My friend is about to become the oldest to have ever climbed the seven highest mountains!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
At the age of 67 my friend Martin Douthitt of Jackson, Kentucky in Eastern Kentucky is about to break a world's record!

He has already climbed 6 of the 7 highest mountain peaks in the world and is currently hiking the 12 days from Lukla, Nepal to the base camp. His expected arrival at the peak of Mt. Everest (the highest in the world) is May 25. It seems that it takes a very long time to acclimate to the altitude and thin oxygen environment.

Martin arrived in Katmandu last week and said before he left that the most dangerous part of the trip is the landing and taking off at Lukla Airport which is the most extreme and dangerous airport in the world.

Here is a link to his story:

Douthitt has climbed six of the Seven Summits, the highest peaks on each continents:

Africa: Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, 19,340 feet.
Europe: Russia's Mount Elbrus, 18,519 feet.
South America: Aconcagua in Argentina, 22,841 feet.
Australia: Carstensz Pyramid in Indonesia, 16,535 feet. *
Antartica: Vinson Massif in Antarctica, 16,067 feet.
North America: Denali (also called Mount McKinley) in Alaska, 20,320 feet.
That leaves only Asia, Mount Everest, 29,035 feet. *

There are two lists of Seven Summits, the Bass List and the Messner list. Messner considers Indonesia part of the Australian continent.

Read more here:
www.kentucky.com...=relast#storylink=cpy

and here:

[url=http://www.kentucky.com/2013/02/10/2511334/at-67-breathitt-county-climber.html#storylink=relast

All of this with two partial artificial knees and he has recently found out he is pre-diabetic. His rigorous training and using services of a dietician just might help him achieve his goal. He is incredibly determined to climb to the top of the world!
edit on 31-3-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: added photo
edit on 31-3-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: typo

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Wow that is amazing.

I think I will attempt to beat his record one day.

Thanks for sharing

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I'm impressed too ... sure hope he makes it.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   
That's amazing. I love record breaking attempts like this.

Good luck to your friend.

Keep us posted on his attempt.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   
reply to post by wevebeenassimilated

That is some feat indeed!
What a guy-please give him my best regards for his expeditions,and I hope he has many more.
Age is a state of mind.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Thanks for supporting my friend.

Here is a link to a Hi Def video of the harrowing landing at Lukla airport:

www.youtube.com...

Also I have a link from the guides, sherpas, etc. which reports on their progress. I will post separately.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Good luck to your friend

Lukla Airport scares the hell out of me. If i remember correctly because the end of the runway is facing into the cliff the pilot is fully committed to get the landing correct first time as he cant do a fly by and try again.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
Wow that is amazing.

I think I will attempt to beat his record one day.

Thanks for sharing

I would love to try that as well! Problem is this trip cost him $75000 and with the other 6 trips and attempted but at first failed scaling of Denali I would guess he has spent around a half million dollars. Too rich for me!

Also he has done this over the last 12 years!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

Good luck to your friend

Lukla Airport scares the hell out of me. If i remember correctly because the end of the runway is facing into the cliff the pilot is fully committed to get the landing correct first time as he cant do a fly by and try again.

Very true! That and the fact that the elevation 9,200 feet cuts the power of the airplane's engines. Also they have to contend with very strong downdrafts, crosswinds and heavy fog!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by drock905
That's amazing. I love record breaking attempts like this.

Good luck to your friend.

Keep us posted on his attempt.

IMG guide Mike Hamill reports that all's well up in Namche (at about 11,300 feet). After a couple days of acclimatization and hiking, the first team is ready to head for Deboche in the morning. Today was market day for the local people, so lots of traders came to town selling their wares.

Here is the link to mountainguides where they are posting progress reports:

www.mountainguides.com...

I am not positive at this point but I believe Martin is on Team 1.
edit on 31-3-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: added sentence

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:19 PM
link   

When I saw the name of your thread I thought he was in his mid-80s or something. 67 is not old, if the body is kept running on enough water, Vitamin C, melatonin, vegan food, and some other stuff. The artificial knees are the most impressive thing, does he say that his new knees work better or is there any pain when he climbs? Thanks for the thread.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Looks like I got 47 years to prepare....

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

When I saw the name of your thread I thought he was in his mid-80s or something. 67 is not old, if the body is kept running on enough water, Vitamin C, melatonin, vegan food, and some other stuff. The artificial knees are the most impressive thing, does he say that his new knees work better or is there any pain when he climbs? Thanks for the thread.

There are probably people that have climbed Everest that were older than this but not all of the highest on each of the seven continents.

Harold is a very humble person and really not trying to set this record it just is working out that way. Actually he is about 4 years older than I am and if I could afford it I probably would have gone with him. That and I have my family to take care of.

