It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea Watch 2013-2019

page: 58
<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:22 AM
link   
That's very odd, It might be because NK has a pretty clear shot at Japan ( distance wise ) and with Fukushima and the failed economy I think they don't want to take any risks.

Also, I think japan fears that while America is very supportive towards SK it's not that willingly to do so for Japan.
WIse choise tbh.

The whole agreement stinks anyway. Most countries like the idea of MAD.
26/04/13 (4th LD) N. Korea snubs Seoul's call for Kaesong talks
english.yonhapnews.co.kr...

SEOUL, April 26 (Yonhap) -- North Korea on Friday rejected Seoul's proposal to hold official talks to end the suspension of a joint industrial complex, warning it could be the first to take grave action.

The rejection cast a cloud over the future of the industrial complex in the North's border town of Kaesong, which has remained idle since Pyongyang pulled out all of its 53,000 laborers working there on April 9 amid escalating tensions on the Korean peninsula.

edit on 26-4-2013 by Senduko because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by auroraaus

might be the Japan not sign NPT droop ,and a droop he is , why would he do such a thing is unthinkable nay inhuman!!!! starting to have web problems might need to debug so with this i will leave you www.nknews.org... from the link

A Plan To Hasten North Korean Regime Collapse
"The Spelunker" outlines a plan to 'speeden and expedite North Korean regime collapse'.
A Plan To Hasten North Korean Regime Collapse
April 10, 2013

WARNING: The following article is a radical proposal for subversive activity with the primary objective of facilitating regime change in North Korea. Those with a weak appetite for anti-DPRK military discussion are advised not to read.

*** The views expressed in this article are those of the author and do not necessarily represent the views of, and should not be attributed to, NK NEWS.***

by The Spelunker

In 2008 the United States proposed developing a detailed Operations Plan [OPLAN] in case the North Korean regime collapses. Of course in order for this plan to take effect it would first be necessary for the North Korean regime to actually demonstrate a serious coup attempt. The U.S.-Republic of Korea (ROK) Combined Forces Command plan features preparations by the South Korean and U.S. military forces to secure nuclear weapons, manage an inflow of North Korean refugees and other unusual situations should a regime collapse scenario unfold. That doesn’t appear to be happening at the moment, but is there anything that can be done to help bring such a plan into operation? Dare we think of ways to expedite a regime collapse?
there is more to read in the link but it is a thought to leave you all with, til next time , lets all pray that this is just more of the same old tough talk and, not an action this time!!

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 02:31 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

That's the thing, this horrid negative part of me WANTS to see the endgame in this matter, seeing it's been going on for over half a century. Same with the middle east. Will a final war, despite mass casualties, bring about long-term peace?? Are we, the western world, the ones who can't see the light? So many questions.

I feel bad for saying it, but I wish for that exponential...

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:19 AM
link   

Yonhap News Agency ‏@YonhapNews 3m

(URGENT) S. Korea advises withdrawal of all workers from Kaesong: unification minister

Yonhap News Agency ‏@YonhapNews 3m

(URGENT) S. Korea urges N. Korea to ensure safe passage of workers, protection of property at Kaesong

so, do you think this will be the end of the tensions for a while or where is it going now? Gen. Martin Dempsey today said today that they think there will be quite the long period of NK threats

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 04:23 AM
link   
reply to post by Zerschmetterling

Well Fact SK is removing its workers from the industrial zone could be a sign it will get pretty wild pretty fast. Its the ultimate bluff card NK and SK have. And it seems like they are going all in.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 07:17 AM
link   

What in goodness' name is going on??

I don't understand - NK is still keeping the complex closed, has rejected negotiations, has rejected SK's attempts to negotiate and now SK is moving the final groups of workers out of the complex

But...but I though the complex was a massive source of income for the impoverished North? Sure, it won't do much harm for SK - but for NK, it'll be a massive blow - why would NK do this? Analysts have previously said that it's only when NK shuts the complex that it means business or really wants to show its defiance and anger against the world. If it isn't because of this, then they're really shooting themselves in the foot, as it were.

Maybe I'm overreacting - can someone set me right? Is this very serious or not?

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 09:20 AM
link   
reply to post by HomoSapiensSapiens

It is just as puzzling as you say...especially because regardless of all the silliness, there is likely an endgame plan here, but we don't know enough about Un to guess it.

