It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem...

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by RalagaNarHallas

How do you get food now ? Where does it come from ? I don't know does it just pop up out of the ground ? Do you think it is made in a factory ?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:10 PM
link   

I have only seen 2 of the episodes - so thanx for the spoiler !!!!!

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:12 PM
link   
reply to post by sulaw

yeah new york state is a nice place just stay out of the city! ive only been to upstate new york but where i was staying at the time it looked almost Victorian or colonial times with amish buggies everywhere and kids on horseback. rural areas will take back over you are defiantly correct on that.

more on topic to this thread what do cities like Shanghai and hong kong and toyko do in the op's scenario how do such densly populated areas survive with out modern tech....way to many people to even try to flee to the country side for a place like japan but they are a more extreme example

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelenConway
Has anyone been following this TV series:

Revolution is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction television drama series loosely based on the 2009 novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. It was created by Eric Kripke and produced by J. J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions for the NBC network. It debuted on September 17, 2012, and airs on Mondays at 10:00 pm (ET). en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

The premise is - the lights go off, FOR EVER and the world goes mad ! As if..

We survived for a long time, most of our species life time without electricity, and we did fine.

I mean we conquered the known world, built houses, made machines, textiles, plowed our fields with no electrcity. Hell we even had ocean going liners - no electricity does not mean no steam or sail power.

So why oh why do people think the world would go crazy if the lights went out.

We would just live like we did in the 1800s - it would be good for mankind IMO.

edit on 31-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

Ummm.... You see what happens in the hood when KFC runs out of chicken? What happens in "certain" areas after a natural disaster with no power? Lights out would be no good. The rural people though would have a much better chance.

Gs
edit on 1-4-2013 by GermanShep because: Add

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

well i get most of my vegetables and chicken from my neighbors(hutterites). but like most modern people i go to the store where the meat/produce/junkfood is shipped in using trucks fueled by fossil fuels after it is packaged using petroleum products to extend its shelf life in a factory powered by electricity. And the food gets to the factory on roads maintained with petrol products using machines powered by petrol that mine other components using electricity etc to acquire them. Before traveling on these roads the food comes from farms that either food is harvested using electricity or petrol driven machines that is then packaged for shipment to its destination and some of this food feeds the livestock that is fed by all of these machines planting and tilling the field,the cows most often or not milked by milking machines powered by electricity and then put in to containers either made of glass(needs electricity to produce in vast quantities) or other mediums that require electricity produce. and all of this is shipped on refrigerated trucks to be sent to refrigerated storage lockers and areas until its put in the display cases at the local store which is powered also by electricity

every thing in our modern food chain with limited exceptions(hunting/growing your own food) is provided either by fossil fuels or electricity,and if it were to suddenly disapear it would cause chaos for a good long time and even then the outcome may not be what you expected either

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:28 PM
link   

and what I am saying is the farms which currently produce food can continue to do so - the work would be more labour / animal intensive but doable.

As I have said many many times on this thread London had a population of a million people in the late 1800s - those people ate, believe it or not.

I agree it might take real organisation and vision and leadership but adapt we would. sink or swim.

Anyone running around shooting people would not last long, anyone panicking would not last long, anyone who was violent would not last long - those who are willing to work together and cooperate would survive and do well again.

I do not believe militias would form successfully - there would still be police and the army even in such circumstances ... would the govt fall - not if they were competent, but given most are not then probably

BTW fossil fuels are still around it is just electrcity that is not.

edit on 1-4-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 04:54 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 05:24 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:02 PM
link   
Oi I will bang your heads together in a minute lol.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:10 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Have you filled out the relevant risk assessment and safety precautions form for that activity?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Dispo

Three times now sir I also have the gloves, facemask and goggles to preform the head banging duty Sir

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:18 PM
link   

edit on 1-4-2013 by captaintyinknots because: I shouldnt feed trolls.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:24 PM
link   

edit on 1-4-2013 by Dispo because: passive aggressive message here

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:25 PM
link   

edit on 1-4-2013 by captaintyinknots because: I refuse to get dragged into an off topic bicker fest.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:26 PM
link   

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:27 PM
link   

edit on 1-4-2013 by Dispo because: I am also scared of the mods.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

edit on 1-4-2013 by Dispo because: I am also scared of the mods.

Tirade of abuse? Seriously? If calling a spade a spade is abuse to you, you've lead a very cushy life.

If an OP cannot handle counter arguments to their thread, and resorts to deflection and dragging the thread off topic as opposed to actually discussing it, it is not abuse to call that out.

Geez, what happened to ATS?

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by captaintyinknots

thank you for your off topic feedback and for doing exactly what you claim I am doing .. nice

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 06:33 PM
link   

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join