It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy UK politician reckons he can survive on £53 a week.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I assume the £53 per week is over and above the housing benefit and all that. I could survive on that. I have survived on that. It would certainly act as a good motivator to get a job. It did.

I appreciate my view may be unpopular, but frankly I am sick of living two doors away from a bunch of scroungers who seem to have more than me! I know there are serious problems and I know that £53 a week is pretty crappy – my brother being currently “between jobs”, but there is a degree of welfare dependency in this country which has been caused because of the generosity of the State, for whatever reason.

For some, living on welfare is a reasonable and attractive career choice.

Regards

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi
I assume the £53 per week is over and above the housing benefit and all that. I could survive on that. I have survived on that. It would certainly act as a good motivator to get a job. It did.

I appreciate my view may be unpopular, but frankly I am sick of living two doors away from a bunch of scroungers who seem to have more than me! I know there are serious problems and I know that £53 a week is pretty crappy – my brother being currently “between jobs”, but there is a degree of welfare dependency in this country which has been caused because of the generosity of the State, for whatever reason.

For some, living on welfare is a reasonable and attractive career choice.

Regards

Yep, £53 is actually for a single person, no kids. It does not include housing benefit or any job seekers allowance the claimant may be entitled to - it's actually the utter bare minimum.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

I wasn't having a go at you at all, it was the clown, can't think of his name and can't be bothered to look but he's got a brown background, proper troll.

Anyway, oh I know it doesn't go back to us, which is why I was against the cuts in the first place and why I will never vote any of the big three again. If they cut like they are doing and then used the money to make working actually pay, then that would be fine. I don't have an issue with people who work and claim benefits because they are on next to nothing and I don't have an issue with people who don't work because they physically or mentally can't. I have an issue with those who choose to not work and simply live off the benefits by simply having kids left, right and centre and that is the end of it, these people have never contributed and yet want us to subsidise their lifestyles, which for a sizeable minority are grand, as in their ignorant minds, it is their right.

Now I have softened believe it or not to how I used to be, mainly because during the last ten years I have experienced in my line of work, London, the whole of London, become a UN refugee camp with the vast majority engaging in criminal activity ALL within social housing that they have been given priority to get over our own families! So as far as I'm concerned, our own should get as much as they can!

However, I can't shake the thought that I'm struggling, millions of other working families are stuggling, the state will not help me one bit, or many of the other millions, but yet there are millions who can live fine off of the state thanks to the working tax payer and contribute nothing. That just isn't right.

It will take unity to resolve this and TPTB were very clever in dividing the country politically, then continued with regards to the subject of immigration, while at the same time bribing a sizeable minority which has created a divide in class with the creation of class of people who have lived quite well off of state benefits.

Really, every Brit should be hand in hand demanding that Britain be for British, jobs be given priority to British, immigration be cut to zero, every person of working age, able bodied and able minded be working with their income subsidised with working tax credit, but no part time worker, should be earning more than a full time worker. Subsidise child care. Invest in public infrastructure, billions and billions in roads and sorting out the million properties left vacant and in decay, get them in to social housing. British companies should be forced to base all departments here in Britain. Social housing be based on years contributed for all but the disabled and the disabled be assessed by qualified senior medical professionals. The private renting sector be heavily regulated and rents capped at the same rate as social housing for all. While every legal loop hole for these companies that earn billions in profit to pay zero in tax to be filled in and governed closely. Nationalise Gas, Electric and Water and take back powers given away to the BOE such as them setting interest rates. Make the NHS the NHS, not global health service. Smash the banks by capping senior bonuses based on performance and not exceeding 100k, capping the apr that they set on loans and setting a minimum rate of interest based on interest rates that they give to savers. Reinstall National Service from the age of 16. Finally, no more wars unless they directly threaten Britain or British territories.

These are just a few of the things we need to do.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 12:49 PM
link   
reply to post by SecretFace

There maybe a vacancy coming up on 5th May 2015, it comes with house free of rent and all expenses paid for, even imaginary and frivolous one's.
I think you should apply for it.

I really can't fault your last post - it seems pretty straight forward to me - I think politicians / economists etc over complicate things just to confuse everyone.
edit on 5/4/13 by Freeborn because: spelling

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flavian

Originally posted by doobydoll

Originally posted by Freeborn
The demonising of those on benefits continues.

www.bbc.co.uk...

Those comments are below contemptible at such a sensitive time - words fail me.

And look here:
www.mirror.co.uk...
Osborne caught parking in disabled bay when there was room elsewhere.

Are you serious? How exactly is George Osbourne, as a passenger in a car, guilty of parking in a Disabled Bay? Or, to put it another way, if you are a passenger in a car that is speeding, are you also guilty of speeding? No, of course not as that would be completely ridiculous.

If you want to attack Osbourne and pick holes in him then fine, there are plenty of legitimate reasons to do so and issues to attack him on. Attacking him on where the official driver parked the car is certainly not one of them.....

Is it his car? He allowed his driver to park there and didn't say a word in objection. Mainly because he doesn't give a rat's poont whether its reserved for disabled people.

The arrogant pig probably told his chauffer to park there for his own convenience - after all, he's no stranger to dishonesty is he? Deliberately traveled with a second class rail ticket in a first class compartment, as I recall.

