It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wealthy UK politician reckons he can survive on £53 a week.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
Had a search, found nothing so I'm posting this.

Tory nincompoop Ian Duncan Smith has, rather stupidly, claimed that he could survive on £53 a week if he had to. Here's an article from the guardian: www.guardian.co.uk...

There's also a petition now doing the rounds, people are signing it in an attempt to force Mr Smiths hand...prove it.

I'm kinda hoping this goes postal on his idiotic posterior, so please sign if you can and leave a comment, the pettion (huge URL warning): www.change.org... recruit&fb_ref=__tUuDURauLV&fb_source=other_multiline&action_object_map=%7B%2210151334024086050%22%3A492685574118867%7D&action_type_map=%7B%2210151334 024086050%22%3A%22change-org%3Arecruit%22%7D&action_ref_map=%7B%2210151334024086050%22%3A%22__tUuDURauLV%22%7D

To be honest I don't see him proving anything, he knows fine well he can't do it. He'll no doubt, in the face of overwhelming response conjure up some lame excuse as to why he can't.

It's pretty disgusting, reading some of the comments left on the petition is rather disheartening, some people have proper hard lives. I thought mine was of low quality but I'm not half as bad off as some of those guys. This idiotic MP has no clue the reality of the world he sails through in luxury and comfort. Emotionally detached and out of touch. While being disheartening it's also good in a way, people are beginning to see it more and more clearly, every day it becomes more obvious that we're being conned and scammed by these clowns...I think we're close to a proper breaking point.

Too stupid to realise that the poor people he's robbing even more are the very people who feed and house his family by paying his salary. He's no kind of man, he'd never get by on £53 week, if it weren't for him being in such a privileged position he'd never manage a family...no skills, inadequate and useless in the real world. He'd be a shell of a man unable to provide for his family, much the many of the people he's robbing some more.

Anyways, just thought I'd pop it up here and see what people think, thanks. Sorry if it's been discussed, I did have a search...also apologies if I chose the wrong forum, don't often make political posts but this is infuriating.
edit on 2-4-2013 by samerulesapply because: Corrections.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Another in a long line of politicians claim they can live on benifits..well many have tried and they all failed.
Put your money where your mouth is and prove it.

+5 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   

CX

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:18 PM
link   
And don't just do it for a week, knowing that in a few days you'll be back spending more on food over lunch than most do in a month.......try it for a year, with the same treatment that the government gives to people.

I'd pay good money to watch it.

CX.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I did in the past and not through choice, it wasn't much fun.

Not all people, but most people who work or are from wealthy stock tend to think that those on benefits are living it up, having a great time at everyone elses expense.

While claiming jobseekers in the past I had nothing, no nice clothes, no fancy phones, often no food and certainly wasn't having much fun, it' depressing and soul destroying, man.

I get great comfort in knowing I can survive that and he most probably could not.

Thanks for responding.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Of course he can do it!!!! Do you think these politians come from trailer parks? Middle class suburbia? These politians ( most of them ) are more then wealthy to begin with. They own bussiness and are doing very well where stocks are concerned....ect ect So of course he can do it and thinking anything else is very nieve. Take our own Politians... Bush, Cheney, Paul, McCain, Kerry, Clinton.... On and on..All these people are handsomly rich

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:26 PM
link   
Well, he can survive on 53 a week.

And I recommend he experiences it..for say 3 months. Then he will appreciate the difference between surviving and living. Hell, he can survive on nothing a week, drinking rain water and eating squirrels if push came to shove...but who would want to live like that.
And more to the point for a politician to consider...is their country truly so poor and 3rd world nation status that they would allow their citizens to live like that without complete shame on them as a society?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by tracehd1
Of course he can do it!!!! Do you think these politians come from trailer parks? Middle class suburbia? These politians ( most of them ) are more then wealthy to begin with. They own bussiness and are doing very well where stocks are concerned....ect ect So of course he can do it and thinking anything else is very nieve. Take our own Politians... Bush, Cheney, Paul, McCain, Kerry, Clinton.... On and on..All these people are handsomly rich

Well yes, if they just take a pay decrease, they won't learn anything.

I think the idea is to remove them from their belongings for awhile and let them start from scratch with the pocket change only..no bank account access, no mansions, holdings, etc.

