It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem...

page: 15
<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Dum de dum back on topic guys the show really does suck doesn't it

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:36 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:37 PM
link   
*** KNOCK IT OFF ****

Posting Bans are next.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:07 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

is it just me - or is any one else confused by the "plot " twonk ?

an unknown phenomenon disabled electricity on Earth .......... People were forced to adapt to a world without electricity. ..................Matheson family, who possess .....(a USB flash drive .......) that is the key to ............... a possible way to reverse its effects

source

just IMHO - but by the time you are able to used a USB memory device - you have already " reversed the effect "

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by ignorant_ape

yes I am confused - I do not understand why the car batteries all went down.
Another poster here said it was caused by a dampening field as in star trek .. which prevents any electro magnetic activity ?
I am only on episode 1 and 2 - we are behind here

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Electricity has allowed us to maintain a really comfortable lifestyle. Taking it away overnight would definitely cause problems and chaos globally I'm sure.

All these people who walk around all day glued to their smartphones keeping up with every moment in their favorite celeb's life, who don't know how to cook, don't know how to start a basic fire would be really screwed and totally lost.

Sadly, we've lost many of the "old world" skills that our grandparents and the generations before them knew. People who know those skills would be very important in that new world

But I think that after the initial shock of it all, we would have thriving communities again and a much simpler world (until NWO 2.0 takes over that is... :roll

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:33 PM
link   
"''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem"

