It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would you rather be in prison or homeless?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Gideon70

face losing my flat ( apartment if you are in the US ) . I am living on my savings to pay my rent and bills until I receive some kind of benefit to help me . My savings won't last much longer . I could take a lesser paying job and I would , I have no pride in that respect , but employers are taking advantage of the current situation and are expecting people to work for next to nothing .

I totally feel your pain. We lived through 2008 and then 2010 in the same situation. It's brutal, and wrong.

I've been out of work for 5 years, and we want to get out of this neighborhood because 'the ghetto' has moved in.....but that takes money. My home value (I've owned it for 14 years) keeps going down, to where when I a couple of years ago had 15,000 in equity, now it's valued at 'what I owe.' What a scam.

Now the Dept of Education is coming after me to pay up on the student loan. I can't do it.
I've been trying for 3 years to get a job; I've had ONE interview, at my local optometrist's office - for Part Time! Just so I could make payments on my student loans! The office was going to expand.....that was 20 January. Still waiting to hear back from them. Aside from that, I can't even get an interview for Full Time anywhere, and I have a good CV and Master's Degree, too!

gha
edit on 1-4-2013 by wildtimes because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:44 PM
link   
It really all comes down to your interpersonal skills.
If you have a charming personality that has something to offer to people, being homeless is never really an option.
You just gotta keep on networking until you find places to crash in exchange for around the house servicing.

If you aren't capable of this, stick to jail. Homeless is a bit more messed. It does depend on which county/state you get locked up in, as well.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by wildtimes

face losing my flat ( apartment if you are in the US ) . I am living on my savings to pay my rent and bills until I receive some kind of benefit to help me . My savings won't last much longer . I could take a lesser paying job and I would , I have no pride in that respect , but employers are taking advantage of the current situation and are expecting people to work for next to nothing .

I totally feel your pain. We lived through 2008 and then 2010 in the same situation. It's brutal, and wrong.

I've been out of work for 5 years, and we want to get out of this neighborhood because 'the ghetto' has moved in.....but that takes money. My home value (I've owned it for 14 years) keeps going down, to where when I a couple of years ago had 15,000 in equity, now it's valued at 'what I owe.' What a scam.

Now the Dept of Education is coming after me to pay up on the student loan. I can't do it.
I've been trying for 3 years to get a job; I've had ONE interview, at my local optometrist's office - they were going to expand.....that was 20 January. Still waiting to hear back from them. Aside from that, I can't even get an interview, and I have a good CV, too!

I feel for you too .
I truly hope your situation improves soon .

Best wishes

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by bates

Living on the streets you can be raped, beaten up, killed, stabbed, etc....

In Prison you can be raped, beaten up, killed, stabbed, etc.......But you get warm housing, shower, workout equipment, a bed and 3 meals a day...

Sadly or strangely, prison sounds better....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:01 PM
link   
As an aging human, I would take prison. Three meals, a television, a library, medication, hospital, etc. Plus they have segregated area's for those that are weaker than others. If I were much older than I am now, I would commit a low level crime if my retirement ran out. A crime of course that would render at least five to ten years. No death of course. A fake water gun is enough nowadays to garner a felony.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:03 PM
link   
Its clear that you have been neither homeless nor in prison before, or you wouldn't ask such a silly question...

If you would choose prison over freedom... Mediocrity over potential... I say go for it. You'll find your place among the worms.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: .

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Homeless....
I'm sure my kids would prefer that too....I am in no way wanting either!!!!!
Prison = Complete loss of freedom and unimaginable torture...Yes torture....or it would be for me!!!!!!!!!!!!
I would rather die from starvation or the cold and be free than be trapped like a rat in a cage....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Aqualung2012

It's clear that you feel superior because you have experienced either situation , so why don't you let others benefit from your experiences by just answering the OP's question ?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gideon70

It's clear that you feel superior because you have experienced either situation , so why don't you let others benefit from your experiences by just answering the OP's question ?

Havent I? Arent I allowed my opinion as well in a public forum?

And to answer to YOUR comment: I dont feel superior to anyone for any reason, but I know from experience that homelessness, (much more so than prison) can lead to amazing new possibilities with the right direction and decision making....
edit on 1-4-2013 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012

Havent I? Arent I allowed my opinion as well in a public forum?

