Who is your Hero?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
Cool choices all

A soppy song for you all

Did I ever tell you you're my heroooooooo!

I will get me coat

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
I do not have heroes, but people who either inspire me or make me see the world differently. Margaret Thatcher because of her tough character and I found her to be very beautiful. Karl Rove because of how he does his research. Jack Welch is awesome. Ayn Rand for her atheism and individualism; even though I'm a capitalism, I disagree with her economic views. Winston Churchill, Alexander the Great, Theodore Roosevelt, Malcolm X, James Randi, Anton Szandor LaVey, Joaquín Guzmán Loera, and countless others.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:10 AM
link   
Family always comes first if applicable, so my father. Probably the best bass player I have ever met and I never would have started playing myself if not for him. One of his bands opened up a show for The Rolling Stones in the late '60s, and later got hired to play in Andy Gibb's band for a few years (youngest brother of The Bee Gees). He wasn't really famous or anything, but I always found that pretty damn cool

In terms of non-family, one person who had a big impact on the way I look at the world and modern society would be Greg Graffin, who founded a band called Bad Religion in the early '80s which had a considerable amount of mainstream success through the 90s and early 2000s, while at the same time attending UCLA and Cornell to earn a master's degree in geology and a Ph.D. in zoology and currently is a professor of Life Science at UCLA. Anybody that can find the time to tour worldwide with a band, be involved in political activism, AND be a professor deserves a round of applause in my books. I can just imagine the look on the faces of the parents when their kids go home on holidays and tell them that their professor is also in a punk band

Oh, and he's also a proud atheist

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:56 AM
link   
What an odd thing.

I have none. Never thought about it. But yeah, I cannot consider anyone really.

At most.. Craig Ferguson. For his ability to get clean and stay clean and not go mental in the process.

God knows it's bloody hard...

edit on 2-4-2013 by winofiend because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:51 AM
link   
My hero/heros are not famous rich people, but rather the family members and friends who have inspired me with their widom, love and compassion, who have stayed by my side through my darkest hours and showed me the sun shining on the other side.
edit on 2-4-2013 by Night Star because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by winofiend

I remember him before he went to the states, he was a punk comedian and I always wondered what happened to him then saw him on his show, watch it every week now still funny and very intelligent.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Who is your Hero?

I dunno that I really have a 'hero' in a personal sense.

I was raised a latchkey kid by a single mother during a time when such a situation was looked down upon by society so... she fits the bill.

I have an ex-wife who, had she not come along when she did and somehow, managed to get pregnant (how did that happen?) and then see me join the army... I may well be in prison or dead by now.

I had a brother who might have been a lot more had I gotten the chance to know him before cancer did.

I don't see anyone else getting close

Now, as for those who had an effect on my life? Jimi Hendrix, JFK. MLK, Janis Joplin, Crosby, Stills, Nash and Young... Grand Funk Railroad, Pink Floyd, Kansas, Boston, The Moody Blues and Black Oak Arkansas come to mind.

edit on 2-4-2013 by redoubt because: had to add a band

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   
My husband.
He is the first person in my life who loves me for me unconditionally. He is the first person I have been able to trust to be reliable and trustworthy. He has stood beside me in our darkest days and we have come through the other side of adversities even stronger than we went in. He is an excellent dad, strong and kind. He teaches our boys to respect and love, and at the same time teaches them true strength.
It may be cliche, but he is truly my night in shining armor, my hero.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:34 PM
link   
My father for taking care of me and teaching me how to be a man.

Max "Doc" Sacks for saving so many peoples lives. RIP 2010

John "Mac" McMillen for saving my life. RIP 2005

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I've always admired Steven Stayner.

Steven was 7 years old when he was kidnapped. At 14, when his abductor (child molester Kenneth Parnell) had gotten hold of 5 year old Timothy White, he decided to risk his life to save the little one from the hell he himself had been submitted to. Steven took Timothy and escaped, taking the little boy to the police station so he could be returned home.

