It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Georgia town passes law requiring residents to own guns

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Heff...as much as I respect you, I have to disagree with some of what you posted.

I do, as you know, live in the mountains of N.Ga. I also do business here at my local farmer's market, for the past 2 years. I see an average of 5,000 people on each Sat. Many Families up here are now ethnically blended families. I see no one, adults nor children, being treated any differently.

Yes, the original founding families up here were primarily caucasian. 5 families actually that settled up here and spread through marriage. But they were also basic dirt farmers and lumber workers. Not city folk.

Times they are a changing, Heff. You need to come up here and see for yourself. BTW, your quoted census numbers are from 2000...it's not like that anymore.

On the other hand...there has been a huge uptick in local political awareness on our Constitutional rights being whittled away.

I think this one small voice, from one small town, is addressing that issue...not what you imply.

JMOHO....

Des

edit on 2-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
reply to post by olaru12

I am willing to be a little less secure to be a great deal more free.

And you don't see the contradiction?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Just how does that work though? Whites are already armed to the teeth weres the mystery?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   

This is about keeping their small town white - as ethnic diversity moves northward from Atlanta. That's really the long and the short of it.

I can agree with this statement. Of all the places I've been, the mountainous area of N Ga is by far the whitest. And it's quite obvious that they don't want that to change. Not to say there aren't people who are open minded and don't play the old race games, but for the most part, yes I can see this as being at least part of the reason they all armed up. It's more romantic to think they did it because they're all aware of the downfalls of the police force, so I'll hope it was for this reason, rather than for race
edit on 4/2/2013 by joeyv23 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I don't see a contradiction. I would rather deal with my neighbor than some Federal Agent.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Hey Des... I wasn't generalizing all of North Georgia at all. But Pickens county is very familiar to me. In fact in the other tab my FB page is open and I am talking to a friend who lives in Jasper. I spend time there often.

There is a line from eastern Gwinnett, through North Fulton, into Cherokee, and on into Pickens - of neighborhoods that are desperately fighting to retain their cultural demographics and their median income levels. Over the past 15-20 years that little war has moved up along the line I just described ( It began in the infamous Forsyth county decades ago ).

You're close enough to Atlanta to know that there is still very much a racial divide ( from both sides ) and that many of the folks in these parts are still emotionally stuck in the mindset of the 1950's where issues like race are concerned.

I haven't even looked yet - but I'd not be surprised at all if there isn't a push for public transportation in that area - this prospect is always a flash point for fear and extreme measures... such as arming and effectively deputising an entire town.

Still, the subtext is not that hidden in the man's statements as shown above... The town has 1,200-ish citizens. It is obvious that they are referring to people from outside of their community when they talk about protecting themselves.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:12 PM
link   

*wow*

The race card and city-wide conscription in the same post.

Maybe, just maybe . . . this is exactly what it appears to be. A "push-back" to all the gun control frenzy.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:13 PM
link   
reply to post by joeyv23

If what you say were true...then a good many families up here, would have to kick out their blended family members who've moved in with them. Lot of precious little kids would be homeless...if what you said were true.

Des

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer

*wow*

The race card and city-wide conscription in the same post.

Maybe, just maybe . . . this is exactly what it appears to be. A "push-back" to all the gun control frenzy.

Beez, race card or not...

There are neighborhoods in Texas where it would be very dangerous for you to go. Same in much of the South.

I think you are aware of that as I am!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

Discussing race - especially in an environment like Atlanta and the surrounding areas is not "playing the race card" at all. It is discussing real world issues. Just spend a bit looking at maps and checking the racial make-up of the communities from Pickens county southward and you'll see that what I am saying is extremely accurate. It is a complex issue here and one that, IMO, needs to be addressed and dealt with openly - rather than keeping it quiet.

Seriously, as I said in my first post - one would have to come here to understand. The issue of race is still a bone of contention in this region.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:21 PM
link   

I don't mean to say that everyone up there is incapable of NOT having racial motivations for their actions. Its the same down here. There are folks here who are tolerant as well as those who aren't. We are making steps forward on the issues, but I think we still have a ways to go. I look forward to the day when a person can see a person of another color, and think... about something else! Racism was a big deal when I was growing up, and I would love to see it gone. Wishful thinking?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Didn't mean to disparage, it's just that the race card is an easy one to play.

Caveat, I had a lay-over in Atlanta for 4 hours once. I had two beers. Bought a book. Got on my plane and left.

I just find it hard to imagine race being such an issue most anywhere, anymore. Then again, "down south" is Wyoming to me.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
For perspective:

Atlanta:

The 2010 United States Census reported that Atlanta had a population of 420,003. The population density was 3,154 per square mile (1232/km2). The racial makeup and population of Atlanta was 54.0% Black or African American, 38.4% White, 3.1% Asian and 0.2% Native American. Those from some other race made up 2.2% of the city’s population, while those from two or more races made up 2.0%. Hispanics of any race made up 5.2% of the city’s population.[87][88][89][90] The median income for a household in the city was $45,171. The per capita income for the city was $ 35,453. 22.6% percent of the population was living below the poverty line. However, compared to the rest of the country, Atlanta's cost of living is 6.00% lower than the U.S. average. Atlanta has one of the highest LGBT populations per capita, ranking third among major American cities, behind San Francisco and slightly behind Seattle, with 12.8% of the city’s total population recognizing themselves as gay, lesbian, or bisexual.[91][92]

Source

50 miles north of Atlanta:

As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 626 people, 254 households, and 188 families residing in the city. The population density was 695.0 people per square mile (268.6/km²). There were 275 housing units at an average density of 305.3 per square mile (118.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.94% White, 9.42% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.

