It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DOJ emails show feds kept judges in the dark about cellphone tracking device

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:19 PM
link   
From the people who brought you Fast & Furious, introducing the new cellphone tracking device, code named "stingray" That's right, a faux cell tower that has the ability to intercept any cell traffic within it's location. Although the DoJ has said it can only acquire limited information, I'm going to have to call BS. ACLU obtained emails via The Freedom of Information Act, and what turned up makes me a bit uneasy.

Federal investigators, according to the ACLU’s analysis of Justice Department emails, have “routinely” used a portable technology called a “stingray,” which masquerades as a cellphone tower by emitting a powerful signal. The goal is to trick nearby cellphones into connecting to the stingray, which can then gather data transmitted by the phones.

The device target the cellphones of intended suspects, but it can also capture the cellphone data of nearby innocent people for up to several kilometers.

So here we have the DoJ with the ability to collect pretty much any data they would need in tracking an average "target of interest" My question is, how many of these "stingray" devices are currently throughout the US? It's a fairly old technology, this report says they have been tinkering with it since 1995.

The Justice Department has also argued that in-field use of the device was an innocent mistake by agents “using a relatively new technology,” but the emails obtained by the ACLU demonstrate that the government’s undeclared in-field use of the stingray was not isolated to the Rigmaiden case.

For example, an email chain dated May 2011 showed that federal investigators were still using the technology in the field, although their court applications for surveillance failed to “make that explicit.”

So here we have a case from 2008 where a "StingRay" was deployed to track a hacker so they could prosecute them. Other reports claim they have been utilizing these in the field for quite some time now, but they continue to not be transparent with the judges about their use.

The Electronic Privacy Information Center (EPIC) also obtained documents from the FBI in February 2013 that revealed the technology not only targeted Rigmaiden, but also innocent cellphones within the vicinity of the signal.

So, here it clearly states that innocent cellphone users within the vicinity of this device have the ability to be tracked, and logged. Which again, the question comes to mind of just how many of these things are out there, and where could they be?

The documents showed that the bureau’s agents have been using “cell site simulator” technologies since 1995.

The FBI told The Wall Street Journal in 2011 that the bureau “considers the devices to be so critical that it has a policy of deleting the data gathered in their use, mainly to keep suspects in the dark about their capabilities.”

So they've used the cell site simulator tech since 1995, but they consider it so critical that it has a policy to delete any information gathered. Now, for some reason I find this so hard to believe, when you have agencies such as DHS, FBI, and NSA all chomping at the bit to get all the information they can on citizens. My personal thoughts, they are storing all of this data, they could honestly be collecting information real time.

“We hope that the court sends the clear message to the government that it cannot keep judges in the dark,” said Lye. “Judges are not rubber stamps – they are constitutional safeguards of our privacy.”

Federal government electronic surveillance has reportedly seen a dramatic increase over the past several years.

A 2012 report by the ACLU revealed that between 2009 and 2011, warrantless electronic surveillance requests by the Justice Department to spy on phone communications increased 60 percent from 23,535 to 37,616.

People need to be vocal about this warrantless invasion of our privacy. If they moral judges that try and fight for our freedoms everyday don't have access to the information obtained with these devices, how will anybody ever get a fair shot if they are wrongfully accused? We are most certainly in the digital age, and it appears to be a double edge sword, so expect an uptick in surveillance technology, but also be on the lookout for anti surveillance technology.

Google — in its period transparency report — has also reported a continual rise in the number user data requests filed by governments, including the U.S.

It's obvious that the government is soliciting the biggest data providers in the world in order to keep the ultimate database on the US. Again, this is an issue that must be kept on the forefront, and discussed. We can't let people like Eric Holder and his criminal gang run us over.

dailycaller.com...
FBI defends warrantless tracking via Stingray/GPS

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

People need to be vocal about this warrantless invasion of our privacy.

They should...................but they won't! Instead, they will just go to the voting booth and either select a D or an R and come on ATS and bitch about which party is more evil than the other! Am I the only one who see's the insanity in this kind of thought process??

The lesser of two evils is STILL EVIL!

Hmmmmm, I wonder what will happen when the BRIC's put together their new bank and the dollar collapses, who they will blame then? After all, the only reason the FED can print money out of thin air is because the dollar is the recognized global currency in the markets ay?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Why not,.
Your Local police dept already has the ability to track you for what ever
reason they deem necessary.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by seeker1963
reply to post by eXia7

People need to be vocal about this warrantless invasion of our privacy.

They should...................but they won't! Instead, they will just go to the voting booth and either select a D or an R and come on ATS and bitch about which party is more evil than the other! Am I the only one who see's the insanity in this kind of thought process??

The lesser of two evils is STILL EVIL!

Hmmmmm, I wonder what will happen when the BRIC's put together their new bank and the dollar collapses, who they will blame then? After all, the only reason the FED can print money out of thin air is because the dollar is the recognized global currency in the markets ay?

Well, I understand people vote in ignorant people, then complain.. but I tend to believe that people haven't really voted these people in.. if you believe in the voter fraud theories. A lot of these officials are appointed, not elected. In the spirit of ATS, I've been trying to contribute as much information that I can pertaining to erosion of freedoms, and hope that it makes a difference. I'm not really complaining, more like trying to provide some content to ATS for discussion.

But I get what you're saying.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
Why not,.
Your Local police dept already has the ability to track you for what ever
reason they deem necessary.

Oh there is no doubt that they've been up to no good, but it's not okay to just accept it as the norm. We're going into the age of information sharing and acquisition, and I'm not comfortable with just saying "Oh that's okay, they can do whatever they want"

Stay vocal, it's all you can do.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

One would like to believe that something could be done to stop the invasion of privacy,.
but the mass of people needed to speak up and rally about would need to be massive,.
People in general still believe their doctors are looking out for their best interest along
with the CDC, FDA, and USDA,. try getting them to buy into this,. is .. well..pointless.

Best choice,. keep yourself untrackable when you need to

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lil Drummerboy
reply to post by eXia7

One would like to believe that something could be done to stop the invasion of privacy,.
but the mass of people needed to speak up and rally about would need to be massive,.
People in general still believe their doctors are looking out for their best interest along
with the CDC, FDA, and USDA,. try getting them to buy into this,. is .. well..pointless.

Best choice,. keep yourself untrackable when you need to

Sounds like we need another filibuster here. Filibuster everything that has to do with tracking, this type of technology should be debated right along with domestic drone use, because these technologies can go hand in hand. Hopefully some righteous senators read ATS and alternative media

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

Well, I understand people vote in ignorant people, then complain.. but I tend to believe that people haven't really voted these people in.. if you believe in the voter fraud theories. A lot of these officials are appointed, not elected. In the spirit of ATS, I've been trying to contribute as much information that I can pertaining to erosion of freedoms, and hope that it makes a difference. I'm not really complaining, more like trying to provide some content to ATS for discussion.

I can't even imagine trying to argue your point! Well received and I totally agree!

What's that thing called? "An illusion of choice!"?

top topics

join