On August 28, 2010, a statue of Steven Stayner and Timmy White was dedicated in Applegate Park in Merced, California. Residents of Ukiah, the hometown of Timmy White, carved a statue showing a teenage Stayner with young Timmy White in hand while escaping their captivity. Fundraisers for the statue have stated that it is meant to honor Steven Stayner and give families of missing and kidnapped children hope that they are still alive.

Source

The Steven Stayner Foundation is dedicated to the safety of all children through:

Prevention & Education

Educating and empowering children, parents, and communities so that children do not become victims and by supporting programs which build self-reliance and emergency skills without fear.

Response

Responding to child abductions and missing children by using our expertise and techniques to assist families, other agencies, and law enforcement in the rapid response and rapid recovery of abducted children.

Legislation

Working with elected officials and government agencies to inform and educate the public in order to effect changes which will ensure that children can be safe in their own homes and communities.

Steven Stayner Foundation

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Casandra

I think he is one of mine too after reading that.
Thank you.

Thanks to all some great Heroes you all have

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:45 PM
link   

Hitchins is still one of my heroes, but right now I'm following Pat Condell. I LOVE this guy! He's brilliant, he's funny, and he pulls no punches. He's just awesome.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:55 PM
link   
I know it may sound trite to some, but my hero since I was 11 is Gandhi. I was fascinated by his life and his convictions at a young age.

I loved Pink Floyd too btw - but not to hero status

Who I think are heroes are all the people in the world, past, present and future who stood up for what is right.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Siddhārtha Gautama Buddha

Unperturbed by the wickedness of the world, Siddhārtha Gautama, the original Buddha, showed humans the path to enlightenment. Of course, like the teachings of all spiritual heroes, humanity on the whole still doesn't get it.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:46 PM
link   
reply to post by DeReK DaRkLy

exactly what I was thinking, I starred you for that!

Some of my other Heros are:
My parents
Capt sully Sullenberger
michio kaku....

posted on Apr, 4 2013 @ 02:46 PM
link   
John Lydon - for being John Lydon.

Joe Strummer - for those lyrics.

John Lilburne - for his inner strength, his commitment and his politics.

Peter Lorimer - my childhood sporting hero.

David Eddings / Raymond E Feist - for providing me with countless hours of escapist entertainment.

ETA
Oops - forgot

My Dad - for being my best mate, for being straight and genuine with me, for sticking by me despite everything and not least for introducing me to beer.
edit on 4/4/13 by Freeborn because: Add ETA

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:40 PM
link   

Very poignant!

That never fails to bring a lump to my throat and on one occasion in my life when

things were on the 'black' side for me it even brought out a full 'sobbing episode'

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Rolf Haris

posted on Apr, 5 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
I admire many people for their, works, devotion, sacrifices, and achievements during

their life time ...some of them even mentioned on this thread!!

I am not a religious person, but have found many things in the bible that have formed

for me a basis by which I live. But one thing that has puzzled me has been the obscene

riches
of the churches and the expensive elaborate 'costumes' and 'ceremonies' when

there are people and children dying of starvation and diseases in the world...something

that comes to mind "suffer the little children to come unto me"...SO with that in mind

I find I am gaining a lot of respect for the new Pope and his humble down to earth

attitude
and disregard for all the trappings of his position.

posted on Apr, 6 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
My hero is the me who I desire to be, not the me that I often cave into being in order to fit in, to be a good employee, a proper citizen, a polite neighbor, etc. The me who stands for truth, justice and what’s right (whether or not it contradicts my given role or is what anyone wants to hear.) The me who does not look the other way from, go along with or force false enthusiasms for things I don't believe in. The me who has the guts to rip a liar’s web wide open, to tell a boss where to stick the raw deal or to stand up to a room full of morons. I've been him at times, but all too often I just...play along.

I think that's what we all want, and why we idolize ‘heroes.’ Deep down, we all want to be more than that false, easy façade which we show of ourselves (it just clothes who we are inside.)

new topics

<< 1    3 >>

join