And to answer to YOUR comment: I dont feel superior to anyone for any reason, but I know from experience that homelessness can lead to amazing new possibilities with the right direction and decision making....

So , like I said , rather than flame the OP , why not offer advice to others ? You seem like an intelligent guy . So ??????
edit on 1-4-2013 by Gideon70 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Haha, my advice in regards to the question in the OP would be: Dont commit crimes just to live the sweet life behind bars. It sounds ridiculous to even answer it! Pick yourself up and keep going, thats my advice.

I mean seriously... My god what would drive a man to trade every freedom for a meal except cowardice. Only cowardice.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aqualung2012

Haha, my advice in regards to the question in the OP would be: Dont commit crimes just to live the sweet life behind bars. It sounds ridiculous to even answer it! Pick yourself up and keep going, thats my advice.

Thank you .
I totally agree with you . We are obviously from different countries , but the ethos remains the same .

Nice to know you .

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Everybody should try being homeless for a month you would not believe how free you are until you have tried it and you see how almost the rest of society are just brainwashed slaves. materialism is really not what its cracked up to be.
edit on 1-4-2013 by jinni73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinni73
Everybody should try being homeless for a month you would not believe how free you are until you have tried it and you see how almost the rest of society are just brainwashed slaves. materialism is really not what its cracked up to be.

I think most people would agree with you , but are afraid that they might not survive .
I have been considering packing my things into a rucksack and just heading off to Europe before my savings run out .

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I would never trade my freedom for even the slightest bit of safety, I would rather die standing then on my knees.

Just my opinion on this matter but I think perspectives will vary depending on if they've been exposed to incarceration, detention or arrest.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by jinni73

I think most people would agree with you , but are afraid that they might not survive .
I have been considering packing my things into a rucksack and just heading off to Europe before my savings run out .

Can you imagine if everyone just got together and stopped using money there are 7 billion of us and about 20 thousand of them, everyone just helps each other and if you don't want to help you don't get anything in return.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I'd really rather do neither but if faced with no other option than homeless I guess. I did it for awhile when I was an ignorant bratty teen i'm sure I could manage now especially knowing all that I know .

Into the wild i'd go, probably be better off in the end anyhow.

The very thought of being locked up, no sunshine, no fresh air, four walls closing in on me, just freaks me out. I couldn't do it.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:06 PM
link   
Homeless no question about it, I don't want to be some big dude's prison bitch.

It would suck being homeless but I would imagine it's better than being locked-up.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:17 PM
link   
Whoa wait a minute....so most of you have never been camping perhaps?

No one said a homeless person would have to physically live on a street in the cold. You have options if you keep your freedom, you can pick up and go where ever it feels good to your body. Learn to live off the land....there is no such thing as true homelessness, home is where the heart is and it's more homefree than homeless.

You can make your own shelter that can resist the elements and nature....damn a sudden charge of manliness just surged through me.

Yea I'd rather be a human instead of an animal locked in a cage, those animals in shelters don't look happy, neither do prisoners.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:31 PM
link   
Anyone who answers, prison, in America simply doesn't know much about prison. Hollywood actually doesn't do justice to how bad life in US prisons are. It is terrible, and no just because the food is crap and overcrowding.

Read up on prison gangs. They control many aspects of prison life. Are you willing to join a gang and do dirty work for them? If not, you'll be alone and targeted every day of your stay. You'll have to fight, sometimes multiple guys regularly. Show fear or don't fight well, you'll be targeted for rape and then sold around by the prison gangs. Prison might sound good until the Aryan Brotherhood comes up and tells you to stab someone, and if you don't they're going after you. Sounds good until three guys hold you down, abuse you sexually and then you're marked and sold for sexual purposes the rest of your stay.

Prisons are hell holes in America. Only reason some would consider it over being homeless is because they know little about prison as the MSM won't truly touch how bad it is. You'd be dying to be homeless, just to walk around without your life threatened and not be in constant danger/fear of being stabbed or raped.

Even John Gotti needed protection.
edit on 1-4-2013 by MysticPearl because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join