It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea 'to restart Yongbyon nuclear reactor'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:43 AM
link   
North Korea says it will restart all facilities at its main Yongbyon nuclear complex, which it shut in 2007, including a mothballed reactor.

A statement carried by KCNA news agency said the move would bolster North Korea's nuclear forces "in quality and quantity".

The move is the latest in a series of measures by Pyongyang in the wake of its third nuclear test in February.

It has been angered by UN sanctions and joint US-South Korea military drills.

The reactor at Yongbyon was closed in July 2007 as part of a disarmament-for-aid deal that later stalled.

www.bbc.co.uk...

oh dear oh dear.

Still, this should provide a nice static target don't you think?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:46 AM
link   
The cooling tower has to be rebuilt so... it will take time to rebuild. It wont be ready anytime soon...

This changes nothing...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by FraternitasSaturni

True, I seriously doubt it will get that far to be honest.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
reply to post by CaptainBeno

This may be what causes the US/UN/SK to strike first. Bad news in an already bad situation, he's going to make more nukes to threaten who he see's fit.

Crazy......crazy.......fool.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Catch_a_Fire

Seriously, this guy has a screw loose (just in case you didn't know already).

How far can he push.

I guess he is going to find out the hard way hey? Shame, he could have just gone back to X-BOX and C.O.D but no, he had to "restart the reactors"................D*ckhead.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

I dont understand how any nation can let him do this after the last two weeks of nuclear threats. China, SK, and Japan, as a collective, should be now drawing up plans so this never happens. Mainly for the safety of their own regions but also to do the world a favour.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   
It seems to me this kim jong-un guy is an attention seeker.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Catch_a_Fire

I dont understand how any nation can let him do this after the last two weeks of nuclear threats. China, SK, and Japan, as a collective, should be now drawing up plans so this never happens. Mainly for the safety of their own regions but also to do the world a favour.

As has been said in other threads, maybe this is the reason China is putting its military on the highest of alerts. They maybe are getting ready to squash this problem?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

Possible and slightly worrying.

This guy is a loon.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by wondermost

From my understanding, if China nuked NK, the Chinese people would probably turn against their government. During the last (unfinished) Korean war, most of the chinese soldiers were volunteers, wanting to fight for Korea.

Something more seems to be going on that we're not party to.......im sure.
edit on 2/4/2013 by Catch_a_Fire because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:29 AM
link   
There be Iron Ore in them hills!

Could China want control of NK's resources? For the next boom!.....so to speak.

Saves paying big time in Australia?

Just a thought, it would be like taking candy from a baby.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:35 AM
link   

N. Korea should be handled the way Russia handled Chernobyl . Massive amounts of concrete from above, and every side.

jmoho...Des

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:05 AM
link   
I hope they won't blow them selfs up, by restarting it ...

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

They should also save some cement for the USA. Or maybe just your house? :-)

The USA needs to focus on its own problems and less about what the rest of the world is doing. Needless provocation from your side will only further endanger the rest of us in the Asian region.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   
reply to post by Samuelis

Yeah, that's right. We should just leave them alone to get on with building nukes or whatever.....

Seriously?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:40 AM
link   
So pretty much all that noise for the past couple of weeks was to start this particular reactor?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   

My bet is that a) China would never nuke any neighbor, and b) the buildup is more about preventing a flood of refugees, than aiding or punishing NK....

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

My bet is that a) China would never nuke any neighbor, and b) the buildup is more about preventing a flood of refugees, than aiding or punishing NK....
Precisely what everyone that I know indicated the same. Not just the nuclear fall out but refugees are a big concern. If not for China's request, US would have done something about it.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Thats very plausible, although id expect them to put a "buffer zone" just inside NK for this. We'd also be more likely to see logistical movements, not necessarily jets and the like.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 10:04 AM
link   

There are ways to use jets to prevent refugees....not ways we'd likely approve of...but ways China would employ...

From the conventional stance, there's using them to take out roads and bridges, etc. From a nonconventional stance, nothing says "Keep Out" like a row of charred bodies....

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join