Wouldn't it be interesting that in order to be a politician, you had to spend say, 1 month every year living as the poorest in their community lives. Monitored, making sure they don't take any shortcuts..requirement to hold office..That would focus them on improving their district.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:30 PM
link   
He might be able to do it.

But he'd have to downsize from living in a palace to a sugar shack out in the countryside somewhere.

... And he'd have to walk everywhere.
... And cut back on the pints.
... And grow and hunt for his own food.
... And quit betting in the football pools.

Oh, and that sugar shack would have to be fully owned and paid for... if he had to actually pay rent, he'd be in the red before the end of his first friggin' month.

What a twit.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

Great idea...
It annoys me many politicians come from backgrounds which have no bearing on how people really live.
We need a working class champion of the people who has come from the bottom to the top by nothing but hard graft.
They would only have him/her shot though

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   
He's an odious excuse for a human being (as are all of the coalition Gove, Theresa may, Clarke etc etc).

He wont do it, he's already dismissed the petitions as a 'stunt'...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   
This is the same politician who claimed a £39 breakfast on his expenses, payed for by the British public. After one of these breakfasts, he's got 14 quid for the rest of the week.
edit on 2-4-2013 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX
And don't just do it for a week, knowing that in a few days you'll be back spending more on food over lunch than most do in a month.......try it for a year, with the same treatment that the government gives to people.

CX.

I'd say a good month is long enough to feel the pain. 30 days, and he'd be singing a different story.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   

That's exactly how it should be, no access to their luxury homes (that's homes, plural) or cars, bank accounts.

He should spend a year on benefits, live the dream. He should have to visit a jobcentre and sign on with the scum he has such contempt for. He should be allowed to find a job in my opinion, he'll soon learn that working for a pittance isn't as easy as he and his chums think it is.

He'll learn how hard it is for an unskilled individual with zero relevant experience to find a decent job of work. We know he isn't capable of holding down a real job even if he's able to find one, so no worries from me if they allow him to find a job.

Like I say, I doubt it'll happen...he's probably kicking himself for making such an absurd claim, and I'm sure his colleagues are giving him stick for being so unbeleivably stupid.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Great idea...
It annoys me many politicians come from backgrounds which have no bearing on how people really live.
We need a working class champion of the people who has come from the bottom to the top by nothing but hard graft.
They would only have him/her shot though

I generally disagree with that idea.
Plenty of working class schmucks would make terrible politicians overall. It is a pretty specialized field..same reason you need police to basically be focused officers and not just the local smith to also be the cop without a deep understanding of the law.

Its not really about your background, its about your understanding of the situation and a desire to rise above political games in order to truly represent and help the people that elected you. I don't care if they are billionaires, if they have a ear to the ground of their middle class then that person may be good at their job.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
Ha Ha!! Why on earth any working person would vote for the Tories is totally beyond me.

On the day the so called 'Bedroom Tax' was introduced, the rich just got richer, thanks to their buddies awarding them a cut in the percentage of income tax at the top rate.

It's all a con, a trick continuously bleating that the country is on its knees financially and everyone is in this together.

Lies, damn lies!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:43 PM
link   
He is such a joke....I don't believe for a micro second that he could actually do this, for any length of time. The online petition calls for his to keep to the £53 a week limit for a year, as some unemployed people have had to do, and there is not a snowball's chance in hell he could do it.
edit on 2-4-2013 by caitlinfae because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:49 PM
link   
Haha maybe he should set an example then aye? Lets put all the politicians on minimum wage and then we'll see how fast things chanhe..Idiot.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by CX

CX.

Never going to happen.

They are so far removed from reality. They call themselves public servants, yet live in splenditure. Have you seen the Marbled Halls of Westminster Palace? Their Chauffeur driving limos? Their subsidised retaurants? Etc, etc...

They need to take a look at history and how the French Revolution started. The aristocrats refusing to give up any of their wealth in taxes, until the poor had nothing to lose by revolting.

This demonstrates their ignorance unfortunately. Or maybe it's just arraogance?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:10 PM
link   
£53 pounds a week, I really hope this Tory boy half-wit attempts said act!

I'm wondering how he is going to eat, never mind pay for electricity, gas, rent and transport!

If by some miracle he some how manages such a feat, so what, lets see him do it for an extended period of time, say 6 months!

They should do it Big Brother style, I know I would love to watch him suffer on a daily basis, might give the creep some perspective!
edit on 2-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

<<   2  3  4 >>

join