It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2 In China First Known Deaths From H7N9 Bird Flu

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   

2 In China First Known Deaths From H7N9 Bird Flu

Two Shanghai men have died from a lesser-known type of bird flu in the first known human deaths from the strain, and Chinese authorities said Sunday that it wasn't clear how they were infected, but that there was no evidence of human-to-human transmission.

A third person, a woman in the nearby province of Anhui, also contracted the H7N9 strain of bird flu and was in critical condition, China's National Health and Family Planning Commission said in a report on its website.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Mutant, deadly H5N1 strain of bird flu emerges in Asia and could sweep the globe this fall
Flu infections sweep America hospitalizing thousands and leaving 18 children dead of complications

edit on 31-3-2013 by jdub297 because: dup. hdln

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:11 PM
link   
At present, the Beijing government says this is nothing to worry about.

They claim that it is of lowmortality, and is not known to be readily contagious.

This sort of ignores the fact that of the only known cases, 66% are dead. Itr also sort of ignores the fact that despite supposedly not being highly contagious, there is no reported connection between the new victims.

(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-3-2013 by jdub297 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

They say there is no Human to Human transmission, thats a good thing.

The Bad thing is, they would Lie about such a thing if it did happen to avoid a Panic.

Remember this always, It is not a question "IF" a Bird Flu with Human to Human will Happen, It is just a Question of When.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:27 PM
link   
Bird flu is extremely dangerous without a doubt. It is the most dangerous flu and is the most feared by those in the know. Thanks for the heads up. I don't trust what the talking heads say.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Guess who had the patent for the Swine Flu process of finding the Vaccine?
Blackwater!

WTH is a mercenary group doing having a patent like that for?
And look out for when they patented it too, it was in the 90s.

Who will have the patent for this?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Im wondering just how they know its H7N9 so quicky.

I mean people die of the flu and even colds all the time. Do they really do a full battery of tests on every single person who has flu like symptoms? That would cost an absolute fortune.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   
Could there be any connection to the 1000's of pigs, ducks and chickens being found in rivers throughout China?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesniffer
Could there be any connection to the 1000's of pigs, ducks and chickens being found in rivers throughout China?

Could be a smoke screen for a controlled release of a man made virus..

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by jdub297

The Bad thing is, they would Lie about such a thing if it did happen to avoid a Panic.
Remember this always, It is not a question "IF" a Bird Flu with Human to Human will Happen, It is just a Question of When.

Since one of the victims was a butcher, does than present a human-to-human vector?

I agree about avoiding panic, and don't want to get carried away. I didn't with any of the last few "pandemic" stories, but this one struck me as odd.

I'm still not sure why, yet.
jw

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Blackwater!

I am not a fear monger, but Michael Crichton warned of the dangers of patenting organisms and their derivatives (such as vaccines) in "Next."

I think I'm going to keep my ears open on this to see what comes next.

jw

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

I mean people die of the flu and even colds all the time. Do they really do a full battery of tests on every single person who has flu like symptoms? That would cost an absolute fortune.

The infections occurred a while back, and others are assisting in the research.

The World Health Organization is "closely monitoring the situation" in China, regional agency spokesman Timothy O'Leary said in Manila.

"There is apparently no evidence of human-to-human transmission, and transmission of the virus appears to be inefficient, therefore the risk to public health would appear to be low," O'Leary said.

One of the two men from Shanghai, who was 87, became ill on Feb. 19 and died on Feb 27. The other man, 27, became ill on Feb. 27 and died on March 4, the Chinese health commission said. A 35-year-old woman in the Anhui city of Chuzhou became ill on March 9 and is being treated.

The Chinese Center for Disease Control and Prevention conducted tests and confirmed Saturday that all three cases were H7N9, the health commission said.

hosted.ap.org...

jw

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:33 PM
link   
reply to post by jdub297

The mysterious SARS-like virus that appears to be originating in the Middle East has claimed two more victims after people died from the infection in Germany and in Britain. Their deaths brings to 11 the number of fatalities attributed to the virus, and six others have been determined to have been infected by the virus, according to the World Health Organization.

SARS-Like Virus Kills Two More People in Germany and Britain

Same thing ?

Regardless, this is concerning.

