Intelligence Agency (DIA) report distributed to at least the White House, Secretary of State, Joint Chiefs of Staff, National Security Agency (NSA) and Central Intelligence Agency (CIA), remains one of the most well-documented military encounters with anomalous phenomena in history, and various senior Iranian military officers directly involved with the events have gone on public record stating their belief that the object was not of terrestrial origin.
en.wikipedia.org...

Another case of interest is the 1966 Michigan UFO

Washtenaw County Sheriff Douglas Harvey ordered all available deputies to the scene. Six patrol cars, two men in each, and three detectives surrounded the area. They later chased a flying object along Island Lake Road without catching it.

Frank Mannor and his family saw the lights from their McGuiness Road farm. "I got within 500 yards of that thing and it looked pyramid-shaped. It had a light here and a light there and what looked like a porthole.
"It wasn't like the pictures of a flying saucer and it had a coral-like surface. I've trapped every hole in this county and I've never seen anything like it."
www.ufocasebook.com...

edit on 2-4-2013 by gortex because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
I tend to concentrate on the British cases when studying the phenomena. Mainly because I am English and studied British History. So sorry if this is of no interest to our cousins across the Atlantic, Down Under and elsewhere in the world.

Anyway I few things I've found that are minutiae in famous cases are:

Hughie Green, a TV star most famous for his "Opportunity Knocks" show in the UK, was what I like to call a "peripheral witness" to the Roswell story whilst driving through America in 1947. There is a thread I created here on the story. His story just nudges the Roswell story a little bit leftfield. Or should that be Wright Field?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

The Berwyn Mountains case of 1974 in North Wales, coincided with a military operation, off the coast in the Irish Sea called Operation Photoflash and was also slap bang in the middle of a wave of "phantom helicopter" sightings across the border in England. The phantom helicopter stories were covered by the press at the time, however I have never been able to absolutely verify the "Photoflash" story. Some researchers have stated this was a joint Navy/RAF operation to flush a UFO out of the sea but I have been unable to actually verify if this was a real event or not.

My full thread on that was here.

Isaac do you have any information on this one being a fellow Brit?

And as for Rendlesham, well I remember the day, many school years still ahead of me,when the story broke in the British press as I was delivering the newspapers that crisp Sunday October morning in 1983. Even though it was in the News of the World, I was quite fascinated by a headline "UFO Lands in Suffolk and That's Official".

Alas that case is like every other UFO case, difficult to tell fact from fiction. But one thing I did find interesting that I have never seen or heard elsewhere is the events during the evening of the 26th December, the night following Penniston and Burroughs initial sighting. This was part of an interview on the Paracast, given by John Burroughs,the only witness to both the first night's events on the 25th/26th Dec 1980 and the evening when Colonel Halt organised a team to go out into the forest. If Burroughs recollection is correct then that confirms that Halt and his part in the events occurred on the evening of the 27th and early morning of the 28th Dec 1980.

This a lesser known part of the incident and John Burroughs tells the guys on the Paracast the following:

"This it how it played out on the second night...when I got home I callled my parents and told them what I saw. Then my dad, he'd been in the military, told me the best thing I could do was not talk about it. Because if you can't explain what you saw you are better off not talking about it. So I went home stayed up a little bit and then I went to sleep. It was later than normal when we got home as we were out in the woods checking the area. So it was early afternoon. I slept basically from then until early morning, 2 or 3am in the morning. All of a sudden I woke and I felt like something had just happened or happened again. Whatever it was it seemed to come back. So I got up, got cleaned up, I didn't have a car but in England you could hitch. I got up, I went out. I lived by a roundabout and hitched up to the base. I got to the base probably a little after 6 in the morning, went up to the desk and sure enough when I saw the desk Sergeant he gave a little crack about 'Whatever you saw was back tonight!'. He went into a little story about how again they'd seen lights out in the forest. They sent the shift commander out. She went out into the woods to see what the lights were again and her vehicle stalled out. It quit running. Some kind of blue light flew through her vehicle. She totally lost her composure as it had upset her a lot and they sent her home for the evening. At that point I decided I was going to go back out that night and see what went on....I hung out with some guys at the dorm. At that time we had no idea there was going to be another incident."