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Is this eloquent young Brit an associate of yours?

www.youtube.com...

He seems to share strikingly similar opinions about "Britain being about British."

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Can't argue with that, you've got your head screwed on, bro.

Sure, it winds me up to see lazy people live off the state, and I've first hand experience of mates losing work because of immigrants. A close friend of mine had their hours cut not so long ago so that a supervisor (polish) could then hire some of their friends.

That's a damn disgrace, it's just a shame that some truly needy people who are genuinely unfit are being struck off their benefits. There has to be a better way to tackle these issues.

Still, you made some really good points and said some things that it seems many are afraid to say these days, so I applaud you for that. If I could flag your last post I would, but a star is all I can manage, unfortunately.

This country is fast going down the pan, I appreciate immigrants coming here to increase their quality of life and look for better opportunities, but I resent seeing my friends and family pushed onto the sidelines to make room for them.

Even those who have come here to make better lives for themselves must see that it can't continue, we'll all lose out in the end. It's unsustainable.
edit on 5-4-2013 by samerulesapply because: Additional.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
IDS has never ever been on the dole and the only time he ever got close to it was when his savings got low. His savings got low and he nearly had to sign on? LOL What a fooking joke just like the rest of them paedo enablers in govt. More worried about a half wit ripping the system off. Yet was proberly one of those assholes like ester rancid who let SIR jimmy so VILE rape children for near on 50 yrs.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by SecretFace
but yet there are millions who can live fine off of the state thanks to the working tax payer and contribute nothing. That just isn't right.

Interesting that you mistakenly believe there are millions of criminally out of work people in the country. This is a total fallacy of course, since the vast, staggering majority of people revcieving benifits are actually IN work, and therefore contribute to society by doing thier jobs, paying thier rates, and so on, and the vast majority of those OUT of work did not choose to be in such a position either. The realist would say that while there are some who abuse the system, the greater majority are just in the crap and cant find a way out.

They are none the less, in need of state assistance because the number of jobs which offer a proper, living wage on which to feed a family, heat a home, and so on, is much too small. The government levels blame for our nations ills, and the cuts they desire to use to solve them, at poor working folks. You tell me who works harder, the person doing thirteen hour shifts at basic national minimum wage, or the person doing five hours a day for fifty k a year? I know who sweats the most and so do you.

The fact is that the government could have avoided any discussion on the topic of benifits by cleaning up the acts of the various government departments, and by that I do NOT mean mass redundancy. Every government department, including the HMRC has been, for YEARS, been getting its supplies, and even its workspace, administrated and controled, not to mention supplied, by private enterprises. The HMRC in particular looses TENS of BILLIONS a year, not in unpaid tax, but by paying through the nose for everything they use, because they are contractually obligated to only use products sold to them by the people managing thier buildings. The company which owns thier buildings, charges obscene markups on every single thing they use, from photocopy paper, to biro pens, from office chairs, to airconditioning repairs. You want to change which end of your desk your work PC is on? That will be just over one and a half thousand pounds for the fella to come out, cut a hole in your desk, and cover the old holes that the pc wires go through.

You want a new computer mouse? Twelve pounds in the shops... same model from this bunch of thieves? Try sixty eight pounds, and thats at last years prices. And yet, with MASSIVE savings to be made in key areas within government departments, which could be made without the loss of a single departmental job by the way, the people they take to task are the powerless working people, who would much rather have jobs that paid them properly, than take the money in the first place.

There is no justification for this, and there is no justification for IDS's comments. Look into it for yourself, I implore you! With the money that could be saved in the back offices of governmental departments, without causing hardship for anyone, this country could pay off MASSES of its debt, and still service the needs of those who work hardest, and get the least reward.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

I don't see how it would be possible to live on that little for the long term.
Possibly for a month or so,assuming rent is not a problem.But not for more than that.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
reply to post by samerulesapply

We watched a program on tv here last night .It was on poverty ,homelessness and social housing in England and there was a bloke who had snapped his toes off ,his toes were black rotten dead because of one of his medical problems had rotted his toes .So one night he got drunk and snapped the dead parts off. Whole toes and had them sitting on top of the tv. He did not have any visitors to his flat , so he was extremely bored and lonely so he spent what little he had on grog ect to kill the pain and bordem.
That left enough for very basic food.
He was 46 and said he was just waiting to die. Really sad to see people being left behind . 1%

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by mardukiscoming

I don't see how it would be possible to live on that little for the long term.
Possibly for a month or so,assuming rent is not a problem.But not for more than that.

For me its not all about the money, but the stigma now being associated with being on benefits. As if you need unemployment benefit, you are one step away from being another Mick Philpot.

edit on 6-4-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Being on benifits does not mean that one is automatically going to turn into a sexually depraved, malignant egotistical nut bar whose own inflated self image lead to the death of six of his own children. Mick Philpot is not a waste of air and flesh because he is on benifits, but because he is scum. There is a difference.

People end up on benifits mostly due to the work they have not paying them enough to live on. It has nothing to do with what sort of person they happen to be, or how well adjusted morally and ethically they happen to be.

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Nvm
edit on 7-4-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 5  6  7   >>

join