It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How on ATS do we Really deconstruct disinformation? It's in every thread...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

People also have a right to believe certain things. If they want to discuss how they believe the stars in the sky are an illusion or a dream they had about the world ending tomorrow that is one of the reasons this site is so popular I imagine.

No disrespect but I feel its a bit harsh to put others down and criticize their threads simply because you do not believe their content.

There are plenty of threads I see that are way out there but I simply chuckle to myself and move on. I don't feel the urge to create an entire thread about it.

But you certainly have the right to express your opinions.

It just would be nice if you extended the same courtesy to others.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:34 PM
link   
I think as time goes by it gets easier to distinguish between those that get easily offended and are always looking for a fight, someone who just heard about the JFK incident and found ATS by chance, someone who is clearly a person who likes to disrupt threads ( I have a theory on that and have noticed a pattern on when they come out), and then those that really see ATS as a place where they have questions and can get answers.

I stick round for those people, not because they need direction, or have so many questions, but they usually come up with the most interesting perspectives and questions, and even cause me to think twice, I personally love some of the stuff skunkworks has, some of it you can see they want attention, but some out there really think outside the box.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
I think as time goes by it gets easier to distinguish between those that get easily offended and are always looking for a fight, someone who just heard about the JFK incident and found ATS by chance, someone who is clearly a person who likes to disrupt threads ( I have a theory on that and have noticed a pattern on when they come out), and then those that really see ATS as a place where they have questions and can get answers.

I stick round for those people, not because they need direction, or have so many questions, but they usually come up with the most interesting perspectives and questions, and even cause me to think twice, I personally love some of the stuff skunkworks has, some of it you can see they want attention, but some out there really think outside the box.

Peace, NRE.

Yeah I hear you and agree with most of what you said.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Double again. Today is a day of single clicks turning into double and triple clicks.

Sorry all.
edit on 4/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

People also have a right to believe certain things.

I agree with that .

What I don't agree with is when after they present those beliefs, they either insult doubters, say what they BelLIEve is Truth, or accuse people with simple logical questions as haters, shills, disinfo agents, the damned.

And you know what? You see that a lot more often now than previously.

...........And for you starting to come full circle to my OP.

Just nsayibg.

You can believe what you want to.

I have a problem when it starts to be preached to the many thousand ATS members.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:51 PM
link   
I've been reading ATS many a year,
even if not registered
and I think there are more than a few like me.

Because I too was upset at the dreamers not even understanding the topic they were talking over,
I started treating the dream threads with respect,
people have things to say and I want to hear them.
That way they don't tip over the other discussions.

I believe ats was originally manifest in the collective subconscious as the honeypot designed in this show

After "The Event" some agents investigating it create a "conspiracy" website hoping someone with knowledge will post there.

I think the time period the OP is referring too can be divide exactly at this moment.

Prior posting quality was borderline scholarly.

Suddenly conspiracy sites become one of the sounding boards of America as millions turned up here to see what people are saying.

The old timers commented on it.
The transition was about 2 years.
Only the cowboys remain.

One day in one heated discussion one veteran poster who was being trolled said "I'm tired of all these sheep"

I said "If your a cowboy ... and there are a lot of sheep ... quit talking about herding them ... and just start herding them."

I think you'll remember OP that it took us about 2 years to realize,
they weren't sheep. They were trolls.

The ones who remain I consider cowboy scholars.

But I treat every post I read like that.
So that anyone on day one can lay it out
and I'll give their word the full faith and credit
as though they were a scholar from day one
and survived the troll stampede.

Unless shown otherwise.

Cause the smartest people I can find on the entire internet are right here.
And I certainly don't object to their high horse.

Oh and
I stopped typing like a scholar
and took Douglas Adams wiki advice and started writing like a radio transcript.
Even if I can't spell.

The internet is troll country.
Keep that six shooter oiled.

Mike Grouchy

edit on 1-4-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
Is it just me?
No, it's not. I think the level of discourse has deteriorated, the political trolling has been virulent and the ambient IQ appears to be plummeting rapidly. What disappoints me the most is that aggressive ignorance appears to be carrying the day.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:03 PM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

the ambient IQ

F I like that phrase man.

Yeah it's degraded. But what do progressively old-timers do to deal?

Re-but? Complain? Present the facts or most logical reasons first--before delving into the wildest most speculative?

A question.

(Although I love your thoughts on the "money pit" would love to see you put up a thread about that one, yeah?)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:15 PM
link   

reply to post by JohnnyCanuck

the ambient IQ

F I like that phrase man.

Yeah it's degraded. But what do progressively old-timers do to deal?

Even a Cowboy
covered in troll droppings
can look pretty dumb.

But it washes off.

Mike Grouchy
edit on 1-4-2013 by mikegrouchy because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mikegrouchy

Even a Cowboy covered in troll droppings can look pretty dumb. But it washes off.

