Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Video: This Massive Jellyfish Is Really an Aquatic Spy Robot

page: 1

join

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
Engineers from Virginia Tech are working on a new toy for the NAVY, a Jellyfish spy robot. When this thing will be ready it will be used for military surveillance as well as for environment monitoring. Just wanted to share because I think it's pretty cool what people are capable of creating nowadays.

Video: This Massive Jellyfish Is Really an Aquatic Spy Robot

Meet the Cyro, an autonomous robot with eight mechanical legs ringing its metal chassis, designed to mimic the unique, efficient underwater propulsion of a jellyfish. Covered in silicone to replicate the jellyfish’s wavy, bioluminescent mesoglea — the jelly, basically — the Cyro weighs a staggering 170 pounds, all thanks to a five-year grant from the Office of Naval Research.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by whatsecret

From obvious reasons, I wish sharks rips them apart
edit on 31-3-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by zilebeliveunknown

From obvious reasons, I wish sharks rips them apart
edit on 31-3-2013 by zilebeliveunknown because: (no reason given)

I didn't think about sharks... I wonder how they are going to deal with that.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

environment monitoring

Yeah, right. How about making a machine to clean the mass amounts of garbage floating about killing our birds and aquatic friends. It makes me sick to see people investing mass amounts of "money" for nothing but their own gain, military or otherwise. How about you actually help our nature instead of parading about, claiming to care about monitoring the environment.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:25 PM
link   

They'll probably have lethal weaponry attached, or at least 'shocking' capabilities.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 06:17 AM
link   
Which U.S waters are these things going to patrol? The Gulf? In land lakes? Are they planning to flood our waters with these like they are planning to flood our skies with drones?

Wait.. it's a spy machine and it's going to be in U.S. waters? Who Exactly are they spying on again... ?

I say, shoot on sight with your spearguns. Catch em in your nets. Nothing good can come from this.

Notice how they dress up this fancy technology with cool things to say so we will over look the fact they will be used on Us. U.S. Military Evil Regimen propaganda at it's finest.
edit on 2-4-2013 by JohnPhoenix because: sp

posted on Apr, 7 2013 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by RooskiZombi

environment monitoring

Yeah, right. How about making a machine to clean the mass amounts of garbage floating about killing our birds and aquatic friends. It makes me sick to see people investing mass amounts of "money" for nothing but their own gain, military or otherwise. How about you actually help our nature instead of parading about, claiming to care about monitoring the environment.

I'm sure it can have applications like that or sucking up oil spills. It's a technology that is going to happen in many different ways some commercial, some military, some even good for the environment. With the right solar array on it, it can be autonomous for a long time frame.

new topics

top topics

join