It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Dates, Time, Daylight Savings and Imperial System

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Seriously folks.

Sometimes I just don't get the USA and how we still do some things.

Let's look at the date. Here in the USA we do month first, then date, then the year. wtf! At least ATS has it right.

It only makes sense to have the date first, then month, then the year. Sending a letter to Obama, cause I have heard he has some pull.

Next many years ago meaning the 70's the USA was set to change to the metric system from the imperial, or standard system. Heck even the UK doesn't use the imperial system anymore what gives?

Is the glass 1/2 full, of 1/2 empty? It all depends on what's in the glass teacher.

The metric system is so much more logical and straight forward to use, but no we still use fractions, lol

Next most places in the world, especially for travel use military time, or the 24 hour clock, one would think we would have implemented that here in the USA during one of the great wars, but no dice.

I vote for the getting rid of time altogether.

Here is something I find interesting, Daylight savings time take a look at this map and see who still uses it and who doesn't.

en.wikipedia.org...

One good thing is we drive on the right side of the road.

OK end of rant.

edit on 2-4-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Realtruth

I've never understood the US's aversion to adopting the metric system. 1 system to measure everything, I just don't get why you'd want to stick with 12 inches to a foot, a foot and 3 eights of a whatever. It's stupid.

As for daylight savings time..

We need it, mainly because if everyone were to set their clocks by the sun, our whole civilization would collapse.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   

stupid day light savings now my 3 year old is up at 600 am like she has an alarm clock hidden in her room because 600 bang she is up .

it throws everyone out of sync for a few days . Personally I do not care about an extra hour on day light doesn't really make a difference to me Winter time I go to work it is dark , I get off work it is dark

eta I am not sure why you guys still use the imperial system it really doesn't make any sense
edit on 2/4/13 by freedomSlave because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

eta I am not sure why you guys still use the imperial system it really doesn't make any sense

There were rumors it was to confuse all the Canadian's closest to the border that did their shopping on the US side, unfortunately it has confused everyone.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedomSlave

It's like a little "damn you, Metric System" brotherhood. We like the company we keep:

Liberia
Myanmar (a.k.a. “the country formerly known as Burma”)
United States of America

Source: Countries that Don't Use the Metric System

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Heck even the UK doesn't use the imperial system anymore what gives?

Go anywhere in the UK and try and order a beer in the metric system. Every single distance roadway sign is required by law to be in miles/yards in the UK. Ask someone from the UK their weight and see what they give as an answer. Speed limits? Look at the dashboard of any car sold in the UK mph?

Oh I think the imperial system is alive and well in the UK.

And the driving on the left makes sense because the British are never right.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Carreau

Heck even the UK doesn't use the imperial system anymore what gives?

Go anywhere in the UK and try and order a beer in the metric system. Every single distance roadway sign is required by law to be in miles/yards in the UK. Ask someone from the UK their weight and see what they give as an answer. Speed limits? Look at the dashboard of any car sold in the UK mph?

Oh I think the imperial system is alive and well in the UK.

And the driving on the left makes sense because the British are never right.

Interesting so you have a mix over there too. I haven't been in years so I couldn't remember.

I guess it would be strange to walk into a pub and ask for a liter.

top topics

join