It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

''Revolution'' - the new TV series, 'turning the lights off' would NOT lead to mayhem...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:07 AM
link   
Has anyone been following this TV series:

Revolution is an American post-apocalyptic science fiction television drama series loosely based on the 2009 novel by American writer William R. Forstchen. It was created by Eric Kripke and produced by J. J. Abrams' Bad Robot Productions for the NBC network. It debuted on September 17, 2012, and airs on Mondays at 10:00 pm (ET). en.wikipedia.org...(TV_series)

The premise is - the lights go off, FOR EVER and the world goes mad ! As if..

We survived for a long time, most of our species life time without electricity, and we did fine.

I mean we conquered the known world, built houses, made machines, textiles, plowed our fields with no electrcity. Hell we even had ocean going liners - no electricity does not mean no steam or sail power.

So why oh why do people think the world would go crazy if the lights went out.

We would just live like we did in the 1800s - it would be good for mankind IMO.

edit on 31-3-2013 by HelenConway because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   
reply to post by HelenConway

I agree. And no the store shelves would not be empty for long. We transported goods in wagons for a long time before cars.It would actually create more jobs too.

+10 more 
posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:15 AM
link   

I disagree with you, maybe the older generation could do it again but we have forgotten so much already because we do not need to know it at the moment.
Think about it no food due to it not getting to the shops no way of storage refrigeration etc. I live in a little place of about 80 thousand people and after two weeks most people would be starving combing the country trying to find food and fighting for it.
Many on ATS may do just fine due to reading the survival forums etc but the average person would have no idea what to do next, I think it would be like Mad Max for a few years until the strongest banded together to try and make a decent life for all.

A real good show to watch which shows how hard it would be is Survivors the 70's show watch it here.

edit on 31-3-2013 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by ohioriver

I agree. And no the store shelves would not be empty for long. We transported goods in wagons for a long time before cars.It would actually create more jobs too.

I disagree ...
The possibility of us going back to the 1800's type of existence would be no problem IF the majority of citizens STILL had the knowledge of our Great-Grandparents..BUT most do not..Big cities such as NYC or Chicago as in the premise for Revolution..Have a excellent point the large cities would most certainly become Death traps! If Katrina or Sandy taught us anything, Is do NOT rely on the Govt for help...we will be on our own if the power goes out for good and MAYBE in 10 + years we would see some semblance of a normal society..
edit on 3/31/2013 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

I agree with you..No matter if its the UK or USA we will still have to deal with the Ignorance of the general population not having ANY skills to enable self preservation..

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:24 AM
link   

How will you make those wagons quick enough to feed the masses? how are you going to get the amount of horses needed to pull those wagons before everyone started to starve? how are you going to keep the food fresh? think it through again.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:25 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

We would not be starving.#

Britain - used to grow enough food to feed itself and it can again. Of course - it does not help that we have overpopulated ourselves in the past 15 years for some reason.

We would use heavy horses for farming - we would invest our labour and resources in farms and labour intensive food production.

The miners would get their jobs back as steam once again powers the machinery.

The ship builders would once more build great fleets of big tall ships and steam ships.

We do not need electricity to make steel we just need furnaces and strong men.

We would be absolutely fine.

When you say ' your generation' what you mean is everyone born in the past 120 years actually.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Also in the 1800's the population was around 1 billion and many starved now it is nearly 7 billion...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:26 AM
link   
reply to post by ohioriver

Exactly - we would live like the Amish, who i admire.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by DjembeJedi

I disagree ...
The possibility of us going back to the 1800's type of existence would be no problem IF the majority of citizens STILL had the knowledge of our Great-Grandparents..BUT most do not..Big cities such as NYC or Chicago as in the premise for Revolution..Have a excellent point the large cities would most certainly become Death traps! If Katrina or Sandy taught us anything, Is do NOT rely on the Govt for help...we will be on our own if the power goes out for good and MAYBE in 10 + years we would see some semblance of a normal society..
edit on 3/31/2013 by DjembeJedi because: (no reason given)

Yea it would take a bit of adjustment - but our grandparents and great grandparents skill can be rehoned / learnt.
The govt / military / police would still exist.
We would all be fine.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Also in the 1800's the population was around 1 billion and many starved now it is nearly 7 billion...

Well the population was lower that is true - maybe the population has grown a bit too big !

But seriously - it would take adjustments - but we would be fine. We would have to live in harmony with the planet once again.

We would farm the land again ...

It may happen.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:30 AM
link   
You cant just pull the plug on modern day society. Total anarchy and chaos would ensure.

Its in our nature to survive and that we would, at least some of us would. The rest would starve or be eaten!
edit on 31-3-2013 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Yes we would after two weeks people would start eating each other.

Right the electricity goes off, everyone's freezers die, we eat what we have then go looking for food..where is that food?
It would take time to sort everything out maybe many many years, you can't just sort out food distribution without any communications, no fuel, no modern farming machines etc.
We would be absolutely fecked.
Tell me where is the nearest forge? where is the nearest mine? can you smelt Iron? we have machines to make machines nowadays.
Some would survive but If you think everything will be fine and dandy you will not be one of them.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake
You cant just pull the plug on modern day society. Total anarchy and chaos would ensure.

Only if people chose that path. In fact we should still be able to have enough food - it does not take electrcity to grow food, we still have sail ships and diesel vessels can be converted to steam - so we would still be able to transport goods.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:33 AM
link   

"it does not take electrcity to grow food"

No but I takes time and effort to grow food. How do you do that when everyone else is trying to take whats yours?

And that's Human nature im afraid!

I'm not saying isolated pockets of society would not survive and overcome, they would but in a very limited capacity.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Yes we would after two weeks people would start eating each other.

Right the electricity goes off, everyone's freezers die, we eat what we have then go looking for food..where is that food?
It would take time to sort everything out maybe many many years, you can't just sort out food distribution without any communications, no fuel, no modern farming machines etc.
We would be absolutely fecked.
Tell me where is the nearest forge? where is the nearest mine? can you smelt Iron? we have machines to make machines nowadays.
Some would survive but If you think everything will be fine and dandy you will not be one of them.

I agree - it would take time and perseverence to re discover these skills.

But I say it would take about 18 months max.

I think it would be so good for the world.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:34 AM
link   

How when all the roads are blocked with cars, Think about it, no electricity you couldn't communicate you couldn't phone the police when your food is being stolen.
Come on Helen don't be naive.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by andy06shake

"it does not take electrcity to grow food"

No but I takes time and effort to grow food. How do you do that when everyone else is trying to take whats yours?

And that's Human nature im afraid!

I know it does.

What I am saying is that we would be fine - maybe not initially but we would breed horses to help work the land.
We would use steam and wind power and mine coal for fuel.

We would plant forests and gradually work the land in a sustainable fashion not as we do today.

Candles and gas can be used for light and we could probably fashion batteries out of water / copper and various materials.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:38 AM
link   

It would take a lot longer than 18 months to do all that Helen maybe 10 -20 years after 95% of the population have killed each other off for the dwindling resources.
Then we can all live happily ever after

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:39 AM
link   

How when all the roads are blocked with cars, Think about it, no electricity you couldn't communicate you couldn't phone the police when your food is being stolen.
Come on Helen don't be naive.

Am I ?

We did not have phones 100 years ago - our ancestors did fine.

I mean I even hear people say that the grid would collapse if the internet went out - I mean what a load of rubbish.

The internet has only been around in its present mass market form for about 15 years.

Do you think we could not live the way we did 15 - 20 years ago also ?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join