It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food snob? No not really. I just know and appreciate good food :)

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Does preferring a nice meal that is properly cooked make you a food snob or picky? Well according to my fiancee, sorry honey lol, I'm picky.

I don't see it as picky! There are a few things I don't like to eat peas and beans, never have and never will. I dont mind beans in things like soup but peas no way no how! I don't see how those two things make me picky. I also don't see how expecting a meal to be cooked properly makes me picky.

Now the next thing is when food is wrong I WILL say something whereas my fiancee would rather I shut it and eat it. Well why would I eat something that isn't cooked right that i have to pay for? I won't do it. As someone who cooks I expect a meal that i pay for to be up to par and not one i have to send back. I don't have to do it often but if my meal is wrong I will let you know but politely unless you continue to screw it up then I'm not so pleasant

Example. There is a local place I have been to a few times with my fiancee and his mom for breakfast well they just suck tbh. The service is bad and the food isn't great and it's always wrong. For example I ordered an omelette and asked for no onion and it came with onion, BOTH times I sent it back it had onion in it. I just kept it and gave up at that point. I don't mind onion but while pregnant they make me have bad heartburn so I try not to eat them. I should just stick to saying I'm allergic, that seems to work lol. Then the other day I went there with his mom and I ordered an omelette that comes with bacon well I get the omelette and start eating it only to realize there is NO bacon in it! Ugh can you imagine no bacon :O I asked for a side of bacon instead since the meal is suppose to have bacon in it! I don't know why they like this place and I will never go back again. If it is suggested I will just opt out! I have not been one time where they didn't mess up the meal. I ask for my omelette to be cooked twice since I don't like runny omelette's! Got sick as a kid on eggs so runny makes me gag, well each time it's runny so again yea not going back there.

I prefer this one local diner that looks just like a typical small town diner. I love it. They have nice people, good food and I love the oldies on the radio they play! They know how to make an omelette and they are so fast it's unreal! That place is always hopping with business and I've never in 4 yrs had to send my meal back! I tip them 10 bucks each time I go because I love it there and they make the best mexican omelette mmmmm.

Now according to my fiancee these preferences makes me picky! I'd like to know how expecting a meal to come the way it should is picky?! I told him that if he cooked like I did he would understand. It isnt anything against him it's just I feel that if he was a cook he would see my point of view. Funny thing is when he said I'm picky to my mom she said EXACTLY what I said which made me laugh.
I will try any food but there are the few that I just don't prefer, that doesn't make me picky.

There are a few and I mean few places I'll eat at locally and most are locally owned places. We have one local Italian place I just friggin love! They are pretty good and I haven't had a bad meal there since I started eating there.

You will not see me at places like the Olive Garden, unless it's a group thing and I had no say in the location. I don't like chain restaurants really. I do like Longhorn Steakhouse. I went there while my fiancee was home and cleaned up at lunch time. I could so go back and do that all over again. Their onion petals kill The Outbacks Bloomin Onion and their zesty fiesta shrimp appetizer is soooo darn good! I am not sure if that is the name but it's something like that lol. I use to love Chili's but they changed the one thing I ordered there way too much that it's just not the same anymore. I can make cajun chicken pasta at home so why go out for it and pay?! At least I got my cast iron skillet from them before I stopped going there. I use to ask for one of the skillets the fajita's came out on all the time. One day the manager brought our check out and one of the skillets! My friend that I was with just started laughing. He knew I always asked for one lol I swear he made my day. It works great too!

What do you consider to be a picky eater?

For me it's the type that has to alter everything they order and I am just not like that. I might ask you to add something extra, usually mushrooms lol but I dont' go on with a list of changes.

My fiancee says it's hard to go out with me because I'm picky with where I eat. I don't see it as picky just selective. There are a few places I'll eat at but I honestly would rather make the meal myself at home so I know I wont go to bed hungry or have to go home and make something to eat because dinner didn't fill me up.

So tell me your food horror stories!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Nope not me as long as it tastes good I will eat it, nothing food wise I do not like.

A good vid for you here.

Best pie ever

Mind you the only thing that gets my goat up is as an ex fishmonger I know how to clean a prawn (the poo etc) and the amount of times I have been served prawns which hasn't been cleaned....well thats how you get ill.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:06 PM
link   
LOL. I enjoyed your post. Your not a food snob. Your picky. That's not a bad thing. I'm a firm believer that we crave certain foods for certain reason and also loathe others for a certain reason. Your girlfriend is being a bit too harsh.

My weird food phobia's are anything that contain vinegar. This includes nearly every single condiment. People think I'm picky, but vinegar makes me vomit. You will never see me eat in a French restaurant for sure. I'll starve in Greece. I'm way cool with most other food varieties.

It's your stomach and no one else's business. You like what you like. I would never let anyone force feed me their idea of a perfect meal. Runny eggs would make me sick too!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

haha that was funny! I am going to guess that those weren't really the dishes they made. I have never watched that show. Cooking shows make me hungry and I want to cook everything I see lol

I sooo understand the prawn thing! I worked in the seafood dept for a grocery chain thru highschool and after. I learned how to clean them as well and I'm grossed out when Im served uncleaned shrimp! ICK!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker
LOL. I enjoyed your post. Your not a food snob. Your picky. That's not a bad thing. I'm a firm believer that we crave certain foods for certain reason and also loathe others for a certain reason. Your girlfriend is being a bit too harsh.

I'm a female
My fiancee is male lol
I will pretty much eat anything but peas and beans. I don't like the texture for some reason. Also as a kid my grandfather use to make us sit at the table til we ate the peas. I use to spit them in my milk and then dump it in the sink
I sacrificed my milk but I was not going to eat those peas!

