It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gun Control is just....Silly

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by Darce
reply to post by Hopechest

Haha! Sounds like fun. Unfortunately we can't hunt with ARs in Canada as they are restricted by name and therefore can only be used at RCMP approved ranges.

I would agree with you that there are plenty of options for home defense, semi auto 5.56/.223 caliber carbines being only one of them. If you're interested here is a little video on the subject by a well known youtube channel called hickok45:

Honestly he never claims to be an "expert", but he does bring up some good points as to why the AR is a very capable defensive platform.

I can't figure out the embed sorry
Youtube Link:

Home Defense: Double Barrel Shotgun vs AR15
edit on 2/4/13 by Darce because: (no reason given)

Some people may prefer it but I have no idea why. I find them extremely clunky and can't hit the broad side of a barn with one. If someone was in my house I'd take a 9mm any day of the week over an AR-15. I suppose that if you had time, were propped up in a window and saw a car full of people coming at you from down the street the AR-15 would be better but I highly doubt that situations happen too often like that.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

The link he provided shows how well you can hit targets with an AR-15...AR-15s have great accuracy in general so im not really sure where this "Its harder to hit things with an AR-15" stuff is coming from.

Sure the "car full of people coming at you" scenario might not happen to often, but im going to be prepared for when it does.Example.Korean Americans defended their shops from being looted and burned during the LA riots with various types of Firearms but AR-15 and AK-47's were favored.

Im not going to be stuck with a 9mm if SHTF

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by ruderalis1

That was my personal preference. If your a great shot with an AR-15, which I am not, then you should be using it. Diving around my apartment while dodging an attacker is a bit easier with a pistol for me however. I imagine that would be the scenario I would face, not defending a shop during riots.

However, gun preference isn't really the subject of this thread.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

I would say we need to teach people people to defend themselves, back in the wildwest, folks defended themselves, as the sheriff was in town. Incidentally, thw wild west had lower crime rates than any city in modern america. As well as less murders in a ten year stretch than modern chicago gets in a week.

Pandoras box is already open, it is far too late to put firearms back in the box. Besides there is not one instance of.prohabition working, humans will.do as they want, reguardless of laws.

If I want to drive fast, I will, and do, reguardless of posted.speed limits, just like.crack heads will smoke their.crack, reguardless of laws against making it, possessing it and being cracked.out on it.

Making more assenine laws will never stop a single.criminal from.doing anything. It will only make law abiding citizens into.criminals, because they refuse to relinquish their right to self defense, against crimins who.will.and.do possess guns.

The police are not there to help to save or to protect anyone, nor are they mandated to do so. They are there to clea up after the fact, and arrest the guily party.

Self defense is entirely up to the individual, all the proposed laws will only help the criminals by disarming their targets.

It is like saying cutting off one of a gazelles legs will help.protect it from lions.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:19 PM
link   

Hope, by your.reasoning, it is just.fine to.leave the people.defenseless, because after enough time all the criminals with guns woukd eventually be off the streets, as well as their weapons.

What happens to how many innocent law abiding citizens.over the nex thousand years while that is going on?

Yes that's right, they get robed raped.killed.etc.....

No thanks.

Also just to.respond.to.a.few.of.you lunacy laced posts
No military on earth has ever fielded an ar15, it is not.an assault weapon, it is a.single.shot.semi.auto, not military grade by any means.

An ar15 does.not.spray bullets, nice try feinstein, but you are obviously completely.ignorant of the weapon your talking.about.

My 10 year old son can handle.and.shoot one quite easily, more.so.than any shot.gun, and with much more.control and accuracy.

Please hope, you have no hope, as your entire.prmise is.based off flat out lies and deceit.

Don't make me.school you.

I also notice you never tried to argue with me about any of my posts, I don't blame you though, your position is not winnable.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:20 PM
link   
Who ever said the AR was not accurate has never trained or fired one. I never really liked the AR or AK for that matter but both have their devoted followers for many reasons. I know guys who can clover leaf 3 rounds at 100 yards with an AR in several different calibers. If you go to any of the gun matches and look at who is using what, the majority of what I have seen have been ARs. It really is America's grown up tinker toy with regards to making comfortable and utilitarian for just about anyone of either sex. But guns are evil so outlaw or make them as cumbersome, limited, and stupid as you can. My grand Daddy has a bolt action single shot; great gun unless you needed a second shot when the large mean critter charged with intent of turning you into critter poo.....Unless one lives in Alaska those occurrences are rare in the lower 48 as long as you don't count black bears or cougars and even then how many city folks have ever been chased by either, much less seen one.....