S&F

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:01 PM
link   
reply to post by PhoenixOD

I believe it is simple to detect the unusual cases of healthy and youngish people dropping dead after reporting flue like symptoms, especially in nations that have historically been the breeding ground for these virus...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:33 PM
link   
Haven't looked into this matter yet, but I'll just mention the possibility that it's another CIA biological weapons test. If that's true, they may very well be targetting China. We've been getting large-scale disease outbreaks in recent years, and at odd 6-year intervals (1997 bird 'flu, 2003 SARS, 2009 swine 'flu... what's next in 2015? :puz

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

If the victim is already dead, there is no rush for results. Samples can be taken from blood and various tissues and literally investigated under a microscope looking for the culprit. In this case it was most likely a lung related infection, possibly blood as well. A blood smear, or lung smear could provide an image of the culprit and it's merely matching it against known strains. In some cases this can be done against a database, in other it will be comparing it to other slides. Again if the victim is dead, it's much faster and much easier as uneasy is that is to say. It's easier to diagnose a dead man. Sorry if this sounded heartless in any way.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by coffeesniffer

Anything avian yes, as far as porcine goes it was found to be an entirely different disease. I can not remember the name, would you like me to look it up?

It was totally different from any Avian flu's, which in most cases affect aviary rather than human beings but have been known to transfer in some cases.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by Tw0Sides
reply to post by jdub297

Since one of the victims was a butcher, does than present a human-to-human vector?

I agree about avoiding panic, and don't want to get carried away. I didn't with any of the last few "pandemic" stories, but this one struck me as odd.

I'm still not sure why, yet.
jw

Prolonged exposure to potentially infected avian could provide means for mutation and inter-species transmission. Being a butcher he dealt with plenty of chickens, given it was in china there is a likeliness ill birds were sent to the butcher anyways, and being a butcher he would be in a position for prolonged exposure, increasing the odds a mutated virus cell could cross the species gap. It's also possible there was a direct blood transfer, which could in theory increase the odds of becoming infected from a cross species strain.

Butcher slaughters chicken, nicks himself with his knife or ingest raw infected body fluids. These things can greatly increase the likeliness of cross species contamination. Once inside a human host, a viable virus cell can mutate to infect the human as well as avian.

Again, these kinds of flu are not typical, and in most cases do not jump the species gap, but it is possible.

With only a few reported cases, I would not get overly worried at this point. The virus needs time to mutate into a state where it is both capable of infecting humans, as well as being transmitted amongst humans.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by jdub297

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
Blackwater!

I am not a fear monger, but Michael Crichton warned of the dangers of patenting organisms and their derivatives (such as vaccines) in "Next."

I think I'm going to keep my ears open on this to see what comes next.

jw

In the case of a blackwater type group patenting a virus or it's vaccine, this could lead to concern, as it may be a hint they are experimenting with it's use as a biological agent. How ever, there is big money in the cultivation industry for vaccines in live stock.

Live stock is a world wide, enormous industry raking in billions every year. A case of Avian flu among your flock can completely destroy your yield for that year. A vaccine intended for use on livestock is incredibly valuable in the industry. Even in countries that aren't quite up to the standards of North America or Europe.

If you have 10, 000 hens and one gets avian flu, your entire flock may need to be culled meaning you make 0 dollars for both meat and eggs, if you can get a vaccine to protect them, that ensures your investment is sound. If a flu has, or is breaking out in a particular area, you can make big bucks holding a patent for the vaccine even if it is intended for farm use. As well, if you can find a vaccine for live stock, it is one step closer to a vaccine for human beings if a transmission occurs, leading to further profit to the patent holder.

Business is an odd thing for the outsider looking in. I really don't see anything worth panicking over at this point, not that I thin that is what you're implying. It could be worth keeping an eye on, but I really don't think it's going to be anything like the avian flu's we have seen in the past that have made the species gap.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:59 AM
link   

No it wouldn't. They culture swabs taken from victims. That can take up to days or even weeks if they send out for testing. Depending on the Strain.

The reason they get "Bird flu" is a lot of people buy their birds live and kill them themselves. So there could be blood to blood transmission say if they swallow blood drops or cut themselves while slaughtering the animal.

The most important point here is that the disease can jump from bird to human but cannot jump from human to human.

That is the concern. For that to occur, the virus would have to mutate in the human host to a variety that can transmit to another human. Then that human would have to expose another human somehow. The odds of that are extremely low (but growing over time). The odds that it would be a mutation to an "airborne" variety are even slimmer.

By that I mean lottery slim. Hundreds of millions to one.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Could be a smoke screen for a controlled release of a man made virus.

That is unlikely. Trying to control an infectious virus is as easy as controlling a forest fire... in the dry season... on a hot, windy day.

It would tend to get out of control. Especially if rumors about plague got out. People would flee in every direction using any means of travel at their disposal. Some of those people would be carrying the virus (acting as hosts) while the disease is still in the incubation stage. Wherever they went new pockets of plague would break out. Kind of like burning embers starting new fires ahead of a fire storm front.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join