That is an incredible difference for two places just 50 miles apart - no?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Hey Des... I wasn't generalizing all of North Georgia at all. But Pickens county is very familiar to me. In fact in the other tab my FB page is open and I am talking to a friend who lives in Jasper. I spend time there often.

There is a line from eastern Gwinnett, through North Fulton, into Cherokee, and on into Pickens - of neighborhoods that are desperately fighting to retain their cultural demographics and their median income levels. Over the past 15-20 years that little war has moved up along the line I just described ( It began in the infamous Forsyth county decades ago ).

You're close enough to Atlanta to know that there is still very much a racial divide ( from both sides ) and that many of the folks in these parts are still emotionally stuck in the mindset of the 1950's where issues like race are concerned.

I haven't even looked yet - but I'd not be surprised at all if there isn't a push for public transportation in that area - this prospect is always a flash point for fear and extreme measures... such as arming and effectively deputising an entire town.

Still, the subtext is not that hidden in the man's statements as shown above... The town has 1,200-ish citizens. It is obvious that they are referring to people from outside of their community when they talk about protecting themselves.

This is absolutely true. I was born and raised in Atlanta. Left for a number of years and went to college in Mississippi where I would arguably be a minority as I am white.

This is also the reason for different school districts being rated how they are. Where I am in East Cobb there is no low income housing, no apartments, no large townhome communities and they keep it that way to keep the schools and the district at a strict standard. Is it right? Not sure....but I can say that I have lived all over Atlanta and have seen for many years what lower income housing can do to a community.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by joeyv23

This is about keeping their small town white - as ethnic diversity moves northward from Atlanta. That's really the long and the short of it.

I can agree with this statement. Of all the places I've been, the mountainous area of N Ga is by far the whitest. And it's quite obvious that they don't want that to change. Not to say there aren't people who are open minded and don't play the old race games, but for the most part, yes I can see this as being at least part of the reason they all armed up. It's more romantic to think they did it because they're all aware of the downfalls of the police force, so I'll hope it was for this reason, rather than for race

This is malarkey.

I know lots of areas that are mostly white, with no threat off massive non-white "invasion" and they are and always have been guned up. Whats romantic is thinking that whites only gun up over the threat of non white races moving around the area. In fact I will say its stupid.

I have kinfolk in the hills of southern ohio and deep west VA and gunning up is just a way of life. Folks donw in Southern ohio pack side arms on the hip......and its not for fear of non whites let me tell you that right now.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by joeyv23

I was born and raised, until 17 years of age, in Houston Texas. I attended private schools, and had no experience with race diversity in any way. I know well those antiquated sick attitudes you speak of. Needless to say College was a life changing experience for me...for the better I might add.

Yes, certain areas of the south, have a lot of catching up to do...but it IS happening.

But, to call any current Constitution Political issues as only race based...is as narrow minded as those old school views.

Des

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

I am curious. Did anyone suggest that the only reason for a white person to have a gun is because of racial bias or fear? Because that seems to be what you are implying.

People own guns for their own reasons. Cities make gun ownership mandatory for political reasons. Owning a gun is not the same as being told that you must own one - by law.

Even if I am absolutely wrong in my assessment - which I don't think is the case - I still find it absolutely ironic and disturbing that some people can miss the fact that forcing a person to own a gun is every bit as tyrannical as telling a person that they cannot own one.

Apparently our disgust with tyranny is contingent upon whether or not we happen to agree with the tyrant?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:40 PM
link   

The blacks in Atlanta are as gunned up as anyone. Atlanta is brimming with weapons. The blacks in Atlanta are not gunned up over the 30%+ whites that live there to be sure. Look at Chicago. Blacks are very gunned up but not about whites.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
reply to post by Logarock

I am curious. Did anyone suggest that the only reason for a white person to have a gun is because of racial bias or fear? Because that seems to be what you are implying.

The rest of your post looks like another issue.

As for the above....ah yea there was a very strong suggestion and was heading deeper in that direction. Several posts indicated that direction was being taken. Someone or more even said something about these folks wanting to keep the place white as part of what was this gun thing going on in Nelson.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Not to say there aren't people who are open minded and don't play the old race games, but for the most part, yes I can see this as being at least part of the reason they all armed up.

I agree with you. I wasn't saying it's only racially charged. I think if anything it's secondary to the fact that they are arming up because they are a community that is aware of the infringements upon us, and the danger they create for us. Hell maybe there's no racial component to their decision at all, and if not SAWEET! I simply meant that IF the decision was based on racial fear, I can believe it.

Yes, certain areas of the south, have a lot of catching up to do...but it IS happening

I can wholeheartedly agree with this statement. Just go to an MLK Jr Day parade! I remember being young and it was a no-no for a white boy like me to want to have anything to do with it. I've gone almost every year since I gained the freedoms that come from being out of my parents house, I can go and am happy to say that this last year, it looked to be about 50/50 for black/white turnout. I smiled all day
and again just now thinking about it

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join