It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How on ATS do we Really deconstruct disinformation? It's in every thread...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:30 PM
link   
Is it just me?

Am i nuts? (ok don't answer that)

I would estimate of ALL recently made threads that about 80% is disinformation whether through intentional means or simple ignorance.

Just MY estimation IMHO.

I look back at the "classic" threads from way before my time here and there is actual research, intelligent debate, and REAL issues.

What happened to that?

Even in the recent spake of North Korea threads there is all (now realize I'm open-minded, but skeptical) this hyperbolic language and pure speculation put in forum NOT labeled "Highly Speculative" and such.

There seems to have always been an us vs them" thing on ATS (whoever the "them" is) but ....

OK I'll say it outright:
Are the True believers and Speculative personalities over-talking everyone else, or is it just my perception?

I love how smyleegrl and Pred and Harte and Byrd and others give use the real deal on ancient mysteries, and how Phage gives actual FACTS (gasp) on scientific issues, many others like Soylent or ErikTA or countless others...............................

BUT there are multitudes of others "Constructing Disinformation" daily in every forum everyday.

Is this just the trend of our society now?

Present your thoughts or personal beliefs as FACT?

Or is it hubris....anonymity...deluded people...intentional attempts to misguide or troll?

I can't tell anymore.

I know from my experience and studies and my gut what is BS and what isn't..........but I ask again.

Is it just me?

Or am I just getting to sensitive or fed up with it?
edit on 4/1/2013 by Chamberf=6 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:41 PM
link   
What if I said that this is just a social experiment regarding news, human interaction, and how the mind of an ATS'er thinks in regards to information in order to monetize it.

click about the Above network......

link   
reply to post by Chamberf=6

My thoughts for what they are worth ..
Focus on the 20% that you find are really well researched .. that is still quite alot of threads that are of good quality ?
peace

link   

link   
Every click double for me today, a bit annoying.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
I don't think you're being sensitive. I read this website quite a lot. I know what you're saying is true. I don't really get much into discussions about things because I've been wrong plenty of times. Just when I turn my fear into hope, something somehow turns it back into fear.

I don't understand what's actually going on in this world. Sure, we all have our viewpoints. I thought if you had enough logic and intuition about things you could easily connect the dots for yourself. I figured I was a logical person with intuition about things. Maybe it's me that is consistently wrong.

Maybe I am a nutcase to believe in many of the discussions talked about here. My mind isn't so open that my brain falls out, but it's open to alternative viewpoints. That's for sure!!

I think the goal is to somehow get to the truth about things.. I truly believe in a shadowy group of rich men who pull the strings on world society as a whole. We all know the saying, power corrupts and absolute power corrupts absolutely.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
I would estimate of ALL recently made threads that about 80% is disinformation whether through intentional means or simple ignorance.

Just MY estimation IMHO.

Wow, you're being generous...

And then I would guess that at least 80% of that number is about stuff that's near impossible to *prove* false (god, creationism, ufos, ghosts, nwo, etc, etc), but that's what the site is all about, right? If you want truly serious discussion rooted in what most people consider reality, go to a politics, physics, medical, or astronomy forum.. this is truly the fringe, so much so that in all likelihood, it's not true...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:57 PM
link   
reply to post by redtic

But so much of it is presented as "Fact" or "Proof" or "Evidence" when it's really nothing of the sort.

It's those OP's opinion or speculations being presented as FACT to thousands of people, some of who will buy into "nonsense" willingly and undoubtingly.

sorry it bugs me.

There are a lot of reasons I keep on with ATS and why I still will even if the reasons Seem to be dwindling in the growing Population of the site.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:08 PM
link   

I have to agree with you

The level of vitriol on some of these "speculative" threads has also increased over the years......I've lost count of the number of times I've been labelled a troll or a naysayer....or my personal favourite a "government shill"
......and all for posting a scientific fact or a personal opinion.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:32 PM
link   
In my opinion, ATS is a lot like the local pub or coffee house. There will be all kinds of conversations and discussions that will run the gamut of fact to fiction and back to fact and on and on. I enjoy it for that very reason. I listen in when highly educated contributors discuss incredible topics that I am not knowledgeable in, I chuckle at the humor of various posters and smile when others communicate wisdom with such grace and kindness. I watch with keen attention when debaters begin to trade punches from their respective corners. Don't we see the same incident of stories without facts or proof, of tall tales and fish that got away without pictures. We don't stop going to our favorite pub or coffee house so why would we stop going to ATS? I enjoy being part of that social fabric. So lets have another round and listen to the next story!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Argyll

I've lost count of the number of times I've been labelled a troll or a naysayer....or my personal favourite a "government shill" ......and all for posting a scientific fact or a personal opinion.

But there are no longer any scientific "facts". And your opinion is wrong. My opinion is the only one that matters.