Cowboy Bebop in the flesh.

But yeah it does wash off.

I guess I' may be too worried about those it doesn't wash off of.

ETA: Maybe I'm not supposed to be, but I thought caring about fellow human beings was kind of ingrained....now I'm not so sure anymore.
edit on 4/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

It just would be nice if you extended the same courtesy to others.

To express your opinions?

I think you have.

And I didn't alert MODS about a breach in the "zone".

FFS I am just saying I might not accept things as easily ands quickly as you might.

You have your say...just damn well let me have mine.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:29 PM
link   
I hate to tell you this OP but those double posts of yours do not seem to be just a coincidence today. Are you sure your subconscious isn't trying to warn you?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:37 PM
link   

op, I have seen what your talking about, I also agree with most of it. I lurked for a long time, then I joined.

I notice people posting in the science forums, with complete bs, and then wont even listen to those with actual understanding about the topic of discussion. all the while parroting ignorance, that the ignorant jump on enmass, and continue hammering their nonsensical tripe for pages on end.

All while claiming"we don't know everything, so we don't know anything". Like this is somehow a proof of concept.

I believe you were there.

I was also awash in abject amazement at some of the responses.

I don't go into the philosophy and metaphysics forum, or any of the other paranormal forums, as I cant stop myself from typing how much idiocy I see, so I abstain.

How does one convince themselves they are better able to understand the workings of the universe than all the greatest minds that ever lived, and more, try to sell their nonsense in a science forum, visited daily by people who majored in science in college like myself and many others that visit and participate in the science forums?

I try to be gentle, but at times, I just want to go outside and punch a baby deer in the face. So I just walk away for awhile until I can control myself, then I come back and see further replies, which once again trigger my punch a baby deer in the face coping mechanism.

Be strong op, it takes all kinds.

Maybe one day, one of these people will actually overturn science, too bad it wont be with knowledge, but something more like the religion or metaphysics forum.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rickymouse

I starred you for the obvious inference.

But I really Do have some glitch today with my left-clicks.

But if I may to read further into what you said:

my thread being posted tree (3) times at once seemed a bit given -- not having anything to do with the 1st of April.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:43 PM
link   

I think a lot of people use an appeal to authority to prop up their own ideas and theories.

When you speak in absolutes, about something even experts have barely cracked the surface of, you are appealing to an (invisible) authority. Most of the Internet is infected with this fallacy. You see it in chain emails, falsely claiming that such and such celebritard said this or that. How desperate do you have to be for validation to claim an actor thought of your idea first?

If you are going to put it out there, own it completely. Give credit where its due and don't rely on some unseen authority to make your theories more interesting. It's good advice - and policy - for all of us.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by inverslyproportional

Yeah...... new revelations in science CAN come from dreams.
Like Einstein.

He came up with groundbreaking ideas and proofs to match, ............and lost in the crowd of his theories (I think after meeting with Hubble) he said we are in an "omni-centric universe".

So wherever you are in the entire universe...you are in the center.

And then I read that every coronal hole on the sun is a stargate ..... I throw -up a little in my mouth.
All that from sites that say they are from the Pleidies and the "Galactic Council" channeling stories about wars around the sun 20-30 years ago.

Like nobody would have noticed that.

Oh well.

Like Ali, sometimes you have to do the "rope-a-dope" and take it, then come back with the killer punch.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Knives4eyes
reply to post by intrptr

The day I can send an E-slap or iSlap will be a glorious day indeed.

How about an electric shock?

Edit to add: I got it. To log on you must wear a collar. A voting system where people can vote your posts up or down. If enough negative votes come in you get a buzz. Troll and zzzt, you get knocked the f*** out.

Sort of reinforced good behavior. Imagine how polite people would be then.

NOT...
edit on 2-4-2013 by intrptr because: to add

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:11 AM
link   

So wherever you are in the entire universe...you are in the center.

I thought I made that up?

Or, Where is everybody? In their own little world.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:49 AM
link   
The best way to use deconstruction is to attack the logic.

You will assess the logic as you look for inconsistencies and mistakes.

You then must address the exact failures (most likely fallacies and faulty assumptions) and possible equivocations.

You must go tit for tat and GIVE credit where it is due... not just simply be petty and dismissive.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 12:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyCanuck

Is it just me?
No, it's not. I think the level of discourse has deteriorated, the political trolling has been virulent and the ambient IQ appears to be plummeting rapidly. What disappoints me the most is that aggressive ignorance appears to be carrying the day.

That does seem to be the trend. Insults by the Right wing conservatives are allowed to stand and almost encouraged. I wonder what happened to the rules against personal insults or insults to groups that see a situation differently. As a "people like you" I've accepted my second class designation and am almost afraid to complain.
edit on 2-4-2013 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join