It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennesee legislators propose new bill which ties welfare to children's school performance

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by cenpuppie

No. It is not proposed as merit-based incentives for better grades. It simply slashes a portion- not all- of the benefit income amount when children are under performing.

How is that not beneficial to the child?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
I wouldn't support this bill based on the fact that Campfield is the one sponsoring it. He is a shame and an embarrassment to this state.

His famous "dont say gay" bill, his gay airline attendant with a monkey speech, Kicked out of a restaurant and many other idiotic things. He is a dangerous idiot.

That said, this bill is another in a long line of stupid. What if the kids have undiagnosed medical conditions? What if the parents are disabled and can barely keep the lights on as is?

No matter how you look at it, the kids will be the ones that suffer. And the parents that are really trying to do better. The ones its "designed" to punish will be the ones that don't care anyway.

Typical straw-man fallacy.

Attack the bill, not the man.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

Does it not lead to a more productive society by mandating that parents be involved in their children's education?

With all due respect, government should not mandate that parents be involved.

Yes, parents should be involved. But you cannot mandate responsibility.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
reply to post by ButterCookie

Does it not lead to a more productive society by mandating that parents be involved in their children's education?

With all due respect, government should not mandate that parents be involved.

Yes, parents should be involved. But you cannot mandate responsibility.

Precisely!! I'm continually astonished when conservatives that rail against the government intrusion into our lives, turn around and advocate the very thing they hate. Like this stupid bill!

What's the word I'm looking for....it's on the tip of my tongue....
edit on 2-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I don't care to look. I saw it. As i stated, it was a few years ago. I sincerely hope it has changed. One recipient is in my family. Believe, don't believe. I couldn't care less.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

National Healthcare MANDATES responsibility. They are not supposed to be able to, that does not stop them.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by beezzer

National Healthcare MANDATES responsibility. They are not supposed to be able to, that does not stop them.

Exactly! Which is why National Healthcare (obamacare) will ultimately fail!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie

Originally posted by tnhiker
I wouldn't support this bill based on the fact that Campfield is the one sponsoring it. He is a shame and an embarrassment to this state.

His famous "dont say gay" bill, his gay airline attendant with a monkey speech, Kicked out of a restaurant and many other idiotic things. He is a dangerous idiot.

That said, this bill is another in a long line of stupid. What if the kids have undiagnosed medical conditions? What if the parents are disabled and can barely keep the lights on as is?

No matter how you look at it, the kids will be the ones that suffer. And the parents that are really trying to do better. The ones its "designed" to punish will be the ones that don't care anyway.

Typical straw-man fallacy.

Attack the bill, not the man.

You missed my last few sentences? I did attack the bill. This is also the second time or possibly third time he has attempted this bill. If you knew anything about the man, you would know this is the kind of stupid crap he attempts on a regular basis.

Nothing good will come of this for the families that are trying. It only adds pressure to the kid, pressure on the parents, could lead to anger, to family problems. For families that are scraping by, barely making it, that are on state assisted programs will be the ones who suffer. What about the single mother/father situations, where they are mentally disabled themselves, or physically disabled and makes it harder for them to help their kids. Losing 30% of any benefit in a household where you are literally putting off some bills this month to catch up on others, or pay for food, or clothes for the kids, will affect their living conditions.

I am not defending people who abuse the system, and there are plenty that do. I am defending the ones who have no choice to be on it, or who had something bad happen out of their control and are doing the best they can to push through it. They are the ones who will suffer.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:12 PM
link   
That's...actually not a bad idea overall.

The state has a vested interest in its citizens excellence, along with the fed...so ya..bonus for students that ace.

However, what if the kid is simply a bit dumb? is kicking someone while they are down necessarily a good thing?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:34 PM
link   
Being unemployed used to be a thing of shame.

Now, it's a rite of passage.

What the hell happened ?!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I think this is a terrible idea.

I teach in a low income area; the majority of my students come from single parent families, or from single income families. Many are on government assistance of some sort. There are even two students who are homeless and living in their car. It's not that the parents don't care about their children....it's just this area has been hit hard by the recession. The factories in the area closed, and a lot of people are unemployed and cannot make ends meet. The ones who can find work often make minimum wage and must rely on government assistance just to feed their families.

These children come to school, but they don't leave their problems at home. Who can seriously focus on adding fractions when you're wondering if you'll have supper that night? Who can practice their reading when they have no books at home, and no way to get to the library?

Then there is the fact that a lot of these parents cannot help their children with homework, simply because they do not understand the work itself. Or the parents are exhausted from working two or three jobs just to put food on the table.

These children start school at a huge disadvantage....and now the government wants to limit access to the funds they need to survive?

I'm not a fan of the welfare system. And heaven knows we have our share of scammers who are content to sit at home and play video games all day instead of earning a living...but this isn't the answer.

What if we flipped it? Offer extra money to families whose students reach a certain performance standard? That's an incentive to put education first, to help their child succeed, but without punishing the children for their circumstances or ability.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by CranialSponge

20 years of collusion between the money and the pets appointed by the money to represent their interests has succeeded in destroying the healthy base we used to balance apirational and meaningful entry level employment with the goals of business, while technology and efficiencies have driven the total number of jobs into the ground.

