It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Estonia to make programming part of first-grade education

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Estonia, a small country with a population of 1.3 million people, punches above its own weight when it comes to advancements in tech. It was the birthplace of Skype, one of the first countries to have a government that was fully e-enabled, and now it has launched a nationwide scheme to teach school kids from the age of seven to 19, how to write code.

www.forbes.com...
www.theverge.com...
venturebeat.com...
www.wired.com...
e-estonia.com...

I believe that idea is simply brilliant and will pay off well in the future for this small nation. I would not be surprised if many futureĀ“s leading high-tech companies would be coming from there, considerin how strongly entrepreneurship is encouraged there. Adding the necessary skills for creating technology will create a very strong mix.

edit on 1-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I totally agree!

With coding techniques and technology getting more complex at a startling rate, we are going to need the programmers of tomorrow to be bale to program the tech of tomorrow!!

Any school boards NOT including IT education from an early stage, is at real risk of falling behind industry world standards in a matter of decades.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

This is wonderful! I was born in Tallinn, Estonia and can say that this will bring a whole new realm of possibilities for those youngens. I wish I could have learned this in school, but at least they're realizing the direction the future is headed towards.

Unless of course, we have a group of tyke hackers.. Ha take down the security systems of candy shops

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi
reply to post by Cabin

This is wonderful! I was born in Tallinn, Estonia and can say that this will bring a whole new realm of possibilities for those youngens. I wish I could have learned this in school, but at least they're realizing the direction the future is headed towards.

Unless of course, we have a group of tyke hackers.. Ha take down the security systems of candy shops

That is cool
Both of my parents are Estonians, although they relocated before the WW2, so technically I am not Estonian, as I was not born there.

It seems really amazing how much Estonia is implementing IT in their country and now this. The future will be bright for this small country

edit on 1-4-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:35 PM
link   
And then you have countries like Bhutan that just installed their first traffic light a couple years ago. They recently removed it because people didn't like the technology.

No joke.

I wonder which country will be superior in the future.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I think it is wonderful to hear this news about Estonia's forward thinking determination regarding the education of young people. Please visit www.code.org to encourage this to spread everywhere!

new topics

top topics

join