It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Google commits suicide.

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

Yes, Google should have celebrated Ishtar (the Babylonian goddess of fertility) with eggs and bunny rabbits, like most Christians do on Easter (a corruption of Ishtar) - just like they celebrate Christmas with a fat red guy and decorated trees, in honor of other nature gods. ;-)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

I'm a "Christian" and I am much less offended by Chavez than I am by the abomination of Easter!!!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:32 PM
link   
No one gives a damn about if it was originally pagan. NO ONE CARES!!! You are not some scholar for knowing that holy # get over it. It's been part of our culture for hundreds of years, and if you live somewhere with running water outside of Asia you are included in "our". Try living in and conversing within the realm of relevance instead of pseudo-intellectual prattle.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBelligerence

I care.....
BTW stop being so rude, you have already name called and have assumed no one cares about sorgfelts post.
So please read the T&C and start being civil.
The world is a bigger place then just the west...
edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Sure it's bigger, but like i said; "realm of relevance"

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:28 PM
link   
April 20th is coming up. Wonder what they will put up on that day?
They have a few interesting choices for birthdays
Edward IV
George Takei
Adolf Hitler
Carmen Electra

Actually I'd like to see how they would do a Carmen Electra logo

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:31 PM
link   
This has to be one of the worst threads ever. Perhaps Google didn't want to upset other religions, or they wanted to try something new.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by MrBelligerence

Maybe he isn't a scholar, maybe he's a pagan.
They still exist you know...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:47 PM
link   
sorry to burst your bubble but easter is not even a christian holiday... it was around thousands of years before the time "christ" supposedly walked the earth. look it up. you dont think it makes pagans and other religions a little angry when christianity steam-rolls over their beliefs and christianize them. wake up!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:48 PM
link   
Pissed off 2 billion people? that's quite the exaggeration..

Google hasn't marked Easter on their home page since 2000 so there's nothing surprising or new about it.. sure it made a little news but it hasn't angered the masses as much as it's angered you .. I'm sure it also won't cost them any money, or cause an exodus of users to other search engines.. that's a silly notion in my opinion.

But yes the key point here is that Google hasn't had easter up there for 13 years now.. nothing new here.
edit on 3/31/2013 by miniatus because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Worldablaze420
sorry to burst your bubble but easter is not even a christian holiday... it was around thousands of years before the time "christ" supposedly walked the earth. look it up. you dont think it makes pagans and other religions a little angry when christianity steam-rolls over their beliefs and christianize them. wake up!

Very true.. heck, Christmas is even a borrowed holiday that Christianity adopted to officially celebrate the birth of Jesus.. He wasn't born on December 25th, nobody knows exactly when he was born.. but December 25th was the winter solstice .. but my religious friends never seem to know this, and get very huffy and angry when it's mentioned.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Non event. I've decided I hated Google long time ago for ease of use and commercial reasons other than something as pathetically insignificant as this.

If you are Christian (as I am) and offended by Google for the Chavez thing, then you are a very weak Christian and do not understand what you are, or who you are and where your security lies. If your meaning truly lies in Christ you cannot get offended by anything. but if it isn't...... !!

Now it's time to reexamine yourself using the book you know which tells you about offense and security.

I suspect your Catholic with a lot of religious constricting ideas thrown in. Find your true roots and some freedom.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by miniatus

Originally posted by Worldablaze420

Very true.. heck, Christmas is even a borrowed holiday that Christianity adopted to officially celebrate the birth of Jesus.. He wasn't born on December 25th, nobody knows exactly when he was born.. but December 25th was the winter solstice .. but my religious friends never seem to know this, and get very huffy and angry when it's mentioned.

I'm like you. Christmas as a Christian makes no sense, although there is nothing wrong with remembering and celebrating his birth, he didn't ask for it and the early church didn't either. Besides Jesus was born early October.

But we are talking here about Easter, not Christmas. Easter was something to be remembered officially because the birth without the death was meaningless.

Once again, your huffy Christian friends do not know who they are in Christ or they would not get angry. A true Christian cannot ever get offended in reality. Believing Christ and understanding he;s your brother therefore you are a son of God yourself (and all that means) are two different things. Some are called, few are chosen.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by jimmiec

People actually look at that stuff? I get there and hit email. I don't even know what's on the front page.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
Who really pays attention to Google and their pages?
I got my chocolate rabbit and nothing will keep me from devouring this hollow piece of chemical treat. :-)
There are bigger things to worry about.
Regards, Iwinder
edit on 31-3-2013 by Iwinder because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:46 PM
link   
I do think Google blundered here. I don't think they care. I do think they were fully aware of the choice that they were making. I do think this will help to open the door to competitors but none of them are particularly Christian anyway. More to the point however:

Here and on many other sites/news articles - hate filled comments directed at Christians
The obnoxious "dohoho conservatives are dumb" style messages
The belief that Christians don't matter

Wrong, wrong, and wrong.

There are an awful lot of people who are just about fed here. This isn't a I'm going to go off grid, establish an alternate government, homeschool my kid....it's a simple truth. There are millions of people in this country who are Christian. You know they are Christian. They go to your parties, work in your office, and you think they are too smart to be Christian so you don't think that they *really* are. You tell yourself that they were raised that way and are just having trouble letting go of tradition. You are wrong. They believe. Fully and unconditionally. They are tired of being polite while you trash their beliefs. They have given you several indications of this over the years but you are too hip to really hear them. Revival coming. Mark my words.

edit on 31-3-2013 by watcher3339 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Meh. Offence... those seeking it always find it.

The sad thing is that I grew up in a world that had just survived the Red scare and McCarthyism and was always happy that I'd missed that moronic display of small minded and irrational bigotry - only to end up living in the right wing nightmare realm that America is becoming today.

If it isn't white, zealously Christian, totalitarian, and absolutely enslaved to big business and greed... well, by God, it must be a commie, leftist, pinko plot.

Following Jesus... you're doing it wrong.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

It is very small minded indeed to believe that white and corporate greed has anything at all to do with this conversation. It has become so fashionable to be all "meh" to Christians. And, it is at least in part our fault because the overwhelming number of us who didn't want to be rude have allowed it to go on for too long. A handful of obnoxious and racist individuals have been allowed to define the backlash to the rudeness Christians increasingly receive to from the secular world that we have tried so hard not to offend or judge. All our deference has gotten us is more rudeness. Google had to have known that this would be a slap to honor a man other than Christ on Easter. I suspect Google started something here and I don't think the outcome will be what the Google Doodle pickers intended.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by jimmiec
reply to post by Kali74

America was founded under christian principles. The Constitution is based on christian principles. We are a christian nation. You may not be, America is. Obviously that is changing. It will not be for the better.

This belief really helps me make sense of your original complaint.

This nation was most definitely not founded on Christian beliefs/principals. In fact, the founding fathers were decidedly AGAINST religion creeping it's ugly head into government. Religion has no place in government or business, and THAT is why Google doesn't use religiously themed banners. The only time the Constitution mentions religion AT ALL is in exclusionary terms, ie, SEPERATION of church and state.

"And the day will come when the mystical generation of Jesus, by the supreme being as his father in the womb of a virgin will be classed with the fable of the generation of Minerva in the brain of Jupiter. But we may hope that the dawn of reason and freedom of thought in these United States will do away with all this artificial scaffolding, and restore to us the primitive and genuine doctrines of this the most venerated reformer of human errors."

--Thomas Jefferson

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join