It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trouble Sleeping? Try My Unique Approach...And You'll Sleep Like a Baby!

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I lived with sounds of perpetual arguing and if I got up early with the TV to loud playing cartoons on a Saturday morning I was punished with a spanking and closet time.

Maybe I should try sleeping in the closet?...

edit on 1-4-2013 by abeverage because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
i just have sex with my gf and then i am tired and go to sleep.

Will that work for me too?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Nuthin up my sleeve ... hey Rocky watch me pull a rabbit .....
I`ve had a dickens of a time sleeping lately ... gonna try some Rocky and Bullwinkle .......... thanks for posting.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iscool

Originally posted by dc4lifeskater
i just have sex with my gf and then i am tired and go to sleep.

Will that work for me too?

That's funny... Depends on his girlfriend, I suppose. I think I may have heard of her, Somnam Bulence.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by jude11

S&F Jude!!! Makes sense to me!

Will you give me permissions to scream at you after I can't find Lost in Space????
/joke

But I am definitely off to search for it!

Hulu Plus offers all of the "Lost in Space" episodes... I just watched the first show in the series and was impressed by the quality of production. I grew up in the '70s, so Star Trek was more commonly shown on TV during that time, but I saw enough reruns of "Lost in Space" to remember bits and pieces...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I like Postman Pat and Yogi Bear and BooBoo.
It does relax me and Yogi always makes me laugh - I used to watch him when I was a child.
It is a good idea to hear them in the background if I want to sleep - but usually I go to sleep with the radio playing quietly.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:07 PM
link   
I find the original Battlestar Galactica series does this. I understand where you are coming from. Your description of the Saturday mornings in childhood is spot on. I'd imagine you grew up in the eighties.

Best

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by LastStarfighter
I find the original Battlestar Galactica series does this. I understand where you are coming from. Your description of the Saturday mornings in childhood is spot on. I'd imagine you grew up in the eighties.

Best

Close...

The 60's...

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I usually don't even get into bed unless I plan on being a tired sack of human flesh.

Best way I find is just to workout etc.. get physically tired then it becomes essentially natural.

But if I chose a show to sleep to it would be something like Dexter's Lab or something lol..

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I apologize, but I had to do it. Classic Saturday morning cartoon about the end of the World. Loved it as a kid. ~$heopleNation

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:07 PM
link   
reply to post by jude11

I just read an article the other day that said watching old episodes of your favourite shows can lower your stress levels.. but it only worked with old faves.

Honestly watching my childhood favourite show just gets the theme song stuck in my head to the point I can't sleep, lol.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:49 PM
link   
I did a thread a while ago, about sleeping with the t.v. on and if you had weird dreams, if the television is off I have the most vivid dreams some not so great, and I wake up exhausted.

So with the help of VLC I have about 4 playlists (I play on a loop). One of the big bang theory, the second spongebob, the third its always sunny in philadelphia and the last a mix of bobs burgers and american dad. They have to all be comedy though, and I sleep like a baby.... oh and a few shots never hurt, the comedy or the sleep

Peace, NRE.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:16 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

Am I the only one here that saw the line about cereal and PB&J and started getting hungry?? Mmmmmm

Good thread though OP. Certainly makes sense. Will give it a try next time I have some sleeping issues!

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Interesting.
The problem I have is I can not go to sleep with the tv on,but my wife does.So,I usually end up waiting till she is sound a sleep before going to bed.Unless there is an incentive to going to bed(another hint,hint).But after all that physical activity,I'm wide awake.
Yes,I have a little hyper-activity problem.And a attention problem(squirrel !!!!)
I usually have my fan going to help drown out any noise and to quiet my mind.Dark,cold,and white noise.
And a loop of some soothing music helps sometimes.

So why am I up now?
Just got back from a 9 hour road trip from the parents with massive doses of caffeine,even though I had very little sleep while there because they seem to put us up in the smallest hardest bed they have.( hint,hint).
So to counter the caffeine,I have massive amounts of beer and plan to watch the sun come up.
AAHHH!!!

On a serious note,I have always had a problem going to sleep.
I do need to do a major correction on my sleep routine ,it's all out of whack and alcohol is not the solution.

For one,cut off ATS and all sources of any news feeds after 9 pm.Cut all caffeine off before 6 pm. Read a book.
Maybe I could pop in some old popeye cartoons for awhile before going to bed.

