It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lego To Stop Production Of ‘Star Wars’ Set Due To Anti-Muslim Backlash

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Not sure if this was posted but here we go again with the anti-muslim backlash and objection to many aspects of the western society. I have never witnessed this much insecurity/overprotectiveness in any other religion or religious groups protesting such products.

ENFIELD, Conn. (CBS Connecticut) — Lego will reportedly cease production of a popular “Star Wars” toy set after Muslim communities complained about the product.

The Independent reports that several Muslim groups in Austria claimed “Jabba’s Palace” was anti-Muslim as it showed popular “Star Wars” character Jabba the Hut in a mosque-like lair with a hookah, guns and an imprisoned Chewbacca.

“This sort of thing does not belong in a child’s bedroom,” Melissa Gunes, spokeswoman for Austria’s Turkish Cultural Association, told The Independent. “The game is pedagogical dynamite. It depicts Muslims as terrorists.”

RT News reports that Muslim critics felt “Jabba’s Palace” looked like the Hagia Sophia and the Jami al-Kabir mosques.

SOURCE

edit on 2-4-2013 by hp1229 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:08 AM
link   
Didn't they just do to some movie in India. Because it mentioned Muslim terrorist or something.

Im getting annoyed by certain mind sets.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:09 AM
link   
Yeah....been posted about already.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It's a little bit sad really isn't it...

But, look on the bright side of things... purchase four or five sets now and then flog them in a couple of years time to a Star Wars collector!!!

Kindest respects

Rodinus

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Vasa Croe

According to what staff has said, weeks are enough to separate threads on a similar or same subject? This is separated by almost 4 months?

Do some people run straight for the search to bust Ops on dupe threads? I gotta wonder sometimes.... over 3 months? I posted on that thread, as I found, and didn't even remember it had been run?

@Op

Some people have FAR FAR too much time on their hands and Muslims like these need to get over themselves and mind their own business. That business of the whole Middle East being at war or on the verge of war might be a dandy place to start. It's pathetic that they have their own folks dying back across their Holy Lands and traditional homes and the MOST important thing to focus on???

The design of something that was first thought up 30 years ago. Wow........ That is a real sad state of affairs for at least some of the Muslim community. This is really all they have to focus on? Really??

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

Or possibly not.......

Lego denies discontinuing Jabba's Palace over race claims

According to them, it was due to be fazed out by the end of this year anyway. Face saving or true? (applies to both sides of the argument!).

+2 more 
posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Here is what I do when I don't like something:

I just don't buy/watch/listen to it.

Very simple really. More people should try it.

People are way too easily offended anymore.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Of course, they were going to discontinue it anyway... Why, that reminds me of...

I'm sure it was.... Scheduled well in advance. Indeed.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

According to what staff has said, weeks are enough to separate threads on a similar or same subject? This is separated by almost 4 months?

Do some people run straight for the search to bust Ops on dupe threads? I gotta wonder sometimes.... over 3 months? I posted on that thread, as I found, and didn't even remember it had been run?

@Op

Some people have FAR FAR too much time on their hands and Muslims like these need to get over themselves and mind their own business. That business of the whole Middle East being at war or on the verge of war might be a dandy place to start. It's pathetic that they have their own folks dying back across their Holy Lands and traditional homes and the MOST important thing to focus on???

The design of something that was first thought up 30 years ago. Wow........ That is a real sad state of affairs for at least some of the Muslim community. This is really all they have to focus on? Really??

Nah...just remembered it because my son loves legos. OP asked if it had been posted. I could care less if there are more than one thread on the same subject....was simply linking OP to the original....always good to have history on a subject should someone have made a good point or relevant comments. No need to get your panties in a wad.

edit on 4/2/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

It does make me laugh but like i say, it could be applied to both sides of the argument. As in Lego saying it for a bit of face saving or this particular Muslim group being told it is being discontinued anyway and then, having gone to the trouble of publicising meetings, etc, also deciding to say "victory - it is being discontinued."