I cant offer an opinion on the show,cause i've never watched it,although,i get the premise of it.
I dont need a weekly show,to show me what the twilight zone did very well,many years ago.

~~~~~Also the Original Twilight Episode can be found here~~~~~~
www.tv.com...
edit on 1-4-2013 by Black_Fox because: To Add

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 07:35 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:40 PM
link   
Member has post banned..... he can sit out for 3 days.... more to come.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:45 PM
link   
sent this

sent this to Dispo.... he stuff isn't quite as bad as I remembered...

Hi,
You've had another post removed by staff today.

We wanted to take the opportunity to remind you of the T&C's that you agreed to here at ATS.

Don't get caught up in arguing with other members and especially don't take it from one thread to the next. IF a member is harassing you, let staff know, we'll deal with it.

I think you know the other member I'm speaking of and he's being talked to as well.

Upon review of your account, you've had several posts removed by staff. It stops today.

Review the T&C's once again. Familiarize yourself with them
because after today, there are no second chances.

Consider this fair warning that staff is asking you to consider your posting habits and conduct on ATS.

elevatedone
ATS Forum Moderator

rec

He started it.

sent

Wrong answer, we're talking about you and your actions

received

The bigger boys made me do it.

Post banned at this point
and received

Don't have a teary mate.

sent

Take 3 days off and we'll see about lifting the ban.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by opethPA
Some people would adjust just fine while a large majority would be totally out of their element.

Personally for anyone that thinks going back to the dark ages is a good thins is totally ignorant. You know the millions of people that make their livings on power, technology, IT, whatever I am sure would disagree with you.

Liberals want to go forward.... toward a high-tech utopia of the future
Conservatives want to go back... returning to a romantic period in the past

....I want to go back and live like the First Nations did here in America
so I guess that make me very conservative (and/or very stupid in the
view of my liberal friends).

Most people just assume going forward is a good thing, however
there are those who see George Orwells 1984 in our future and
to them it seems turning off the lights may be preferable...better in fact.

While I haven't seen this TV show, I did read about it and I suspect
that the character Sebastian Monroe, leader of the Monroe Militia,
may have been of the conservative mind... I don't know were JJ is
going with the story, but I would not be surprise to learn that it was
this President of the Monroe Republic who wanted to "restore" the
United States of America. Maybe it was he, or someone thinking
like him, who turned the lights out. Perhaps the idea was to bring
order out of chaos...to stop the New World Order in its tracks.

I know a lot of people who think like this and in my opinion it is
very worth-while to explore this "worst-case scenario" in order to
be prepared should such a day come.... however, if the grid did
go down and stayed down... we will have about one week in which
to prepare ourselves for Armageddon... not because there would
be a lack of food (and we would) and not because gangs would
be killing and looting (and they would)... the real threat is far, far
worse that that.... were talking Nuclear Armageddon.

While civilization will rapidly deteriorate into chaos, the worst of it
is just beginning to boil over....literally. That is, the worlds 440 nuclear
power plants (about 700 if you count all research reactors) need to
be keep from complete meltdown or it would the end of humanity.

truth-out.org...

...the world's nuclear power plants, as they are currently designed, are critically dependent upon maintaining connection to a functioning electrical grid, for all but relatively short periods of electrical blackouts, in order to keep their reactor cores continuously cooled so as to avoid catastrophic reactor core meltdowns and fires in storage ponds for spent fuel rods.

Nuclear reactors while running normally, are in a state of controlled
meltdown as they heat water into steam which turns turbines that
produce electricity. The only thing saving us from disaster is the
constant supply of fresh cool water that keep the rods from melting
down. The flow of water requires electricity and pumps, and working
electronic systems to control them. If these systems are damaged,
or the electricity is OFF, well, remember Fukushima?? Now think
about F-U-Sheema multiplied by a factor of 700.

Get the picture? the lights going out would create almost incalculable
suffering, death and environmental destruction on a scale not seen since
the extinction of the dinosaurs some 65 million years ago.

This would be E.L.E. (Extinction Level Event)

So, if there are any radical conservative who think setting off an EMP
dooms day weapon is a good way to restore the Republic (and stop
the NWO march toward 1984), I would caution you... please think again.

edit on 1-4-2013 by wasaka because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:12 PM
link   

Based on some of your posts, I have to assume that you are, like many people, ignorant of how much of our technology works. Assuming that the loss of electrical power is similar to the TV show in that nothing electrical works, I will try to answer some of the questions you have posed.

1] if the electrcity grid went down - we would still be able to use cars ?
If not why not ? We would still have batteries and be able to build them - we would still have fuel, initially it would have to be rationed but we can reset up the distribution network and manually or mechanically fill our vehicles.

Not if everything requiring electrical power ceases to work.
- Gasoline engines require an electrical spark to ignite the fuel-air mixture in the cylinders.
- Diesel engines do not require a spark, but you still have to get the fuel into the cylinders. Most modern diesels use high pressure electrical pumps to do that. Trying to retrofit diesels with high pressure mechanical pumps would take a lot of time as you would have to manufacture them in most cases, without using electricity in the parts creation process.
- You have to get the engine to rotate in order for it to start. The last new car I saw that had an available hand-crank in addition to an electrical starter motor was a Lada from the early '80s

4] Farms - would once again be given prominence - horses would be used to work heavy machinery, although whilst there is a diesel in the supply chain then tractors would still function.

- Except there aren't enough draft horses available and most tractors won't work for the same reasons as cars not working.

5] we would breed and work heavy horses.

- Just how long do you think it would take to breed these horses in sufficient quantity to replace the tractors? A horse pregnancy is 320-370 days. You then have to wait at least 2-3 years for it to mature to the point of pulling a plough.

6] we would light our homes with candles and gas and solar energy.

- Solar powered lights use electricity. Production of gas requires electricity currently. It would take time to change the production process. There is also the problem of what would power the pumps that pressurize the gas lines.

7] we would install wood burning / coal burning stoves / solar panels.

- Almost all mining requires electricity for the currently used machinery. Trying to convert back would not happen quickly.
- solar panels wouldn't be producing any electricity, so they would be useless.