I wish so many times I could just glimpse the person on the other side of the screen. It would go a long way to deciding if I am going to converse with that individual. Like when you go to a bar or pool hall and right away you know which end to gravitate to and who you will avoid for the evening.

But here an attitude, insult, or discrediting remark is faceless. They know that and it is the "fun part". A good time or fulfilling moment for some is an internet session having known that they insulted someone and got away with it. What deep satisfaction courses through that thin membrane... tee hee hee.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by intrptr

The day I can send an E-slap or iSlap will be a glorious day indeed.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6
But so much of it is presented as "Fact" or "Proof" or "Evidence" when it's really nothing of the sort.

It's those OP's opinion or speculations being presented as FACT to thousands of people, some of who will buy into "nonsense" willingly and undoubtingly.

sorry it bugs me.

There are a lot of reasons I keep on with ATS and why I still will even if the reasons Seem to be dwindling in the growing Population of the site.

Totally agree with all that. I think the reason I stick around is I've always had an interest in the paranormal, though that interest has taken a decidedly skeptical bent in the 2nd half of my life. If anything, I actually do learn from ATS - I take many of the threads you speak of as a challenge to myself to at least prove to myself they're wrong, if not to the OP - I know I know a lot more about earthquakes, solar flares and climate than before I joined

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I stepped back a bit from writing here the day that I wrote a very well thought out thread with tons of info, and pictures, and had much, much more that would have blown peoples minds and it actually got moved to skunkworks, I was offended to say the least and just started to me back.

I dont know what will happen later on in the life of ATS, but I will continue to try and write threads that I think are important and if they reach some Im ok with that, but I am no longer looking for or expecting the kinds of responses that I would have gotten a few years ago.

Good Luck, NRE.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:57 PM
link   
So here is a thread with absolutely no topic let alone any evidence criticizing threads that at least are discussing something.

Why does the OP not show us a single thread which contains this misinformation he speaks of? Sure he may now that hes been called out but why wasn't it posted in the first place.

Once again, a thread with absolutely no information in it.

Seems to me like the OP here is falling into the same thing he is complaining about.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Hopechest

Maybe its because he/she is aware that the T&C frown upon members calling out others. He can openly state his/her opinion about the matter, but not actually add threads and member names, even if it werent against the T&C its just rude.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest
So here is a thread with absolutely no topic let alone any evidence criticizing threads that at least are discussing something.

Why does the OP not show us a single thread which contains this misinformation he speaks of? Sure he may now that hes been called out but why wasn't it posted in the first place.

Once again, a thread with absolutely no information in it.

Seems to me like the OP here is falling into the same thing he is complaining about.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Hopechest because: (no reason given)

I starred you because I did NOT call out some of the most deluded/hoxer/disinformation people here because I was trying to follow T&C's.

If you get what I'm saying, you get it.

If you don't (or in your case seem almost defensive over it) you don't Get It.

I asked a lot of questions in the OP. answer for those? (I have a prediction and/or prophecy.)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:10 PM
link   

Fair enough.

It seems to me that you are wanting this forum to be a research site with peer reviewed data which you can then use to extrapolate an opinion of your own.

The many members here probably are not qualified in many of the subjects they wish to discuss nor have the time to put together the kind of post your hoping for.

Some do but that should not be the standard upon which you critique every thread. Instead this is an open forum, without strict guidelines, for people to discuss current events they have an opinion on. Many topics are simply an opening to discuss the issue further, not meant, nor should they be, to be an in depth analysis of any given topic.

People who wish to learn more about something that is brought up are free to do further research on their own but I do not believe it should be a requirement of the original poster.

Sometimes its just nice to chit chat about a topic without over-analyzing it.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hopechest

Fair enough.

It seems to me that you are wanting this forum to be a research site with peer reviewed data which you can then use to extrapolate an opinion of your own.

The many members here probably are not qualified in many of the subjects they wish to discuss nor have the time to put together the kind of post your hoping for.

Some do but that should not be the standard upon which you critique every thread. Instead this is an open forum, without strict guidelines, for people to discuss current events they have an opinion on. Many topics are simply an opening to discuss the issue further, not meant, nor should they be, to be an in depth analysis of any given topic.

People who wish to learn more about something that is brought up are free to do further research on their own but I do not believe it should be a requirement of the original poster.

Sometimes its just nice to chit chat about a topic without over-analyzing it.

Not so!

But I also don't want it to become / devolve into "I said it i think it and if you disagree you are shills, asleep, disinfo agents, unenlightened" W/E.

But to put a post up that says we are all going to die in a few day/week/months/.....................and they are always wrong,..............or to say the sun is not a star but an illusion and also somehow conversely a "stargate"
...yes I truly thin IMO it is either intentional disinformation to discredit the site, or dumb-down people, or Pure ignorance.------------------------------Which this site in it's motto denies.

So yeah I Do have a slight difficulty with that.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:19 PM
link   
.double once again today

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join