It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Small Georgia town passes law requiring residents to own guns

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Source

Council members in Nelson, a city of about 1,300 residents that's located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to "provide for the emergency management of the city" and to "provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants." Read more: www.foxnews.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   
The gun ownership wont be mandatory, but frankly, I like the idea of knowing each and every neighbor of mine is armed with at least a basic self-defense fire arm. If I were a criminal I wouldn't want to go near this town.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Just like I don't want or need any government telling me I can't own a gun, I don't want or need them telling me I have to own one, either.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by CoherentlyConfused
Just like I don't want or need any government telling me I can't own a gun, I don't want or need them telling me I have to own one, either.

Well, if you read the article they say that this is a symbolic resolution without actual requirement that people purchase firearms and no penalty for not owning a firearm.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by CoherentlyConfused

I live in N.Ga. Hope my County implements the same.....

Des

edit on 2-4-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   
I'd be curious to see crime stats before and after in a years time.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I heard that on the news the other day.
They said it was a law making it "mandatory" to own a gun, unless you didn't want to.

I wish more laws were like that.....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
That's it. I'm moving.

The weather in Georgia is a lot nicer than Ohio, anyway.

What better deterrent for crime than a gun behind every door? I am betting home invasions will drop dramatically.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:32 PM
link   
That is totally unconstitutional.

Unless, as stated above, it's mandatory unless you don't want to. LOL
How useless is that?
edit on 2-4-2013 by pirhanna because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Kennesaw, GA has had this law for a long time now. Not sure about the stats, but this isn't the first town in GA that has done it. Glad I live here!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by pirhanna

It's about as useless as every other law on the books. The only difference is this law is being honest about its uselessness.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
the imposter potus is coming to my state - where the gov is drunk on the koolaid.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:42 PM
link   
One would have to live in the deep south to understand the subtext involved... but this might help a bit:

]As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 626 people, 254 households, and 188 families residing in the city. The population density was 695.0 people per square mile (268.6/km²). There were 275 housing units at an average density of 305.3 per square mile (118.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.94% White, 9.42% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.

Source

This is about keeping their small town white - as ethnic diversity moves northward from Atlanta. That's really the long and the short of it.

Aside from that - the following from CBS news:

Council members in Nelson, a small city located 50 miles north of Atlanta, voted unanimously to approve the Family Protection Ordinance. The measure requires every head of household to own a gun and ammunition to "provide for the emergency management of the city" and to "provide for and protect the safety, security and general welfare of the city and its inhabitants."

Source

Guess what folks... they just conscripted the entire towns population. Now every head of household there is legally a servant of the city.

Freedom... you're doing it wrong.
edit on 4/2/13 by Hefficide because: added missed source

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
That's it. I'm moving.

The weather in Georgia is a lot nicer than Ohio, anyway.

What better deterrent for crime than a gun behind every door? I am betting home invasions will drop dramatically.

It's about 72 down here right now.
The only thing to worry about is the humidity!

I've also thought the only way for violence to end is to arm everyone. I can't say that there won't be a rogue few who try (emphasis on TRY) to do something stupid, and will subsequently catch a bullet(s), but eventually I think crime... at least what we're used to seeing all the time, would stop out of a basic need for survival. Criminals will quickly figure out... hey if I try something here, I might not walk away.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Metallicus
The gun ownership wont be mandatory, but frankly, I like the idea of knowing each and every neighbor of mine is armed with at least a basic self-defense fire arm. If I were a criminal I wouldn't want to go near this town.

Better hope your neighbors don't get drunk, mean and stupid and mistake you for a criminal.

www.click2houston.com...

I own guns and so does my neighbor. He beats the **** out of his wife/kids and one of these days in his drunken rage he will kill her.

Careful what you wish for....you just might get it!

I find it astonishing that conservatives that hate government intrusion into our lives will bend over and take it when it dovetails with their ideology.

A clear case of letting your ideology get in the way of your common sense!

I'm in favor of gun ownership unless you are proven to be irresponsible by driving drunk, violent offender, medicated for mental issues, or just plain stupid.
edit on 2-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
reply to post by joeyv23

It's about 72 down here right now. The only thing to worry about is the humidity! I've also thought the only way for violence to end is to arm everyone. I can't say that there won't be a rogue few who try (emphasis on TRY) to do something stupid, and will subsequently catch a bullet(s), but eventually I think crime... at least what we're used to seeing all the time, would stop out of a basic need for survival. Criminals will quickly figure out... hey if I try something here, I might not walk away.

Ah, yes, the humidity. Georgia might not be for me because, humidity and arthritis don't mix too well. Maybe a drier state will adopt this policy and I can move there instead

Want to know what kills me (you probably don't, but, I will tell you anyway)? Seeing 'fire arms are prohibited' signs on a business. Don't they understand that if a criminal won't follow the law, that a sign won't be anything more than an invitation? It's like they are asking for it. 'Please come and rob us. There is no one here to stop you.'

I have a sign in my driveway that says:

WARNING: Due to the increased price of ammunition you can no longer expect a warning shot. That sign is directly below the 'don't tread on me' and 'come and take it' flags that are flying high.

I think more places need to have a similar policy. I love the idea of fully protected community of people that do not have to wait for law enforcement to show up to save them after the crime is committed.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide
One would have to live in the deep south to understand the subtext involved... but this might help a bit:

]As of the census[1] of 2000, there were 626 people, 254 households, and 188 families residing in the city. The population density was 695.0 people per square mile (268.6/km²). There were 275 housing units at an average density of 305.3 per square mile (118.0/km²). The racial makeup of the city was 89.94% White, 9.42% African American, 0.16% Native American, 0.16% Asian, and 0.32% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.16% of the population.

Source

This is about keeping their small town white - as ethnic diversity moves northward from Atlanta. That's really the long and the short of it.

Gee, wow, dude please, really?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:00 PM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

I am willing to be a little less secure to be a great deal more free.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Logarock

Absolutely really. From the perspective of a person who actually lives here and has for 28 years.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn
Ah, yes, the humidity. Georgia might not be for me because, humidity and arthritis don't mix too well. Maybe a drier state will adopt this policy and I can move there instead

Want to know what kills me (you probably don't, but, I will tell you anyway)? Seeing 'fire arms are prohibited' signs on a business. Don't they understand that if a criminal won't follow the law, that a sign won't be anything more than an invitation? It's like they are asking for it. 'Please come and rob us. There is no one here to stop you.'

I remember hearing about movie theaters putting up 'guns prohibited' signs right after Aurora and thinking the same thing you've said here.

I have a sign in my driveway that says:

WARNING: Due to the increased price of ammunition you can no longer expect a warning shot. That sign is directly below the 'don't tread on me' and 'come and take it' flags that are flying high.

This is absolutely brilliant
You just made my day!

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join