The female officer concerned is rumoured to be Lt. Bonnie Tamplin accompanied by Bob Ball. That information comes from the now defunct rendlesham-incident site.

I haven't made a thread on that as there are already plenty on Bentwaters and Rendlesham. But minutiae it most certainly is.

edit on 2/4/13 by mirageman because: Mucking Furds Wuddled?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:17 PM
link   
About the physical trace in the Ariel School case, here's the quote:

Originally posted by Brad-H
I live just down the road from Ariel school...and this case has always fascinated me. I have a friend (who now lives in the UK) who was actually one of the school kids that witnessed...whatever happened that day. I used to bug him to tell me the the full story...but he was never too willing. There is still a large patch of dirt where the craft apparently landed, and to this day the grass has never grown back. I must go take some pics to show you guys

And here's where it appears:

About the Mogul logbook, off the top of my head I remember that what I wrote in the OP was said on Larry King Live in a show largely dedicated to the Roswell case.

It's also mentioned on the Wikipedia page Talk: Project Mogul, although I can't get the link to work. The following is from that page:

It should also be noted that a Mogul log book does NOT support the government's assertion of the launch on July 4, 1947 being the Mogal balloon that crashed, mainly because due to the fact that the log lists that flight as being canceled due to weather. The balloon was launched the next day, July 5, 1947, and according to the log book was recovered, hence not lost. And here's the big point, that's all the info we need in this article. Detail what Mogul was, the 3rd official explanation for the Rosewell incident, and about how the Mogul log book does not back up the government's claims. That's all that is needed on this topic. Period. BoyintheMachine (talk) 17:43, 20 June 2009 (UTC)

edit on 2-4-2013 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

this story sounds crazy even by ufo/alien investigations but the hopkinsville alien attack www.ufocasebook.com... actualy seems like a good case just because it dosent seem like a hoax the family didnt seek attention and actualy moved because of the media annoying them, and it seems hard for people to act like bullet proof creatures so it seems hard to go with a hoax so it could have been something like aliens.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 03:24 AM
link   
I’m 90 percent skeptic about UFO being extraterrestrial of origin ( I saw one myself when I was about 10 years old: a orange light of Mars magnitude in full daylight, heading from South to North with a speed slightly higher than commercial aircraft).
But there are 2 UFO cases in my country which make me think about the rest of 10 percent: Nanesti case (was presented even here on ATS and I saw recently a documentary on “History” channel about it) and Certesti case.
The last one intrigue me the most. It was published on EJUFOAS, The European Journal of UFO and Abduction Studies, September 2001 and you can read about it here:

Certesti Case

In addition to what you read about the credibility of witnesses, the event took place in a period with high unemployment and I don’t think the police officer would have risked a relative secure and well paid job inventing a crazy story.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by IsaacKoiWell... I can suggest deleting (or at least qualifying) the first item in this list.

Well, saying the beacon does't shine into the forest is not to say no light can be seen from it. No matter how well you design a lighthouse not to shine its beacon inland some of the light directed out to the waterway will be visible, even if only when foggy, rainy, or snowy. But when they describe a very bright light, that shouldn't be coming from the lighthouse, and I'm pretty sure residents wouldn't like it. But you've been there and know the details better than I.

reply to post by Catalin

Well, police should be considered good witnesses. They train themselves to be good observers because they know they often have to fill out reports and don't want to be caught looking as lame as average citizens they question, who often can't even say the make of a car or how tall someone was. So police get into the habit of paying attention to detail.

Debunkers like to say that pilots are not such good observers because there are so many things that can fool the eye when observing from a cockpit. To whatever extent that may be true, the argument doesn't apply so well to police officers, and the number of sightings reported by police officers is huge. A database of U.K. police UFO witnesses lists more than 900. For the U.S., it would be many thousands.