It can't really be as stupid as it all seems, can it? Not without a coup happening... NK's moves are simply baffling. I guess we'll just have to see if China can talk some sense into him.

Personally, I hope the UN folks are drafting up some resolutions for compliance or the authorization of military force to end these threats of missiles. We certainly shouldn't do any kind of attack without Russia and China voting for it, which will no doubt involve their input in the endgame plan for what to do with NK. If anything, even press whispers of this should be enough to wake Lil' Kim out of this delusion.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Things will heat up again after the NK Army finishes the spring plant of rice, soybeans and cabbage.

Then things will tone down a bit while the NK army does the summer/fall harvest, then they'll heat up again when their finished..

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
here is the full story on what park is to do about Kaesong: linky english.yonhapnews.co.kr... in full , it is a short read

2013/04/26 18:56 KST
text size plustext size minusprintsend twittersend facebooksend msn
(2nd LD) S. Korea decides to pull out all workers from Kaesong complex
SEOUL, April 26 (Yonhap) -- South Korea announced its decision Friday to withdraw all of its workers from a jointly run industrial complex in North Korea after Pyongyang spurned its offer for dialogue to resolve disputes over the last symbol of inter-Korean rapprochement.

The South Korean decision, announced by its unification minister, Ryoo Kihl-jae, called into question the fate of the Kaesong Industrial Complex which has been in limbo for nearly a month.

"We made the decision to withdraw all workers in light of mounting difficulties they face at the complex," Ryoo told a nationally televised news conference.

A total of 175 South Koreans remained at the factory zone as of Friday, down from the usual 800 workers there, according to Unification Ministry officials. On April 9, North Korea had pulled out all of its 53,000 workers from the zone, virtually shutting it down.

Ryoo accused North Korea of reneging on its obligations and agreements it had reached with South Korea to open the zone in 2004. The project is a direct product of the historic inter-Korean summit in 2000.

The South Korean decision came hours after North Korea turned down Seoul's proposal for dialogue, warning that it could take "grave action" of its own in regards to the industrial zone.

[email protected]
(END)
Form what has been said and the actions by SK and the DPRK , Especially Un: this is boiling down to a full blown war , the reason:
DPRK to have Nukes and to, once and for all, make Korea one nation.
Why
the land in DPRK is spent, it will not produce food, they can not make fertilizer nor can they feed their own any more , rather that give up nukes, for food aid and lift the sanctions; Un and the DPRK have decided to do every thing posible to be on the road to war.

I think it started as a bluff , but now has gone beyond that, Un might have been counting on China as the big Bro, this is turned out not to be true , China is on our side of this issue , they will not have , nor will they stand for Un have nukes. I do think we can not make the first move , that is to say open fire or make any attempt on Un or the DPRK as preemptive strike, for this would be a , to put it bluntly a no no by China.

China would let us US SK and Japan defend them selves, and return fire, but would not US or any else Nuke DPRK or Un China would be the one to do that, if at all.
China might be against Un but do not let this say that they would let nukes fly by anyone if they do , China just might send Nukes their way, no matter what Nation send them first. I do apologize for the heavy read, but it had to be said, although this is just my view and 10cents worth, tossed a quarter in, now can have my change, no ? oh well add it to the tip jar. 15cents will get yea kimche for 2

edit on 26-4-2013 by bekod because: line edit

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 12:58 PM
link   
reply to post by bg_socalif

What harvest ?? it is enough for one month for half the nation, if that, i will see if i can find that , it was under the opinion line, I can not find it. it was in 2012 that this years spring harvest was good for half of what was planted, but not enough for all, that they would be still a food shortage.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by HomoSapiensSapiens

What in goodness' name is going on??

I don't understand - NK is still keeping the complex closed, has rejected negotiations, has rejected SK's attempts to negotiate and now SK is moving the final groups of workers out of the complex

But...but I though the complex was a massive source of income for the impoverished North? Sure, it won't do much harm for SK - but for NK, it'll be a massive blow - why would NK do this? Analysts have previously said that it's only when NK shuts the complex that it means business or really wants to show its defiance and anger against the world. If it isn't because of this, then they're really shooting themselves in the foot, as it were.

Maybe I'm overreacting - can someone set me right? Is this very serious or not?

