It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

And then I got upset at the human race

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:24 PM
link   
I was at our precinct setting up a table with badnarik pamphlet's and I created my own signs to go along with it.

Not once did I utter one word instead I was silent and just let people approach me because I knew election time was full of emotional people and the last thing they would want is to be confronted.

What happened was I set up a sign line but I had no idea it was within 100 yard of the ballots. There is a rule about having political signs ect within 100 yrd of the balllots.

As I was finishing up, a guy about 25 approached the signs and asked what this was for, so I told him.
He started going on about how he's going to get a lawer and how it's not outside of the 100 yards, he knows his rights ect.. knows his rights? rights about what?

So I asked the owner of the bulding and he said it was fine, but when I walked to the parking lot I saw the sign and thought oh # there it is.

So I ran to my truck to get my scissor's to cut the string down and I walk back and the lady is moving my table out to the parking lot with my signs in her hand all crumpled up. As soon as I saw them crumpled up, my heart broke.

I went up her and said I had no idea I was within the 100 yards I swore up and down that I didn't know and apologised.
I then told her that she ruined my signs and that she didn't have to crumple them, I was just coming back to cut the string down..
And non chalontly she apologised... (imo it wasn't sincere, I know when people are sincere and I Know when people are just saying it to say it)

So I had to flaltten them out and put them around my table I made with the brochures on them.

As I started to remake them, I just started to cry, why do people have to be so mean, I didn't do anything wrong on purpose.. I'm trying so hard here and I believe in what i'm doing and people are #ting on me.

So I took some pictures and here they are.

edit: reposted pics

[edit on 3-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:28 PM
link   
One guy walked and told me he just voted libertarian...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueLies
One guy walked and told me he just voted libertarian...

So did I, however I'm living in the UK right now so who knows if my vote will arrive in the states.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:36 PM
link   
True Lies

I�m sorry if that helps.

And take heart.

Never have I seen someone so dedicated to something they believed in.

Your efforts on ATS to bring Badnarik to my and other people�s attention were greatly appreciated. If there were more people like you, maybe a third candidate could finally have a chance of claiming the presidency.

You should never waiver in your principles and never give up your ideals because of the mouth breathers. #-em!

You worked hard and did a great job this election season. You should be proud.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:38 PM
link   
Were you obstructing a path towards the polling station with your string/signs?

Were your signs offensive or negative towards other political parties or simply promoting badnarik?

You did break the 100 yard rule and I can sympathize that the nation is on edge during election day, plus she did apologize.

You should discuss politics with her over a coffee and perhaps smoke the metaphoric peace pipe.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Hey True, keep your head up. It will always be an uphill battle when people are wedded to the two party system. We will see a lot of Libertarian votes this year, it will be the suprise of the election. People who really don't want any more wars and any more deficits.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:41 PM
link   
People tend to think anything non-mainstream is in conflict with "reasonable people". Threatening to screw up their little system gets people mad.

They use little things to make people quit.

Ah, the humanity of humanity.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by syntaxer
Were you obstructing a path towards the polling station with your string/signs?

Nope

Were your signs offensive or negative towards other political parties or simply promoting badnarik?

I don't know.

You did break the 100 yard rule and I can sympathize that the nation is on edge during election day, plus she did apologize.

yeah she did, but she wasn't sincere.

I'm over it know but you scare me with this talk of offensive to other parties.

I made a sign about the patriot act how it's un america, I made a sign about 280 billion and no osama,

I made a sign about hussein and osama.

I wrote a sign saying pnac foreign policy is unamerican.

See now i'm worried i'm going the men in black are going to take me away!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I'm also impressed with your dedication/zeal/spunkyness & would glady take you out for a toe curling good time if you ever wise up and leave your Republican other half!
( there is just no reforming that type by this point, cha know!? )

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'm also impressed with your dedication/zeal/spunkyness & would glady take you out for a toe curling good time if you ever wise up and leave your Republican other half!
( there is just no reforming that type by this point, cha know!? )

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Update:

I drove back there and took down a few signs.. not all just a few.

Thanks people for the kind words, I had no idea people were so emotional, and I do that when people go to the polls they pretty much have their minds made up, BUT there is a slight chance, and if I can get people to see another side of the political cube, they will see it's not just two parties...

[edit on 2-11-2004 by TrueLies]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
What state do you live in?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by swintersVT
What state do you live in?

Michigan....

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:17 PM
link   
True Lies, I have to say that you have my greatest respect for the passionate manner in which you are supporting Badnarik. You believe in him and are not scared to stand up and be counted. You have gone the extra mile and that is worthy of respect in my book.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:19 PM
link   
TrueLies, I'm glad that you moved the table once you realized your error rather than just give up and I'm sorry that your signs got crumpled. If you go back out with signs try making the signs with a positive spin of how a vote for Badnarik would mean X,Y,Z. With people as emotionally geared up as they are any blatent criticism might be met with hostility as you have experience.

