It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Most detailed study on the Global Warming Trends

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:54 PM
link   
We all know the world is changing and rapidly ever since the beginning of the 20th century. Population increase, energy resources running out and global warming are to name a few impacting the future. Today the most detailed study on the Earth's warming trend and the changes have come out.

news.bbc.co.uk
The Arctic is undergoing rapid and possibly irreversible change, according to a new report prepared for the eight nations which rim the region.
The Arctic Climate Impact Assessment endorses recent warnings about melting ice, with perhaps all ocean ice disappearing in summers by 2060-2100.

The statement, to be published next week, also highlights concerns about raised levels of ultraviolet light.

It says the coming years will challenge the region's ecosystems and peoples.

The ACIA document recognises that the Arctic is warming twice as fast as the rest of the planet. It records that permafrost is thawing, trees are moving north and some species, such as polar bears, are having to adapt their ways to survive the changing conditions.

Global impact

The report does not list simply the negatives that will come from a warmer world. It also says agriculture may become easier in some areas, there should be improved access to oil and gas deposits and new shipping lanes will open up.

The ACIA document is the work of about 250 scientists and six circumpolar indigenous peoples' organisations and has taken four years to compile and has undergone a rigorous peer-review process.

It is perhaps the most detailed study ever of how current warming trends are changing a single region of the Earth.

It was commissioned by the Arctic Council, the intergovernmental forum for countries with territories inside the region's 30 million square km: Canada, Denmark, Finland, Iceland, Norway, Russia, Sweden and the US.

"The starting point for the assessment was the recognition that the Arctic was vulnerable in many different ways to climate change, and also that the Arctic played a fundamental role in regulating the Earth's climate," said Professor Terry Callaghan, an Arctic ecologist who helped produce the assessment.

"What happens there is not just an isolated factor of local interest. What happens there has important consequences for the rest of the world," the researcher attached to the universities of Sheffield (UK) and Lund (Sweden) told BBC News.

"There're vast stores of carbon in permafrost and in ocean sediments and if they get warmer, they could significantly impact the rest of the world."

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Click on the link to read more if you are interested.

Some results of this massive investigation and scientific research are what we expect but there are suprisingly others that were unexpected as well. What do you think? Was this research useful? All these changes are going to have an impact on the future, but maybe the more research we do, that will also impact our future. The future isnt exact, but it also isnt unpredictable.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Change is always difficult, whether or not in the end change is better only time will tell. Well of course it will have a big impact on our future, how can it not. We just have to adapt to our changing world. I often wonder, what if we started out without frozen poles & suddenly they started freezing, I'd think that impact would be much harder to deal with then what we'll have to deal with in a warming trend with thawing poles.

Depending on the weather changes the most difficult part will be adjusting to how & where we store our urban water supplies as we won't be getting as much summer water from glaciers.

I guess I'll have to learn to surf too, since there won't be much snow to ride on in the future.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by outsider]

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 10:06 AM
link   
Arctic warming equals = oil

There, sea-bed deposits of oil and gas that have until now been cloaked in thick shifting crusts of sea ice could soon be exploitable, and ice-free trade routes over Siberia could significantly cut shipping distances between Europe and Asia in the summer. www.iht.com.../articles/2004/10/29/news/arctic.html

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Arctic warming, if it continues or increasing at the rate of melt = bad news. The reasons are abundant and are easy to find.

I have a problem with all this equating to more oil.
Its time that the US and the world realize that 'oil' is not the answer. Nor is coal. Clean and more effecient means of energy must be found, researched, and utilized. That's just the straight and simple fact. As third world nations continue to modernize, oil and coal will be increasingly in demand...aka: China, etc.

Its time that alternative fuels and the research thereof went skyrocketing to the forefront. I don't totally buy into this 'global warming' hype, but be assured, it is nothing to be triffle about either. This only heightens concerns and trends.

seekerof

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
isn't global warming and the melting of the poles supposedly followed by rapid cooling and ice age which is mostly due to the cooling of the oceans and changing its currents? that's what I understood to happen...

-raven

posted on Nov, 4 2004 @ 04:16 PM
link   
I am not sure just how much the burning of carbon fuels has increased the warming of the planet but the facts are in and the planet is indeed getting warmer. 10,000 years ago there was a massive glacier were i live today and that was way before man had any influence on the planets warming. We do need to move to renewable energy sources for several reasons: a cleaner environment and to stop the energy war that is currently ongoing. If humans do not change their energy source to renewables man kind may very well indeed kill himself off fighting over carbon based energy.

I read a great book on the curent energy problem call "The End Of Oil". The book addressed the current problems of using carbon based energy and the problems of moving to other energy sources such fuel cells and solar power.

posted on Nov, 11 2004 @ 01:34 PM
link   
sometimes though, i believe science is a cover up to the truth. we never know, global warming might not even exist. they just assume and make links.

new topics

top topics

join