Additional isolation for the North would lead me to believe that something is happening, that this is more than the North's typical banter and chest pounding. Perhaps this is a means for slowing the dissemination of information, the tourism market has all but been shut down, as well. A coup would be a far more serious situation, as Un would use every option at his disposal rather than be the failed prodigy. This is not a move from a position of power, he has already alienated himself from his allies, yet he is unwilling to grab any of the easily sensationalized carrots being offered him. Just a gut feeling, but we will see something happen in the coming weeks and months, whether it is a cleansing of the military ranks or an invasion into the south by high profile military officials aimed at weakening their numbers, we definitely will not see the militarized regime engage in opened civil war as the stakes are to high for all involved.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:28 PM
link   
Tbh, We all know this time is different. He made it clear he wants to be a nuclear power. Noone will let him. And I know for a fact he won't stand down.

War is the only possible outcome i'm afraid. The thing is Kim is worrisome true, but its the generals behind him that are far more dangerous.

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 01:44 PM
link   
just in case you were wondering about the DPRK had to say here it is www.kcna.kp... long read but it is worth it to get the full scope of what is in the Minds of the DPRK and Un

NDC Policy Department Threatens to Take Final, Decisive Step

[Article List]
[Video]
[Photo]
[Music]
[Larger Font]
[Smaller Font]
[Expand]

Korean / English / Chinese / Spanish / Japanese
Pyongyang, April 26 (KCNA) -- A spokesman for the Policy Department of the National Defence Commission (NDC) of the DPRK released the following statement Friday:
The DPRK already made public the principled stand of its army and people as to the south Korean puppet authorities' "proposal for dialogue" under the grave war-like situation created on the Korean Peninsula.
All the Koreans in the north and the south and abroad and the world peace-loving people are unanimous in their demand that the south Korean authorities prove in practice its sincerity regarding the "proposal for dialogue".
The puppet authorities, however, instigated die-hard conservative gangsters to scatter copies of literature malignantly slandering the DPRK on the occasion of its Day of the Army.
Those copies of literature were packaged in dishonest and provocative language slandering the dignified social system in the DPRK and shifting the blame for the situation of the Kaesong Industrial Zone on to the DPRK.
What merits serious attention is that human scum who directly scattered the anti-DPRK leaflets made appearance in official media and said that they committed the hostile act after approaching the area close to the "line under civilian control" unrestricted by the authorities.
This proves that the scattering operation was conducted at the tacit connivance and under the manipulation of the authorities.
This, at the same time, proves that the "dialogue offer" made by them is nothing but a crafty trick to make the mockery of the public and evade from the responsibility for the war-like situation.
The recent operation can not be overlooked as it was openly carried out at a time when the Chongwadae chief is loudly crying out for "abidance by north-south agreements".
There were times in the past when the north and the south adopted valuable agreements for reconciliation, unity, peace and prosperity such as the June 15 joint declaration and the October 4 declaration, bringing delight to the nation.
If these agreements, gains common to the nation, had been abided by and implemented, there would not have been such a nightmare of the confrontation between fellow countrymen as today and this land would not have turned into a hotbed of war.
The chief of Chongwadae in public appearance asserted that the north should observe the north-south agreements but behind scene let human scum scatter leaflets, revealing her true colors as an element seeking confrontation with fellow countrymen.
The most frantic south Korea-U.S. naval landing drill is going on in the East Sea of Korea at this time quite contrary to her much touted dialogue and negotiations, pushing the tense situation to the point of explosion.
Is there any provision which allows mud-slinging and hostile acts against the other party in the north-south agreements?
The Kaesong Industrial Zone (KIZ) is now on the verge of collapse. This is entirely attributable to the reckless war hysteria of the south Korean puppet regime.
As recognized by the world, the KIZ is a precious gain in the June 15 era of reunification.
The Korean People's Army made a bold decision such as offering the major military vantage point in the area along the Military Demarcation Line as a plot for the KIZ though huge armed forces are standing in acute confrontation. In the subsequent period the KPA made every possible effort for its normal operation despite all the obstructive moves of the U.S. and the puppet regime.
This is fully evidenced by the fact that traitor Lee Myung Bak's heinous "May 24 step against the north" dared not affect the KIZ.
Even when the smear campaign launched by the regime with ultra-right conservative politicians and media involved reached an intolerable phase, the DPRK did not take such important steps as forcibly expelling personnel of the south and totally closing the KIZ. But, there is now a limit to the DPRK's efforts and patience.
At a time when the U.S. hostile acts and the resultant nuclear war racket reached an extreme phase, traitor Kim Kwan Jin who is the boss of the military gangsters openly disclosed his scenario to ask the U.S. imperialist aggressor forces to hurl even their commando into the KIZ in anticipation of "hostage taking" there.
As the KIZ turned into a de facto scene of "hostage taking" to be abused by the U.S. and south Korean military gangsters for provoking an all-out war any time, the DPRK was compelled to take steps for banning personnel from entering the zone and temporarily suspending operations in the zone in order to ensure the safety of personnel from the south.
Nevertheless, the puppet regime floated misinformation that the DPRK "refused to take minimum humanitarian step" for the personnel of the south remaining in the zone. On Thursday the group let a spokesman for the "Ministry of Unification" release a statement little short of an "ultimatum" accusing the DPRK like a wolf concerned about a sheep.
The regime plunged the KIZ into the unrecoverable state and escalated the tension while not doing what it should do, not content with viciously hurting the dignity of the DPRK with such rhetoric as "financial source" and "drain on resources". Its action can never be pardoned under any circumstances.
The arch criminals who pushed the inter-Korean relations to the brink of a war floated the deceptive story about "talks between authorities", not yet coming to their senses and even became vocal about an "ultimatum-like crucial measure". This will precipitate their final destruction.
If they are truly worried about the lives of south Korean personnel in the KIZ, they may withdraw all of them to the south side where there are stockpile of food and raw materials and sound medical conditions.
Institutions concerned of the DPRK will responsibly take all the humanitarian measures including the provision of guarantee for their personal safety that may arise in the course of the withdrawal.
If the south Korean puppet regime keeps aggravating the situation, in disregard of the situation, it will be the DPRK, not south Korea, that will be forced to take the final decisive and crucial measure first. -0-
so to sum it up: an other threat , not being the one[Un DPRK as being the ones who started all this, but blaming the SK US for it and,] blaming the SK and US for the Kaesong closing, when it was the Un and the DPRK doing it. lastly , DPRK is blaming the US SK of the failure of the talks when it was Un and the DPRK that failed to come to terms. does that cover it? I think so but then that is just me.

