It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tennesee legislators propose new bill which ties welfare to children's school performance

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
Sorry, had to do it, lol.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by olaru12

Welfare was not meant to be a lifestyle. Nobody wants to end helping the poor, ending it as a lifestyle choice and it's use as a political tool need to be ended.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by olaru12

I find this attitude that all poor people are welfare cheats very mean spirited. Why the need for conservatives to demonize the poor and completely ignore Corporate welfare.

www.newyorker.com...

Keep up this scapegoating of the poor and the GOP will continue to be losers because there are far more Americans struggling economically than Rush L devotees.

edit on 2-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

Get rid of corporate welfare at the same time.

No reason for either.

Are you that naive? Take a look at who actually controls you, me, the government, the military/industrial complex, Bambi and the 3 little pigs. The Corpratracracy is so entrenched that there will be no turning back to a democratic/republic. Stay partisan if it makes you feel better though.

www.forbes.com...

blogs.law.harvard.edu...

Try a little research into how the system actually works and you will be astonished; or live in the 1950s illusion
and dreamworld the FOX network promotes. I don't care...I have made and lost fortunes in the entrepreneurial world before it was co-opted. Currently [thank the good Lord] I'm riding the crest of the digital Media renaissance.

Hey, and thanks for the fish....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by beezzer

While i can see good and bad in this legislation, it does address the serious issue of the dumbing down of America. I would prefer that government buttout, at the same time i can see this helping America in the long run. If i had a vote i would vote no on it for the reasons you describe. The problem needs to be addressed in some way however. Education reform would be my choice. Abolishing public unions would help.

Look not in how a law is used, but how it can be misused.

Then you'll see the real purpose.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:07 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

This is BS, because this is like putting a child to work, or having them shoulder the burden of providing for the family.

Why don't they make the parents/parent get off of there lazy asses by creating federal work programs, where people actually have to do something for their welfare check, then they could call it something else.

Nothing like giving a person a sense of self-worth by working for their money.

In the real world we call this a job and earning a wage. wtf!

edit on 2-4-2013 by Realtruth because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by beezzer

I said i would vote no. What else can i say?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Understood. Apologies. I just had a point and my ADHD compelled me.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
I wouldn't support this bill based on the fact that Campfield is the one sponsoring it. He is a shame and an embarrassment to this state.

His famous "dont say gay" bill, his gay airline attendant with a monkey speech, Kicked out of a restaurant and many other idiotic things. He is a dangerous idiot.

That said, this bill is another in a long line of stupid. What if the kids have undiagnosed medical conditions? What if the parents are disabled and can barely keep the lights on as is?

No matter how you look at it, the kids will be the ones that suffer. And the parents that are really trying to do better. The ones its "designed" to punish will be the ones that don't care anyway.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:22 AM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Welfare was not meant to be a lifestyle. Nobody wants to end helping the poor, ending it as a lifestyle choice and it's use as a political tool need to be ended.

here's that lifestyle your talking about
www.vanshaver.com...
the maximum monthly benefit a family of 3 can receive in tennesee is $185.00...what a grand lifestye
edit on 2-4-2013 by jimmyx because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by tnhiker
I wouldn't support this bill based on the fact that Campfield is the one sponsoring it. He is a shame and an embarrassment to this state.

I was just about to post the *exact* same statement! I guess those of us living in the Knoxville area are all too familiar with the stupidity of Campfield.

Roane County managed to unseat Julia Hurley, maybe Knox County can do the same with their embarrassment.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

reply to post by olaru12

Did it even cross your mind that Campfield is using the welfare debate as a political tool. It's a popular way for conservative politicians to try and solidify their base, generate campaign funds, and ignore the real causes of poverty.

Who wants to buy a Strawman?.....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:38 AM
link   
reply to post by ButterCookie

if you support this bill your entitled but consider this. kids are immature, and do things to hurt their parents. kid nature 101. a lot have no concept of money (i.e. my cousin's twin boys who are 13 and many others...first let me state my cousin and her husband work full time so this isn't about welfare with her). Still you punish the parents for the kids lack of effort in school is to me at best cruel and unusual punishment. some people can't help they are on welfare (yes many abuse it as well). my mother was on welfare and disability when I was young, she had a medical condition and no father in the picture. I didn't do great in school, would the system of made us homeless? all these government and rich idiots (sorry right off the top of my head can't think of a word that makes them as stupid as they are) need to realize if you keep punishing the poor sooner or later it will affect those who walk on them (i.e. them) so they need to get their head out of their ass, hand off their lover while their spouse is away or whatever and fix the system not continue it's decay.
yes my opinions may not be populat but they are mine.
again I ask someone let me know where they get their facts I only have theories to go off of and need some assistance with finding these things. drprime22 at yahoo dot com thanks

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by OneisOne

Originally posted by tnhiker

I was just about to post the *exact* same statement! I guess those of us living in the Knoxville area are all too familiar with the stupidity of Campfield.

