It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA really did find a nearby Brown Dwarf!! With Pics!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 05:41 AM
link   
What concerns me most is this:

"The distance to this brown dwarf pair is 6.5 light-years -- so close that Earth's television transmissions from 2006 are now arriving there,"

This means any advanced civilisation that may be living nearby will already be receiving broadcasts of the X-Factor....this does not bode well for humanities image amongst the stars.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by woogleuk

Ye gads! Worse than that.....big brother!

Indeed, not a great way to advertise ourselves

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:13 AM
link   
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

Big Brother is waaaay out there now, at least 12 light years, from Proxima Centauri to Tau Ceti and even a tad further..............

They are laughing at us don't ya know.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyInTheOintment
reply to post by siliconpsychosis

It's not really about detection, but rather about disclosure.

Would 'they' tell the masses if a threatening planet-sized spacecraft was approaching from far off in the Southern skies, perhaps carrying the 'gods' of olden days?...

I'm sorry, but why wouldn't astronomers tell us if the Sun had a brown-dwarf companion?

Obviously there have been no huge bodies such as a brown dwarf that have rippied through the solar system recently (if there was, orbital analysis of the planets would still show signs of this -- and it doesn't). Therefore, if the Sun has a brown dwarf companion, then that brown dwarf has been out there minding its own business for a long time -- maybe a few billion years.

Why would it matter now if we found out it was there all along?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   
What I find interesting is that this brown dwarf system can be found on old DSS and 2MASS surveys, and you can even see the motion of the system if you compare the two images.

If the system so close has been visible on past survey, but has only been discovered now, what else is there that we haven't yet seen.

LOL at the "disclosure" guys. Amateur astronomers routinely discover new comets and asteroids; if there was a planet-sized object coming into the planetary region of the Solar System, they would discover it sooner or later. I've heard from a respectable amateur astronomer that a Jupiter-sized planet on the outer edge of the Kuiper belt would be brighter than Pluto.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by wildespace
What I find interesting is that this brown dwarf system can be found on old DSS and 2MASS surveys, and you can even see the motion of the system if you compare the two images.

If the system so close has been visible on past survey, but has only been discovered now, what else is there that we haven't yet seen.

LOL at the "disclosure" guys. Amateur astronomers routinely discover new comets and asteroids; if there was a planet-sized object coming into the planetary region of the Solar System, they would discover it sooner or later. I've heard from a respectable amateur astronomer that a Jupiter-sized planet on the outer edge of the Kuiper belt would be brighter than Pluto.

That's really cool

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:21 PM
link   
YES...Nibiru threads live on! I'm a believer of this hypothetical object. It exists somewhere...we just don't know where.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Do you have links to the original images for confirmation?

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   

I see that, so we have to wait for this, 'Allwise' project that might just throw up other stuff??

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Willease
Do you have links to the original images for confirmation?

I got the images used in my animation from skyview.gsfc.nasa.gov...
It's a site where you can get images from many past surveys (including 2MASS and WISE), if you provide the coordinates or the name of the target. The name of this brown dwarf system, WISE J104915.57-531906, tells us that it's located at 10 49 15.57, -53 19 06. You can copy&paste those coordinates into the search box, select one or more surveys you want to use, fine-tune the parameters, and click Submit Request button.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyInTheOintment

Would 'they' tell the masses if a threatening planet-sized spacecraft was approaching from far off in the Southern skies, perhaps carrying the 'gods' of olden days?

Nope "they" wouldn't, Most likely Nasa or some other space agency would or I would as I have a great view of the southern skies .

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 08:49 AM
link   
reply to post by radpetey

Why will it be a decade of sorrow? You should read some Ray Kurzweil, the futurist. Then revisit your predictions.

Mankind is due to leap forward exponentially in the next couple of decades with Nuclear Fusion and brainpower-level Supercomputers.

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Autocrat14
reply to post by radpetey

Why will it be a decade of sorrow? You should read some Ray Kurzweil, the futurist. Then revisit your predictions.

Mankind is due to leap forward exponentially in the next couple of decades with Nuclear Fusion and brainpower-level Supercomputers.

Yeah awesome and thanks to transhumanists we soon wont even have to leave the house anymore! Free uploading your brain to an HDD for everyone! Done with having to get that smartphone out of your pocket to go on facebook, soon we'll all be alble to live there virtually!

You can believe in fairytales all you want you know, but as long as we dont even.have.our basic # together, im not buying it. There are to this day still people starving in our advanced western civilization, not to mention how we systemically ignore the third world etc

The only future tech I can look forward to is complete global automation, which wont work as long as capitalism is king and people want it all for themselves. We already have the technology to feed the planet, give people time to do more useful things than work a dead end job every day, etc, but why strive for a better PLANET when we can all ignore problems and look forward to tech only the elite will have access to? Unless you're one.of them I dont see a reason to wish for scifi, its worse enough as it is.
edit on 3-4-2013 by Strawberry88 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
And they are a binary system too. There are two brown dwarfs. They are the third closest stars to our solar system, at 6.5 light years.

NASA's Wide-field Infrared Survey Explorer (WISE) has discovered a pair of stars that has taken over the title for the third-closest star system to the sun. The duo is the closest star system discovered since 1916. Both stars in the new binary system are "brown dwarfs," which are stars that are too small in mass to ever become hot enough to ignite hydrogen fusion. As a result, they are very cool and dim, resembling a giant planet like Jupiter more than a bright star like the sun.

Pics here

Something closer, 1 to 2 - 2.5 Lys?
It doesn't have to be, but may be.
If not, there must be some other reason for Sedna's orbyt...
Something is stretching its orbyt, and of other outer cosmic bodies of Solar System, too

posted on Apr, 3 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by HawkeyeNation

The Red Kachina!! Possibly visible in June!! Gigs up boys

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join