My weird food phobia's are anything that contain vinegar. This includes nearly every single condiment. People think I'm picky, but vinegar makes me vomit. You will never see me eat in a French restaurant for sure. I'll starve in Greece. I'm way cool with most other food varieties.

Vinegar eh? Never heard that one. You can taste it in condiments? What is it about French foods? Not all have vinegar in them. I actually can't recall one that has it. Greek food I enjoy, not all but most of it.

Do you like Indian or Middle Eastern food? Both are types of food I'm getting into. It's hard to find ingredients here without a specialty store. Where I use to live had a few Middle Eastern markets that carried all kinds of ingredients. I love curry and hummus!

It's your stomach and no one else's business. You like what you like. I would never let anyone force feed me their idea of a perfect meal. Runny eggs would make me sick too!

I will try a food item once but if I don't like it then please don't try and force me to like it! I went to the Dominican Republic about 13yrs ago (omg 13yrs ago) and the way our food was ordered was ahead of time. We didnt order off the menu, the entire menu was served to us and we were NOT told what it was until after we ate. I had a lot of good foods that I may have say no to if I knew what they were. It was definitely not the traditional food i Was use to but it was damn good. I think being served exotic new foods in that way is best.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I am an Ovo-lacto-vegetarian who does not eat Potatoes or beans because of their texture.

My wife refuses to cook for me because I don't eat meat or potatoes.

My son only eats meat, pasta/rice etc with undetectable vegetables.

So I always cook and every mealtime is a compromise in my son's favour.

Everyone is a picky eater in some way.

If your taste broadly matches the "Norm" you are not generally considered "picky"

edit on 1/4/2013 by Theflyingweldsman because: “Never ruin an apology with an excuse.” ― Benjamin Franklin

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Sorry about the male/female mix up. Your alien looked male (like I would know).

Yes, Vinegar makes me so sick. Don't ever clean a coffee pot in my presence. I will add to the odoriffic smell in my own unique way.

French food is famous for vinegar sauces. They invented it to cover the rotting vegetables back in the day.

LOL. Great post.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:49 PM
link   

I don't think that's being a food snob, or even very picky for that matter.
I agree that it is getting to be easier and tastier to cook the same dishes at home, I have been practicing on my Chinese food because we can't even get that locally for better than decent. We rarely go out to eat and it's nice to be served a meal that meets your expectations as far as quality goes.
My husband and I have found one stellar restaurant in our area and we like to keep it special for the rare quiet meal

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:51 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Theflyingweldsman

I am an Ovo-lacto-vegetarian

What does this mean? Sorry I am not too sure what the Ovo means.

My wife refuses to cook for me because I don't eat meat or potatoes.

Awe that sucks. Meat and potatoes aren't that bad to not eat. I dated a guy yrs ago who went on some insane fad diet and the foods he would and wouldn't eat were very different than what I ate. I didn't mind making his own version of meals but I like to cook so it didn't bother me.

Now I couldnt be with someone that couldn't eat pasta or cheese. I would never survive! I'm Italian/Sicilian and I love pasta and cheese sauces so I require someone who will eat them!

My son only eats meat, pasta/rice etc with undetectable vegetables.

That doesn't sound so bad. I didn't eat a lot of veggies as a kid either but now I eat quite a few that as a kid I wouldn't have touched.

Do you eat fish at all? I know that is still a type of meat but I know some people who say they don't eat meat yet they eat fish.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SinMaker

Sorry about the male/female mix up. Your alien looked male (like I would know).

LOL it happens all the time. Everyone thinks I"m a guy unless they get my user name. It's short for:
manolo blahnik luver. Manolo Blahnik is a shoe designer lol

Yes, Vinegar makes me so sick. Don't ever clean a coffee pot in my presence. I will add to the odoriffic smell in my own unique way.

Wow you really don't like it! My friend when she was pregnant craved vinegar on lettuce with pepper. I kid you not! I thought it was odd lol

French food is famous for vinegar sauces. They invented it to cover the rotting vegetables back in the day.

LOL. Great post.

I love French sauces. I haven't made any that have vinegar but now I'm curious!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 03:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by woodsmom

I don't think that's being a food snob, or even very picky for that matter.
I agree that it is getting to be easier and tastier to cook the same dishes at home, I have been practicing on my Chinese food because we can't even get that locally for better than decent. We rarely go out to eat and it's nice to be served a meal that meets your expectations as far as quality goes.
My husband and I have found one stellar restaurant in our area and we like to keep it special for the rare quiet meal

My fiancee is good at stir fry and stuff like that, he has perfected that! I am not into Chinese food all that much unless I make it myself. The places around here are ok but not that great. I only like to order from them because their take out comes in awesome reusable tupperware lol. I like alot of Thai food though and have made my own Miso soup and Pad Thai, both came out great!

We go out but not as much as he would probably like to.
It isnt' because I don't want to it's just there aren't too many places here I would pay to eat at that I felt were worth it. Now my little local Italian place I can eat at anytime and they are so inexpensive. We went there for Valentines Day dinner. It was a 5 course meal and it as delicious! I knew I wouldnt' be let down if we went there plus they were the only place serving Mahi Mahi, everyone else had seafood on the menu I can't eat right now being pregnant. My doctor said Mahi Mahi would be fine so when they mentioned that was one of their main course options I made a reservation.

After the baby is born and before the new year I will move back to where my mom is and where i grew up. There are far more places there i'd eat out at. I actually look forward to some of the places I have missed living here! They also have all the speciality food markets that I use to shop at, where I am at now doesn't really have specialty food shops.

new topics

top topics

join