My Mom's friend lives across the street from a junior high school that is used as a polling area. Her friend is very pro-Bush and when she woke up this morning she found her lawn covered in Kerry/Edwards signs. Someone used her front lawn to advertise for their candidate. She took them all down and left her house to go vote and run some errands. When she came back the signs were all over the lawn again. If you had done something like this I could understand why people would be hostile, but your mistake was innocent so try your hardest to just let it go.

I think that you should continue to work toward getting the Libertarian party to be more well known over the next four years. Not only do I encourage you to do it, but my husband would be happy to join you in your mission! If you need someone in California to start working NOW to spread the word so that you aren't in this position again 4 years from now my husband is with you 100%. Who knows, maybe in 4 years I'll be out there with you setting up a little Libertarian table.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Rules are set up for a reason ... no matter what they are and the STUPID LIBERALS ... are the reason that people got your # and started moving it. The same reason that McDonalds is doing commercials saying my Chicken Strips Select has Blank .. grams of fat ... in them .. WHO THE # CARES !@!@ STUPID LIBERALS ... The same reason .. who cares about 100 ft within the voting place ... The liberals will use it before the election is over with ESPECIALLY IF THEY LOSE !!! ..
They sore losers .. =-0 .. peace

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by bet555
Rules are set up for a reason ... no matter what they are and the STUPID LIBERALS ... are the reason that people got your # and started moving it. The same reason that McDonalds is doing commercials saying my Chicken Strips Select has Blank .. grams of fat ... in them .. WHO THE # CARES !@!@ STUPID LIBERALS ... The same reason .. who cares about 100 ft within the voting place ... The liberals will use it before the election is over with ESPECIALLY IF THEY LOSE !!! ..
They sore losers .. =-0 .. peace

I can't talk about democrats the way you can.

The only person who gave a damn about my signs and badnarik was a democrat, he was the only one who helped me understand and commended me for what i've done.

The Bush supporter's just walked right on by... It doesn't bother me that you have to stand 100 yrds from the polls. Only because people are very emotional right now and don't want to be PESTERED with political ideology while their standing in line.

I was trying to be peaceful and cautious, I goofed up and it just felt like I got slapped in the face..

It's not the liberals, it's people who #ing whine, bitch, and moan, and they belong to one political party or another...
That democrat was very tolerant and happy "For" me, he wasn't against me.
I just wish people could stop the anger and just understand eachother's viewpoints and be glad the world isn't just one sided..

we should eb coming together for America, for the principles it was founded upon and to show respect for our founding fathers for making it such a great place... exempting the hatred of course, but that's our own fault.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:55 PM
link   

The only person who gave a damn about my signs and badnarik was a democrat, he was the only one who helped me understand and commended me for what i've done.

The Bush supporter's just walked right on by... It doesn't bother me that you have to stand 100 yrds from the polls. Only because people are very emotional right now and don't want to be PESTERED with political ideology while their standing in line.

I'm confused. One person commended you and he identified himself as a Democrat. However, the rest of the people just walked on by. Are you saying that everyone that voted there is a Bush Supporter aside from the one Democrat?

Look at it this way, if on some random Sunday you were walking into your church, let's say it's Methodist, would you want a group of Catholics, Mormons, Southern Baptists, Jews etc. setting up tables and handing out literature to you or telling you why your religion is wrong and how dumb you are for attending that church? I know it's different because a church is on private property, but it's the same type of emotion that would come up and a church goer generally has their mind made up about what religion is right for them.

I've said this before but I cannot stress it enough, you have 4 years ahead of you to continue your campaign and get the Libertarian name out there. Take advantage of the time to educate people so that in '08 you aren't fighting an up hill battle and the Libertarian candidate can be part of the Presidential debates and can be a serious contender in the next election.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Give them hell true lies

Dont let them get to you when I first started people looked at me like I was a cult member or something and this year we have made northwest Arkansas a horse race with the votes we have taken from Bush.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jemison

I'm confused. One person commended you and he identified himself as a Democrat. However, the rest of the people just walked on by. Are you saying that everyone that voted there is a Bush Supporter aside from the one Democrat?

Eek, no... I saw people wearing their choices on their sleeves... bush/cheney t shirts, button's ...
Of course not "everybody" but when my eyes saw bush/cheney gear walk right on by, I got alittle upset... so I correct myself... thanks for bringing that to my attention.

[edit on 3-11-2004 by TrueLies]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join