It helps to have a job or a reason to get up.
What I really need is motivation and a kick in the ass.
edit on 2-4-2013 by kdog1982 because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:57 AM
link   
The funny thing is I do the same thing op does. You can do it with any other item that brings back good memories or nostalgia. This will sound weird but I'm an 80's kid and I grew up playing all the great Nintendo games of the late 80's and 90's so last week I had remembered how great the music from donkey kong country was.. Specially the under water theme; I played it on YouTube and all of a sudden I felt what the op said feeling secure innocence and lack of responsibilities like it once was. I ended up sleeping like a baby.

Just a quick add to my post, I use to love watching the Simpsons and ren and stimpy. I guess the factor that helps you relax is the nostalgic feeling of a moment in time where you personally had no responsibilities and enjoyed life to the fullest. The way life should truly be.. Sadly we are all a product of our society that slavers us and takes our whole life working to pay bills.. But that's a whole other subject.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:55 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 16 2013 @ 05:36 AM
link   
10 Tips For A Good Night’s Sleep Without Pills

A few months ago, I had a terrible time sleeping and getting up. After a party one night, I slept late and for the next 20 days, couldn’t get my sleeping pattern back on track. I fell asleep very late every night at around 3 AM and wasn’t able to get up till at least 11 AM each day. For someone like me who usually sleeps by midnight and gets up at 6 AM, I didn’t enjoy this.

I was eventually able to overcome that problem and now have a way to get a good night’s sleep anytime I need to get back in the habit I enjoy. I did all that without taking drugs or sleeping pills. Here are ten ways you can get a good nights sleep naturally. Try to implement one or more together and you’ll get better sleeping patterns, deep sleep and body rest.

1. Stick to a schedule. Mum was right when she set a time we always had to go to sleep as kids. Sticking to a schedule allows your body to set its internal rhythm so you can get up at the time you want, consistently, every single day. Also, make sure you try to keep the same schedule on weekends too, otherwise the next morning, you’d wake later and feel overly tired.

2. Sleep only at night. Avoid daytime sleep if possible. Daytime naps steal hours from nighttime slumber. Limit daytime sleep to 20-minute, power naps.

3. Exercise. It’s actually known to help you sleep better. Your body uses the sleep period to recover its muscles and joints that have been exercised. Twenty to thirty minutes of exercise every day can help you sleep, but be sure to exercise in the morning or afternoon. Exercise stimulates the body and aerobic activity before bedtime may make falling asleep more difficult.

4. Taking a hot shower or bath before bed helps bring on sleep because they can relax tense muscles.

5. Avoid eating just before bed. Give yourself at least 2 hours from when you eat to when you sleep. This allows for digestion to happen (or at least start) well before you go to sleep so your body can rest well during the night, rather than churning away your food.

6. Avoid caffeine. It keeps you awake and that’s now what you want for a good nights sleep. We all know that.

7. Read a fiction book. It takes you to a whole new world if you really get into it. And then take some time to ponder over the book as you fall asleep. I find as I read more and more, regardless of the book, I get more tired at night and so find it easier to fall asleep. Different for others?

8. Have the room slightly cooler. I prefer this to a hot room. I prefer to turn off the heat and allow the coolness to circulate in and out of the windows. If I get cold, I wear warmer clothes. It also saves on the bills as you’re not going to require the heat all night long.

9. Sleep in silence. I find sleeping with no music or TV on more easy and restful. I guess others are different, but sleep with no distractions is best for a clearer mind.

10. Avoid alcohol before bedtime. It’s a depressant; although it may make it easier to fall asleep, it causes you to wake up during the night. As alcohol is digested your body goes into withdrawal from the alcohol, causing nighttime awakenings and often nightmares for some people.

edit on 16-4-2013 by trevo because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 17 2013 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Interesting, Jude. Maybe I could try this, or another variation of this. I think what you're saying is similar to just having the mind-set of taking yourself back to a time where you felt relaxed and remembering what you were doing during that time and recreating it again..
I can't really say I recall remember at any point in time how I felt falling asleep as a child or what I was doing while falling asleep? Weird? Probably Lol But that's pretty cool you found a way that works for you . Nice thoughts.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join