Roane County managed to unseat Julia Hurley, maybe Knox County can do the same with their embarrassment.

I hope we do, I cringe every time some new TN bill is on national news sources because I know who sponsored it, and how stupid it is gonna be.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Mother fraker should never be reelected.
This is wrong wrong wrong stupidity.
go back to square one rethink......

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:43 AM
link   
reply to post by jimmyx

I live in Tennessee, i worked maintenance at a low income housing apt building for a few months. I heard people brag about their free housing and $4k a month checks. If the amount has gone down in the last 4 years it is because more people are abusing it and the money just isn't there. I have a niece who was on it for a long time. She and her kids and my sister got a free weeks stay at Disneyland along with cash to spend. I am living right on top of all this crap. I see it firsthand on a daily basis.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:46 AM
link   
Im getting ready to move to Tennessee (or possibly NC),,, and I don't approve of this. I wasn't the best student as a child and my grades were average to below average. But that's because my mind was elsewhere and I hated school and always thought it sucked. I did well in the subjects I enjoyed, and sucked in the classes I hated. So according to this law my mother would get less welfare because I had trouble in school and w/ grades?

That's just dumb.

Why don't they do the same with senators, reps, President, Gov workers, and the people that work at welfare?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Originally posted by olaru12

I find this attitude that all poor people are welfare cheats very mean spirited. Why the need for conservatives to demonize the poor and completely ignore Corporate welfare.

www.newyorker.com...

Keep up this scapegoating of the poor and the GOP will continue to be losers because there are far more Americans struggling economically than Rush L devotees.

Get rid of corporate welfare at the same time.

No reason for either.

oh, tennesee has lots of those:
www.tn.gov...
please...no poor people allowed

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

I don't think you realize just how much "welfare" is in circulation at any given moment. Lets put it this way: close to 60% of all money you or anyone you know will ever see / trade for or exchange is in the system due to social security, TANF, disability, unemployment and food stamps.

Further: 1 in 4 American jobs are $10 / hr or less. These employers are subsidized by "welfare" so that they can enjoy large chunks of their employee-unit's "time" without shouldering the full compensation required to pay for that time.

Without "welfare," the "economy" conveyor-belt at street level would stop circulating, and all of the rest of the fake jobs would dry up as well. That means no more paycheck for the guy who installs garage doors, sells insurance, mops floors, roof's houses, assembles cars, takes calls, sells smokes, or maintains the redbox.

Our "welfare" programs are the liquidity of our day to day street level interactions. Each of us is both the eater and the eaten. That is how equilibrium is maintained.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   
I can't understand why there is opposition to this bill.

First, this bill does not say that the children or the parents will not eat; this does not affect food stamps.

Second, how is this punishing anyone involved? Does it not lead to a more productive society by mandating that parents be involved in their children's education? It is true, after all, that most (not all) criminals and juvenile delinquents come from impoverished environments, especially those receiving life-long aid?

Also, how is this harsh? Is it not realistic for children, regardless of income, to at least maintain a D average? To accept failure is lowering the standards, which are far too low to begin with. Again, the senator is not proposing that the children get into Honors classes or re-write the Declaration of Independence.

We accept failure and do not expect success. That in it self perpetuates generational poverty.
edit on 2-4-2013 by ButterCookie because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:58 AM
link   

reply to post by jimmyx

I live in Tennessee, i worked maintenance at a low income housing apt building for a few months. I heard people brag about their free housing and $4k a month checks. If the amount has gone down in the last 4 years it is because more people are abusing it and the money just isn't there. I have a niece who was on it for a long time. She and her kids and my sister got a free weeks stay at Disneyland along with cash to spend. I am living right on top of all this crap. I see it firsthand on a daily basis.

maybe you can point to an official government website that shows they get free housing and $4,000.00 dollars a month, with trips to Disneyland and extra cash to spend there.....I would like to see that, you know...just to verify what your saying

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join