edit on 26-4-2013 by bekod because: added link, line edit

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by bekod

China is on our side of this issue

Hehe...
No, China is on CHINA'S side of the issue. They love humiliating us, but in this case, we both want the same thing, a denuclearized NK. That's the ONLY reason for their support here.

To the above, yeah, you got it right, NK is blaming SK for the breakdown, when NK is the one who shut down the plant in the first place....
Sure, Kim...ok....

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

What China wants is US Forces off the Asian Land Mass. That is what She has always wanted. If NK can do that or even get close to it, China will happily sacrifice every North Korean in existence.

If this blows up as it well might, I expect China to be the one to send in troops in overwhelming numbers, purely as a Peace Keeping force, just to stop the unwanted violence.

She could end up with a vast majority of the world lauding her efforts. Those that don't will be silently clapping while thinking, Well Played!

P

posted on Apr, 26 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
4/26/13 NKorea says it will indict American citizen
Source

PYONGYANG, North Korea — North Korea said Saturday it will soon put a detained American on trial for allegedly trying to overthrow the government, further complicating already fraught relations between Pyongyang and Washington. The indictment of Kenneth Bae comes in the middle of something of a lull after weeks of war threats and other provocative acts by North Korea against the U.S. and South Korea. It has expressed rage over U.N. sanctions over a February nuclear test and ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills, though analysts say Pyongyang's motive is to get its Korean War foes to negotiate on its own terms. Bae, identified in North Korean state media by his Korean name, Pae Jun Ho, is a tour operator of Korean descent who was arrested after arriving with a tour on Nov. 3 in Rason, a special economic zone bordering China and Russia.

"The preliminary inquiry into crimes committed by American citizen Pae Jun Ho closed," the official Korean Central News Agency said in a brief report. "In the process of investigation he admitted that he committed crimes aimed to topple the DPRK with hostility toward it. His crimes were proved by evidence."