It is sad if it turns out Lego caved in but then after the Danish newspaper and Mohammed incidents, i would not blame a Danish company for treading warily!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:37 AM
link   
I'm away to buy some before its all gone as I can stick it on ebay some day and make a mint

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Well,the item in question was NOT A MOSQUE-its was Jabbas palace for crying out loud.
I don't care what it looks like.
Maybe we should ban eggs,mushrooms,observatories and bald headed blokes-as they all have that same dome shape that may offend someone who is muslim?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by Vasa Croe

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000

Nah...just remembered it because my son loves legos. OP asked if it had been posted. I could care less if there are more than one thread on the same subject....was simply linking OP to the original....always good to have history on a subject should someone have made a good point or relevant comments. No need to get your panties in a wad.

edit on 4/2/13 by Vasa Croe because: (no reason given)

lol... You had me wondering. It's all too common to see overlapping threads within days or ..all TOO often, on the same firehose page ...2-3x's. It just struck me as really odd for a catch within a couple minutes of posting across months of time between, that's all. Personal connection sure makes sense.

@ Flavian

You're absolutely right.. That would be equal to both sides wouldn't it? I hadn't thought about that, but sure. If they learned it was to be cut from production anyway, it would be a cheap "victory" to suddenly demand it be for a big public spectacle. Everything is games for the public these days, isn't it?
edit on 2-4-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:44 AM
link   

RT News reports that Muslim critics felt “Jabba’s Palace” looked like the Hagia Sophia and the Jami al-Kabir mosques.

That moment when the Hagia Sophia was originally developed as a Christian Basilica...
edit on 2-4-2013 by daaskapital because: ex

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:48 AM
link   
if you don't like something feel free to ignore/don't buy/watch/read etc. why should anybody pander to a specific group? seriously they think this toy gives them a bad image? i would think it's their radicals killing everyone that does that not a kids toy.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
wah, wah, wah....you hurt my feelings with toys....I WILL KILL YOU!!!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by hp1229

How ridiculous is that?! Those people should get off their religious high horse. Last time I checked Jabba the Hutt didn't look like any of the Muslims I know. Oh! maybe since it's a work of fiction they shouldn't take it too much to heart.

I said it before and I'll say it again, you want to live in the US or Canada, you want to feel welcome in our countries, you want to help stop prejudice against you and yours in our country? There's a simple solution. Stop trying to change our ways. Stop trying to push your will on a country who welcomed you with open arms. If you come to my house and tell me I can't listen to a certain type of music because it's contrary to your religious beliefs, I'll politely warn you not to let the door hit you on your way out.

Their sense of entitlement...well some of them... baffles me. If you left your country because you hated it there, don't come to our country and alienate us. I don't like hating people. And I like to think of myself as a tolerant person but as time goes on and I see new immigrant start dictating to communities what words to display in store fronts, when I see them complaining about centuries old monuments and have them taken down, when I see them get better benefits than a man who worked hard and payed taxes all his life, it kind of pisses me off a bit.

Sorry, about my rant. I'm positive I'm not the only one who feels this way.
edit on 2-4-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

edit on 2-4-2013 by XLR8R because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:16 AM
link   
reply to post by XLR8R

Whilst i would agree with your sentiments, i would point out that Lego are a Danish company (not US or Canadian). And, to be fair, Denmark does not have the best track record when it comes to disgruntled Muslim groups!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I saw this and thought it was ridiculous!!

First of all who cares what the temple Jabba sits in looks like. KIDS don't care! KIDS will still play with it. KIDS will not have hate towards Muslim people over Jabba.

Why do we constantly in this country appease such ridiculous complaints?! Why doesn't LEGO tell them to friggin shove it?!

I get so tired of this country and the politically correct BS that is now rampant here.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   
reply to post by Flavian

Yeah I know. I love Lego's. but I'm from Canada and since I can only speak from my personal experience... Bad track record indeed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join