It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would Christians Be As Violent As Muslims If Their Religion Was Threatened?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:23 AM
link   
I think any religious group has the potential of becoming extreme or violent if threaten. A combination of Christians, guns, constitution and freedom could be VERY DEADLY to any corrupt politician. Oh what trying times we live in

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:27 AM
link   
That is like asking:

1 - If Atheists were no longer allowed to be Atheists would they turn violent or more violent?
2 - On the technical side, what if evolution was found to be incorrect (backslash is not working) or impossible. Would Atheist numbers be peeled away?

My response: I imagine many being upset would be a reasonable conclusion and if number 2 they would fight the results. Violence is a possible, i dont doubt some would dis-believe even if the results were proven to be rational.

The point is it is not up to us to force others of what to believe in, but at the same time I think both one and two have the potential for violence.
edit on 1-4-2013 by Malcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:28 AM
link   
reply to post by bdb818888

a fun thing about this topic,,--- "threatened" a religious movement will make aggressive and violent acts, they dont need threats. just a bunch of stupid apes and we are ok to go.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:39 AM
link   
I feel like the lives of most Christians are unlike the Christ their title represents. To truly represent Christ would mean to follow the ideals and teachings of Jesus the Christ.

I feel like a majority of Christians follow other men that interpret the book called the Bible. As long as a silver-tongued representative is available (or council of silver tongues) Christianity will always be able to adapt to the masses(no pun intended).

My point is, there would need to be a shot caller, someone to oppose the original teachings to induce violence.

To be truly Christ-like would be to be nonviolent.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by solve
reply to post by bdb818888

a fun thing about this topic,,--- "threatened" a religious movement will make aggressive and violent acts, they dont need threats. just a bunch of stupid apes and we are ok to go.

I am not a Mormon.
But it would appear that the Mormon movement was very threatened shortly after it began. I don't believe that they made violent and aggressive acts when they were threatened. That is why the leadership moved them to Utah, to avoid violence that was looming.

For two years after Smith's death, conflicts escalated between Mormons and other Illinois residents. To prevent war, Brigham Young led the Mormon pioneers (constituting most of the Latter Day Saints) to a temporary winter quarters in Nebraska and then eventually (beginning in 1847) to what became the Utah Territory

Wikipedia: Mormons

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:41 AM
link   
The crusades..........

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

and because they could marry children so location, location, location.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

god has commanded the destruction of countless of cities, men women and children.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Malcher

1 - If Atheists were no longer allowed to be Atheists would they turn violent or more violent?

The OP said nothing about them not being "allowed" to be Christians. He said the information would be a game changer. So your example doesn't work for number 1.

2 - On the technical side, what if evolution was found to be incorrect (backslash is not working) or impossible. Would Atheist numbers be peeled away?

I'm an atheist. It wouldn't bother me in the least if evolution were proven wrong. Or right for that matter. I'm more interested in the truth than what I want to believe.

The point is it is not up to us to force others of what to believe in, but at the same time I think both one and two have the potential for violence.

Here again, the OP said nothing about force. He said information that would be a game changer.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

"god has commanded the destruction of countless of cities, men women and children."

So why does he/she/it require Mans assistance to do so? Why command us to do the dirty work, where's the omnipotence in such an act?

God has nothing to do with the destruction cities, men or women that's all our own handy work!
edit on 1-4-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
They will just hire a lot of lobbyists. That has proven to be more destructive than bullets and bombs.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:50 AM
link   
What is there, roughly 1.5 Billion Christians on the planet? How many of those are Christians who practice their religion and actually read the Bible? Christianity has been under attack for a longtime...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:51 AM
link   
reply to post by solve

Basic survival instincts of life do not include the self destruction of a species. Henry Ford would not be successful by ordering cars to be crushed.

Why would any inventor order successful inventions to be destroyed.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

well if the bible isnt the words of god chanelled by holy men then in what do christians base their belief?
it doesnt exist without the church or the bible.
thats why i dont like gay people that want to get married in a church that is for a god that doesnt accept homosexuality, like i would like to be a muslim and still do drugs or be a christian and worships satan over god
silly people....

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:59 AM
link   

reply to post by butcherguy

and because they could marry children so location, location, location.

Just saying, they were threatened. They could have stayed for a war.

I am not a Mormon, don't follow their religion and don't condone what they do.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:04 AM
link   
all people have the capacity for violence

no need to make up hypotheticals to come to that conclusion

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TheFinder

no but ford will make the parts weak so they dont have a long life because there would not be any profit, same goes for animals and humans we breed and slaughter young animals so the profit stays up, pollute the world to make people sick that they dont get to see retirement because the old are a burden to society. how do you know if self destruction isnt the point of it all? self sacrifice like jesus, wasnt he, in a self destruct mode?
not to mention the martyrs.
the meaning of life could as well be the ending of all life, like a mistake correcting itself slowly.

edit on 1-4-2013 by solve because: oopsie daisy

edit on 1-4-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-4-2013 by solve because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:13 AM
link   

well if the bible isnt the words of god chanelled by holy men then in what do christians base their belief?
it doesnt exist without the church or the bible.
thats why i dont like gay people that want to get married in a church that is for a god that doesnt accept homosexuality, like i would like to be a muslim and still do drugs or be a christian and worships satan over god
silly people....

Christians, Muslims, Indians, and all other religions base their belief systems on books written by Man. That's a fact and since men are fallible so must be there interpretation of the will of God.

I know plenty of practising Muslims that enjoy there greenery and also lots of Christians that are alcoholics, I don't really think drug use has much to do with ones religion these days.

As to the should homosexuals be allowed to marry in church remark, im not touching that one with a 10 foot pole. All I will say is I don't particularly agree with it ether, more for reasons regarding the sensibilities of our society, but what do I know.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:17 AM
link   

so its okay to be a part of a religious movement, and then totally ignore any and all guidlines that goes with it?
....smart move...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

so its okay to be a part of a religious movement, and then totally ignore any and all guidlines that goes with it?
....smart move...

Where did I ever imply being part of a religious movement was a smart move???

Organised religion is nothing more than a control construct, designed to keep in place the status quo!

On the other hand, why mock people's faith if it gives them strength and peace of mind?

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join