Plus we have some famous cases in which several of the witnesses were police officers, in addition to all the citizens that flooded the police switchboards with calls, plus two in which a police dispatcher got to see the object after being full of doubt about what officers were saying on the radio.

And most don't want to report a UFO, even if seen by several officers. So the number of witnesses must be much higher than what is documented.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 05:53 AM
link   
Roswell--It was Lt. Col. Wayne Madson (ret.) who referred to a Project Mogul log book on Larry King Live, at 4:15 here:

He said that the content of the Mogul log book was published in the government's official report claiming that Project Mogul was the source of the Roswell incident. The Wikipedepia "Talk: Project Mogul" page simply mentions that the log book shows cancellation of Mogul flight No. 4 (the one the government claims is responsible for the famous debris field) and a flight the next day, which was recovered without fanfare.

Regardless, the link provided by Issackoi above certainly provides much more sophisticated coverage of this point than a rushed sound bite on Larry King Live. Here it is again:

There was no Flight No. 4, by Kevin Randle

Another interesting tidbit is that the so-called "magic foil" described by Major Jesse Marcel and others who handled it fits current descriptions of a material theorized in 1947 and now being researched by many scientists today in an apparent race to figure out how to produce the stuff commercially. It's called graphene, the object of a Nobel Prize in 2010 and a billion-euro EU research grant in 2013, and said to be 200 times as strong as steel, just as the Roswell witnesses claimed. If any of it is found in the desert and presented as evidence, it had better be soon, because it won't stand as otherworldly once humans have started manufacturing this stuff.

en.wikipedia.org...

Phoenix Lights case--Witness Mike Fortson, who made the nice computer graphic representation of the object, joined ATS to discuss the case a few months ago, and one thing he mentioned was that it was seen in eight states. Wow!

It was mentioned (stated as fact) in an old ATS thread that "snowbird" was military jargon for "diversionary tactic." (The diversionary flare drop was code-named "Operation Snowbird.") I checked various books and the Wild, Wild, Web and found that meaning for "snowbird" only on UFO forum sites, coming up dry on any real confirmation. So cute, but no cigar.

Also, about debunker stories, the low-rent debunkers like James McGaha claim that the flares account for the sighting, while the more sophisticated ones like Tim Printy cite high-flying jets in formation, which is much better but doesn't account for the enormous size (according to numerous witnesses who claim very clear, close sightings) of each of the five circular lights on the underside of the huge V-shaped object (like a carpenter's square, flat black, with five large white lights, and bigger than any hanger at Area 51, not that such a craft couldn't separate into five pieces for storage).

NASA and astronaut UFO stories--They've all been pretty much shot full of holes with the exception of Deke Slayton's story of what he first thought was a weather balloon, then flew back around to check it out and saw that it was some sort of disc-shaped object, which later departed at high speed his plane couldn't match. He didn't claim it was aliens, just disc-shaped, unidentified, and more or less hovering followed by high departure speed.

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

I find it hard to know what to believe when Astronauts and pilots have been told not to talk about what they've seen. According to Bob Dean hundreds of pictures taken by astronauts in space have been destroyed, I can't find that video but this one has some pictures right at the end.
Has anyone shot holes in his UFO pictures, they start around 1hr in.
I'm not even sure if this is off topic for your thread.
YouTube

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by xpoq47

Did a Government Alien have a pre-arranged organised meeting in a secret location like depicted in this movie scene ??

posted on Apr, 8 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   
reply to post by AthlonSavage

At 25 minutes to 35 minutes in the video I linked in the post above yours, according to Bob the answer to your question is yes.
I'm interested to see what others think about it.

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Regarding the ever-popular "You can't here from there," some NASA folks are working on it. This article may be of interest in that regard, particularly the bit about the so-called quantum vacuum plasma thruster (QVPT).

Warp Factor

edit on 16-4-2013 by xpoq47 because: (no reason given)

join