From another thread that I posted so sorry if you have already read it.

Think about this. You are a violent, homicidal idiot, looking to make a statement, hoping to go from disaffected loser to the most famous person in your town. One obvious way to accomplish your goal is to kill a whole bunch of people who just piss you off...Didn't give you the respect you deserved or picked on you etc etc. So where’s the best place to go shoot, bomb, kill all these people?
It is someplace where nobody can shoot back or protect themselves.

Time after time when the stats have been published the crime has gone down if the population is armed. Chicago and Detroit with their no guns allowed policy have about 1.2 people killed everyday by a gun; a little over 500 each a year. Those tough laws work great on the law abiders but as usual fail miserably because a certain segment of the population has no respect for laws, you, your life, certainly not your property. The crystal rubbing Utopian believers are one mugging away from meeting the harsh reality of self reliance and being able to defend themselves. Over the last fifty years, with only one single exception (Gabby Giffords), every single mass shooting event, with more than four casualties, has happened where guns were supposedly not allowed...think about it!!!!!

My 100 pound wife is tough but I would hate to see here attacked by a 225 pound man who wanted to hurt or rob her..She is a sneaky little bugger but I would rather she not be tested.

Colt along with Smith and Wesson figured out that problem along time ago to the point they used to be referred to as "the great equalizers or Peace Makers". Times have changed; now for the uninformed masses if they see a gun it is time to "Run Away" unless carried by the government enforcers. With some of the nut jobs carrying illegal weapons that might be a good option for those who can not defend themselves. Unable to run, well sorry about that maybe you should have been able to defend yourself.
80% of the ones I classify as "nut jobs" are on some form of psychotropic drug and have been for many years. They have been on Zoloft or some serotonin inhibitor through their formative years, and their decision making process is often flawed. They are usually disaffected, have been bullied, pushed around, and have a lot of classifiable emotional problems; delusional. They see themselves as victims, and they are usually striking back at their peer group or society in general. There are even those who start something wanting the cops to shoot them, thus Suicide by cop is now in the lexicon.

There are no easy answers regardless of TPTB making feel good, "See we are doing something" statements and trying to pass laws that have already been proven to be ineffectual. I sometimes really do believe there is something in the water that helps brain wash people.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Hope, by your.reasoning, it is just.fine to.leave the people.defenseless, because after enough time all the criminals with guns woukd eventually be off the streets, as well as their weapons.

I'm actually against gun control but that wasn't my argument, I was simply making a point that if you have less guns on the street you will have less gun violence. Not sure how you can really debate that.

No military on earth has ever fielded an ar15, it is not.an assault weapon, it is a.single.shot.semi.auto, not military grade by any means.

You are missing the point I was making. Whether the military uses them or not I was pointing out that the military uses guns over machete's. Need to see the forest through the trees there.

An ar15 does.not.spray bullets, nice try feinstein, but you are obviously completely.ignorant of the weapon your talking.about.

It does when I shoot it. Watch me shoot one sometime and you will definitely see a spray of bullets.

My 10 year old son can handle.and.shoot one quite easily, more.so.than any shot.gun, and with much more.control and accuracy.

Good to know that we can measure the nations shooting accuracy according to your son's skill level. You must be very proud.

Please hope, you have no hope, as your entire.prmise is.based off flat out lies and deceit.

I anxiously await you to point out one lie I've told.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:05 PM
link   
Just think, all this effort to disarm America continues to backfire as firearms manufacturers are running full steam to meet customer demand, while jobs are being created, further strengthening support against the infringement of rights.

Next time someone asks you why you need an AR, ask them why they need to be able to ask that question.

Hopechest, you're essentially saying that you are unable to control your own shot placement.
That's not our problem!

Here, take notes from a child.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Sek82

Your correct, and I never intended it to be anything else. As for gun control, I'd say quite the opposite is happening, especially at the court level.