He recently trained (In February) in the Red River Gorge which is here in the Daniel Boone National Forest about 10 miles from where I live. He said that a course through the gorge which used to take him 4 1/2 hours only took him 4 hours after the knee surgery. He didn't mention any pain.

Personally, I use blue-green algae, MMS, coconut oil, and a whole bunch of stuff I get from Swanson's and am still going strong at 63.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:10 PM
link   
Here is a photo from Katmandu:

Martin is the guy with the gray beard in the back.

They do indicate that he is in team 1.
edit on 31-3-2013 by wevebeenassimilated because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:26 PM
link   

Thanks, and I'm glad nobody else has done it and his hobby will get him some well-earned attention. On the age thing, I met this guy who was selling juices in Whole Foods a few years ago, healthy looking guy who said he was 72 "Look at me, I'm 72". I quickly said "That's what you're supposed to look like at 72!" and complimented him. From people I've met who've stayed healthy and worked at it, the sixties and seventies are a walk in the park. But if they hadn't kept working on themselves and done the "right things", yikes. Never too late to start either. Does your friend know about this thread? If he does, "Hello, and nice work! Have fun on Everest" (there was a great pan pic of Mt. Everest and the surrounding peaks here a couple of months ago, www.abovetopsecret.com... ).
edit on 31-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:29 PM
link   
I just confirmed he is on team 1

Here is where they are:

First Team to Namche; Icefall Doctors Make Progress March 28, 2013 Good news on several fronts: Ang Jangbu Sherpa says the weather was excellent yesterday which allowed all the first team's luggage to get flown in to Lukla. Also, the oxygen and gear that was previously sent to Phaplu was successfully flown up to Shyangboche. After spending last night in Phakding, the first team are now on their way to Namche. Today IMG guides Peter and Justin will meet with sirdar Ang Passang and register with the SPCC in Namche to pay the Icefall fees. Up at Everest Base Camp the IMG Sherpas report that most of the team's big tents have now been erected. Also, that the Icefall doctors have been making good progress, and have now pushed the route well above the "Popcorn" section of the Khumbu Icefall.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aleister

Thanks, and I'm glad nobody else has done it and his hobby will get him some well-earned attention. On the age thing, I met this guy who was selling juices in Whole Foods a few years ago, healthy looking guy who said he was 72 "Look at me, I'm 72". I quickly said "That's what you're supposed to look like at 72!" and complimented him. From people I've met who've stayed healthy and worked at it, the sixties and seventies are a walk in the park. But if they hadn't kept working on themselves and done the "right things", yikes. Never too late to start either. Does your friend know about this thread? If he does, "Hello, and nice work! Have fun on Everest" (there was a great pan pic of Mt. Everest and the surrounding peaks here a couple of months ago, www.abovetopsecret.com... ).
edit on 31-3-2013 by Aleister because: (no reason given)

I regularly have to prove my age. I am 63 and look about 55. Most of my hair is still with me and very little gray hair.

Don't know if Martin knows about this thread but I am letting some of our friends know. Probably does not have access to the internet right now. They might at their base camp when they get there in about a week. It would be awesome if he could post from there!

By the way those pictures are absolutely stunning!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:43 PM
link   

That would be nice, if he posted from base camp and we could all say hi. Yes, that thread with the gigapic is very good, and it's zoomable. It doesn't look that big when you first look at it, then when you go to the zoom feature on the pic's homepage and see how tiny people and houses are in comparison, yikes!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Congrat's to your friend, that is accomplishing a amazing task.
I would never have the desire to take on even one of them, once it gets around
10k feet, thats high enough for me. Gets hard to breathe and you really have to
move slowly.
Will be following his progress.

Ya, its costing him half a million, but at least he is doing something with his life,
tis goes back to the saying from braveheart, every man lives, but not every man
is alive. Your friend defiantly is alive, and showing the world age is only a number.

hope he makes it! You will have to tell him to come visit us here at ATS when he is finished
so we can congratulate him in person.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by severdsoul
Congrat's to your friend, that is accomplishing a amazing task.
I would never have the desire to take on even one of them, once it gets around
10k feet, thats high enough for me. Gets hard to breathe and you really have to
move slowly.
Will be following his progress.

Ya, its costing him half a million, but at least he is doing something with his life,
tis goes back to the saying from braveheart, every man lives, but not every man
is alive. Your friend defiantly is alive, and showing the world age is only a number.

hope he makes it! You will have to tell him to come visit us here at ATS when he is finished
so we can congratulate him in person.

Thanks John Wayne er I mean severedsoul.

FREEEEDOM!

I will invite him to join ATS and if he declines maybe he can post under my name.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join