8] we may be able to use solar batteries to power things like our computers etc.

- Batteries merely store electricity for later use. Only no electricity so no power.

9] do satellites rely on electrcity ? Does the telecoms network need electricity to function ?

- yes and yes
- The reason simple landline phones work in a power outage is because electricity to run them comes through the phone line.

11] ships / trains etc they can be converted fairly easily to steam / sail

- You have a funny idea of what constitutes an easy conversion.
- Aside from the problem of just building masts and sewing sufficiently large sails, most modern ships use electricity to steer, whether they do it via electric motors or hydraulic pumps.
- Most train engines are either fully electric powered or diesel-electric. Neither would work because both use electric motors to drive the wheels. There is no mechanical linkage between the diesel engine and the drive wheels of a diesel-electric. It would probably be easier to build a steam locomotive from the ground up than to try to convert an existing diesel-electric.
- Of course, non of our electrically powered machine tools would be available to make any of the parts.

Meanwhile, millions of people will starve because we lack the means to distribute the food. Fresh produce that isn't immediately available to hand will rot within a few days of the loss of power for lack of transport and cold storage.
Farms near cities will be overrun by people looking for food once the supermarkets have run out. The government won't be able to stop it. The very people the government would rely on to do this, the military and police, would soon be looking for food for themselves or their families.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 09:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by wasaka

Conservatives want to go back... returning to a romantic period in the past

Most people who want to return to live in some "romantic period in the past" are looking at history through rose-coloured glasses.

They see a show like "Upstairs Downstairs" or "Downton Abbey" and think "wasn't life so much better then." Never considering that it was only great for those who lived "upstairs". These people would much more likely be living in some working-class neighbourhood, labouring in a factory or down in the mines six days a week, dying at what we would consider a young age to disease or accident.

Everyone imagines themselves to be in the landed classes rather than having the short unpleasant life of some serf.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 10:38 PM
link   

Lots of people have wood stoves, but many more don't... I'm thinking NYC Skyscraper apartment buildings. I lived for months without hydro in the ice storm of 1998 - I saw less prepared people freeze to death in their homes! Don't give yourself a false sense of security, there are parts of the world that get MIGHTY cold in the winter! Apartment buildings were freezing within hours... mere HOURS and people were panicking, people were making for the shelters, and people were getting injured.

I don't know of any farms that aren't reliant on modern electronic equipment. Let's take a commercial chicken barn for example. If the summer heat exceeds the capabilities of the cool air control, human beings have to stand there with hoses and cool the building with water else the animals die. How do you cool a tin shack in the August heat without electricity? "Back in the day" before suburbs were built on fertile land, these animals ran free, and any single farm did not house 360000 chicks as modern meat farms do.

The logistics are staggering. Where will all the oxen/horses come from who are already trained to pull the plows?

"back in the day" people still died of polio for Pete's sake, how would anyone on dialysis or chemo survive? How would we manufacture the newer vaccines without the labs and equipment we have today?

Not to play devil's advocate here, but if all the electricity went out... bam no more electronics, would they shut down the numerous nuclear reactors around the globe down on time? If just one major reactor goes, we could look at a nuclear winter... revolution didn't factor that one into their scenario.

And back to my other question, how many people have wells to draw clean water from? People living in a major city could take from hot water tanks, but that won't last long if the pumping station is no longer pumping.

Think about disasters like Ice storm 98, Hurricane Katrina, Hurricane Sandy, the Japan Earthquake... It's easy to say this or that in the comfort of your home, but have you LIVED through a disaster?

Now apply that to a GLOBAL catastrophe - 1/2 of the global population would be dead in the first year, and I'm sure 1/4 will kill each other within 5 years... people are nasty when they panic and when they starve.

3 minutes without air, 3 hours without shelter, 3 days without water, 3 weeks without food ... longer than 3 and you die, it's as simple as that.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 11:32 PM
link   

on the us episode tonight they did sort of explain what happen and promises to tell us more next week its by the guy from lost so flash backs seem to be his theme kinda like shamalan and the color red if you wanna catch up on the series you can watch most of it online and streaming either from the abc site or various other methods like one channel(google it) and you should be able to catch up its only up to episode 12 so far but it does get better as they explain it further though the series

my theory(as it has yet to be completely explained) is that the power is out due to a network of sattelites that are in orbit that generate some kind of field but as of yet they haven't totaly explained it just given hints and teasers

for those that have not seen the show basicly cars batteries etc all dont work with the exception of the pendant thingys they carry around which have yet to be totaly explained the only semi modern power we have seen has been steam engine in a train
edit on 1-4-2013 by RalagaNarHallas because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 01:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
BTW fossil fuels are still around it is just electrcity that is not.

Helen, have you ever tried to get a vehicle going without any electricity?

In the scenario of the show, it is a total loss of all forms of electrical power - vehicles ground to a halt. Diesel engine cars would probably be ok, provided you never turned off the engine, but most cars these days have computerised engine management systems so would probably shut down anyway.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Invariance
Not to play devil's advocate here, but if all the electricity went out... bam no more electronics, would they shut down the numerous nuclear reactors around the globe down on time? If just one major reactor goes, we could look at a nuclear winter... revolution didn't factor that one into their scenario.

As I understand it, most reactors do have emergency shutdown systems which will jam the graphite rods into the core, all but stopping the reactor. The only reason these didn't work so well at Fukishima was due to physical damage to the plant caused by the Tsunami.

I watched a program a few years ago whose premise was the sudden disappearance of mankind. In that scenario, the reactor cores shut down automatically. Whether this would work so well with a sudden loss of all power remains to be seen, but I don't think all the worlds reactors would blow their tops.

posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by erwalker

Bravo. Very well explained.

If only it could have been on the first page of replies

top topics

<< 12  13  14    16  17 >>

join