We've seen the Supreme Court hand down a few decisions that qualify the second amendment recently. The second amendment has gained more strength lately, not had it taken away.

The second amendment now applies to states, which prior to 2010 it did not. We now have a Court decision that says cities and states cannot ban handguns.

I think gun supporters should be very happy with how things are going. Your always, every single congress, going to have legislators trying to hammer a gun bill through but it usually never goes anywhere.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
reply to post by Sek82

Your correct, and I never intended it to be anything else. As for gun control, I'd say quite the opposite is happening, especially at the court level.

We've seen the Supreme Court hand down a few decisions that qualify the second amendment recently. The second amendment has gained more strength lately, not had it taken away.

The second amendment now applies to states, which prior to 2010 it did not. We now have a Court decision that says cities and states cannot ban handguns.

I think gun supporters should be very happy with how things are going. Your always, every single congress, going to have legislators trying to hammer a gun bill through but it usually never goes anywhere.

"Democrats propose $10,000 fine for gun owners who don’t have insurance." dailycaller.com... And of course the insurance premiums will be beyond what many people could pay. Others who refuse to buy the insurance will be forced to sit out fines in the slammer where they can spend their days "making license plates" for their for-profit jailers while their guns are confiscated. Double whammy.

And then there are all the "new" psychological disorders that are yet to be discovered that will disqualify others. Ever been depressed? Hooked on prescription meds? So solly cholley.

Where there's a will there's a way.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:55 PM
link   

I was simply making a point that if you have less guns on the street you will have less gun violence. Not sure how you can really debate that.

easy, let's use Chicago as an example, shall we ??

1965 - Gun Control in Chicago: A Case Study

The City of Chicago has one of the nation's most restrictive gun control laws. Since April 1982 it has been illegal to purchase or register any handgun within the city. At the time Chicago's law was passed, then-Mayor Jane Byrne touted it as an anti-crime measure. How has her claim fared through the past dozen years?

A review of the Chicago Murder Analyses from 1965 to 1992 provides information on this question. The Murder Analyses are compiled annually by the Chicago Police Department, offering painstaking detail about the number of murders committed in the City of Chicago, the types of weapons used in those murders, the age of offenders and victims, and much more.

- snip -

What all three graphs show is that the number of murders ebbs and flows with little apparent respect for gun control laws. The national gun control act of 1968 appears to have had little effect on murders with firearms in Chicago: The number of murders committed with handguns rose dramatically in the years following its passage. The number of murders with handguns was falling in Chicago before passage of the city's 1982 gun control law.
www.catb.org...

gun ownership does lower the rates of violent crime, however, gun crime will always exist so long as ANY guns do.

reducing gun ownership is no more effective than a finger in a dyke.

although, the one change that could have an immediate impact and a positive, long-term result would be in reducing "gun free zones". That single act would certainly have deterred the most recent mass shootings as each occurred in a specific area where the victims were not 'permitted' to protect themselves.
THAT has to change.

newyorkcityguns.com...

there are many other sources that can assist with deconstructing your delusion, please take the time to learn some facts to accompany your disdain for the rights of all.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 01:01 AM
link   
Non gun owners wouldnt know it. There is a background check. Not every dangerous psycho has been declared a dangerous psycho. duhhh. stupid libs.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:03 AM
link   
My question has always been: shouldn't they have controlled the sales of guns, before they tried to control them from the people? Don't they make us get a driver's license BEFORE we can drive? I seriously believe they want us to destroy ourselves, by destroying each other. What better way to reduce the population, without getting too much blood on your hands?

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 02:29 AM
link   
I agree there should be no control.

One man should not tell another man what he can and cannot do with his life. That is of course his actions do not effective those around him in a negative way.

People always point at the bill of rights and the second amendment when this issue arises. The bill of rights and the other amendments aren't what gives us our rights. Any human should be born ino this world equal, and should already know what they can do; Anything. (Like I said earlier, that is if the actions do not effect anyone in a negative fashion.)

The constitution, bill of rights, etc. are only reminders. Reminders that we have these rights from birth. Not from god, nor granted to you from people before your time. You should already know what you can do on your own, without having to look at a fancy book, or some old scroll.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join