In other words: there are more people than there are jobs that pay an above poverty wage. Up until 1998, the opposite was true.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
The point of this is to get the underperforming students labeled as disabled. Then they can collect federal disability checks.

It's not to eliminate welfare - it's to shift some of the burden to the fed level.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   
I wholeheartedly believe this is a good idea. Parents need to step up and be a part of their child(rens) lives. Too many parents don't. We live in a world where kids need their parents more than ever. I can't help but wonder what it would be like to live in a world where people actually take responsibility for their children.
This bill may also cut down on the amount of kids interrupting classes repeatedly and getting no real punishment for it. It's time to take care of these kids so the ones really trying are given a fair chance without interruptions. School is hard enough with teachers who can't do their jobs, and schools trying to cover up scandals...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   
reply to post by RedShirt73

Thank you, glad you like the idea. Loads of big companies could get in on something like this, from fun learning trips, e.g. a day to show you how to sail or do Karting to even a family trip to the cinema with all the trimmings in the best seats. All good PR for the big companies too and really would not cost that much compared to the huge advertising campaigns they do and would be more effective because they are giving something fun instead of just bombarding people with yet another flashy advert.

Also something like this might help to encourage the parents who are not really participating in their childrens lives the way they should be to actually help them as they could see the benifit of the treat the child or even the family would get, perhaps like the ipod idea the child was always going on about getting one but the parents just could not afford it, now they would all be happy.
A reward scheme like this would also teach a child that putting in some effort is worth it, the feeling of achievement when they bring home a family ticket for a day out or something would be a great lesson in why it is good to work hard. How proud would a child feel to be able to contribute something nice like that to their family because they did well rather than always being shouted at for not doing something.

edit on 2-4-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: I forgot to add a bitty

edit on 2-4-2013 by CthulhuMythos because: I thought of something else

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
The fear of being poor would do more to decrease the number of poor drastically. That is the way it used to be until the government got involved and morphed it into a huge voting block.
Actually Jim, you have it Butt-Backward.
One Political Party said they dont represent 47% of the Population, so where would the 47% go to?
Think about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by tnhiker

well come on now, it's not really about the Kids, please. it's about all those lazy no good whore mothers who had sex. And by golly the Bible belt Nazis are gonna make them pay, yep. Leave that abusive husband and refused to be beaten One more time, why How dare you, you lazy good for nothing bum slut. And those dirty kids that don't get child support, why he shouldn't have to pay ya know, what ya mean you in welfare? You should have kept a man, those deviant kids and all, like all those other white Patprasite women who know how to blow and keep their stupid mouths shut and clean, work, and work a job and bow to their god husbands...and when they are tossed out in their asses she. He leaves them for a twenty something, well their kids are grown so It's ok, but now YOU you poor, poor no good trash, why how dare the citizens pay for you and those kids. We will teach You, and those no good kids,

Who obviously are dumb right? Why, you shouldn't of had kids, or sex, oh no Wait cant have Birth control and dare not abortion, you'd better Stay at home and be a mother like gawd demands, OH but Wait, that's not WORK, Mothering a child, cooking dinner, cleaning, dressing kids , toddlers, taking them to daycare, staying up with them when they are sick while Daddy snores away, AND trying to keep rent paid n less than a thousand a month, daycare costs, medical, etc., why THAT'S NOT WORK WOMEN. That's not ANS WORK and has ZERO ALUE so oh my gosh shouldn't ask Society to help, oh oh nooooooo,

Get those lazy women out working but don't DARE spdemand a fair wage, don't you DARE demand child support, don't you DARE demand decent SAFE CHILDCARE that's Affordable, don't you DARE. And now, those kids because hey, if you Poor well it's like being Black, you can't Obviously CARE about your kids or help, I mean what's sleep right! After an eighteen hour day you Parasite. What you Mean you don't want to feed those dirty poor kids beans for breakfast lunch and dinner? OMG, are you Serious? Why then, we will add More punishment, when your child is struggling in school, Never mind the Forty five kids to one teacher and the Other teacher arrested for Child rape Duh because well, he's a White man and has NEEDS. Besides, probably not legitimate rape and she Asked for it,

YeeHaw. Sarcasm, figure it out geniuses...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:27 PM
link   
reply to post by ThreeBears

Typos galore, key boated auto correct and I'm too enraged right now to care, but you should get the gist of my message, reply, etc.,

I abhore Class Prejudice, especially when it's Steeped in Misogyny and White Privelige and it wreaks on this issue.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
insanity

kids have enough pressure they don't need anymore

maybe these politicians should make it easier on small businesses and there would be more jobs

oh wait, I forgot, everyone on welfare is a lazy drug addict

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
well i feel kind of bad to say, but i support the idea.
if earning assistance is as simple as passing classes, then alright.

however just like the no child left behind BS. i can imagine school staff cheating EVEN more for the students.
but i guess it would be nice to know they are cheating to help the child's lifestyle, and not just to hack up their own teacher-scores.

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join