I suggest reading the entire article at the source.
I wonder if he was some sort of refugee broker, that I've read about in defector's stories.

edit on 26-4-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by PutAQuarterIn
4/26/13 NKorea says it will indict American citizen
Source

PYONGYANG, North Korea — North Korea said Saturday it will soon put a detained American on trial for allegedly trying to overthrow the government, further complicating already fraught relations between Pyongyang and Washington. The indictment of Kenneth Bae comes in the middle of something of a lull after weeks of war threats and other provocative acts by North Korea against the U.S. and South Korea. It has expressed rage over U.N. sanctions over a February nuclear test and ongoing U.S.-South Korean military drills, though analysts say Pyongyang's motive is to get its Korean War foes to negotiate on its own terms. Bae, identified in North Korean state media by his Korean name, Pae Jun Ho, is a tour operator of Korean descent who was arrested after arriving with a tour on Nov. 3 in Rason, a special economic zone bordering China and Russia.

"The preliminary inquiry into crimes committed by American citizen Pae Jun Ho closed," the official Korean Central News Agency said in a brief report. "In the process of investigation he admitted that he committed crimes aimed to topple the DPRK with hostility toward it. His crimes were proved by evidence."

I suggest reading the entire article at the source.
I wonder if he was some sort of refugee broker, that I've read about in defector's stories.

edit on 26-4-2013 by PutAQuarterIn because: (no reason given)

Alt. source

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:10 AM
link   
What if Kim Un is waiting for the H7N9 virus to decimate or distract China before attacking?
While we cannot be sure if he has the Bio_tech to do it, it is a possibility.

M.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 01:27 AM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

he's in for a long wait, but he should be more concerned about his hidden funds $1 Billion worth might add www.koreaherald.com... or China taking North Korea as payment,think North Korea is worth $6.98 Billion? from the link in full

‘N. Korean leader has $1 billion slush funds’

Published : 2013-04-26 20:51
Updated : 2013-04-26 20:51
WASHINGTON (Yonhap News) ― North Korean leader Kim Jong-un is believed to have more than $1 billion in overseas secret bank accounts, according to a news report that cited an intelligence official.

The Washington Times quoted the unnamed official as saying there are reports that Kim and his family maintain at least $1 billion in slush funds in Switzerland, Austria and Luxembourg.

The U.S. is trying to ratchet up financial pressure on Pyongyang to curb its nuclear and missile programs.

The U.N. Security Council imposed new sanctions on the communist regime after its Feb. 12 nuclear test.

The official argues an effective way to squeeze Pyongyang financially would be pressing it to repay its debts.

“In order to cut off North Korea’s funds for developing weapons of mass destruction, we should trace and block the Kim family’s overseas secret funds in addition to calling for creditor companies to call on North Korea to repay its debts,” the official said.

Estimates put the amount of foreign debt owed by North Korea at $14 billion from some 30 countries.

North Korea owes Japan $400 million, Sweden $330 million, Iran $300 million, Germany $300 million, Thailand $260 million, Switzerland $100 million and Iraq $50 million, a Treasury official told the Washington Times. All of the nations are demanding repayment, but China and Russia are still lukewarm on the international debt repayment efforts.

China, a key North Korean patron, is owed $6.98 billion by Pyongyang and Russia is owed $1.1 billion, mainly from transfers of military assets and other assistance, the newspaper said.

“Treasury has been using tools at its disposal to increase financial pressure on the North Korean regime by targeting individuals and entities responsible for facilitating payments connected to North Korea’s nuclear and ballistic missile program, as well as financial institutions such as the Foreign Trade Bank, which has served as a key node for the regime’s foreign exchange,” the Treasury official was quoted as saying.
Un has no funds and the DPRK has no cash can not feed its people... yea right... and cows fly all the time.

posted on Apr, 27 2013 @ 02:38 AM
link   
Good news FIRST GROUP OF Kaesong WORKERS RETURN 11 of them!!!!!!! here is link english.yonhapnews.co.kr... in full

2013/04/27 14:57 KST
text size plustext size minusprintsend twittersend facebooksend msn
(3rd LD) S. Korean workers return home from Kaesong
(ATTN: CHANGES headline, lead; UPDATES throughout with return of workers)
SEOUL, April 27 (Yonhap) -- South Korean workers at a jointly run industrial complex in North Korea returned home Saturday, Seoul officials said, a day after the government here decided to withdraw them following Pyongyang's rejection of an offer for dialogue.

According to officials, 11 workers came home from the Kaesong industrial complex Saturday afternoon with 116 more scheduled to follow later in the day
the last will be back in SK on Monday unless [Un er DPRK change their mind and use them as a chip, lets hope and pray i am wrong about that. ]

<< 55  56  57    59  60  61 >>

join