It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Communism fell, will capitalism be next?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Just think about how it feels being in a non subsidising country having to compete against American subsidies, your agricultural program reeks...

Free trade is a crock...

posted on Nov, 8 2004 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Saerlaith

And what about Star Trek? Is there any geek analysis of the federation's economy? I thought they were concerned that everyone had meaningful, appropriate work, plenty to eat, etc and self-expression. There must be something to glean out of that fantasy universe

Im not a expert on Star Trek but in the Federation there was no money what so ever.Things like food were never a problem as you had machines like replicators that could just make it out of thin air. Im not sure if they even tried to explain how the whole economy came to be like that.

But the federation lived along speices that where very capitalistic like the Ferengies with their gold pressed latinum.

Before I get flammed by some Trekkie I know now there are some cases where a Federation credit is talked about but these seem to be used more for dealing with other races that have currency-based economics.

Heck I doubt those starfleet people were drinking for free at Quarks bar.

[edit on 8-11-2004 by ShadowXIX]

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
as already mentioned, true communism has NEVER been implemented. communism was designed for a country that is already industrialized, russia was still agricultural. communism is supposed to be classless, in every instance as soon as the revolution was over, people were split into ruling and ruled classes. as for capitolism failing, marx said that capitolism would continue untill the rich have almost everything, and the poor have nothing, with no middle class. this will lead to a revolution and then communism. personally i think if it did get that bad, after the revolution there wouldn't be communism, just a redistribution of goods followed by another capitolist state.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You all talk about what is wrong with the system, what is wrong with this country, and what is wrong with this world. I hear you. We All Here You!
But when are you going to do something about it? Who amongst you will stand up and f###ing DO SOMETHING! Talk is Cheap. Action is Heroic.

I have an idea that is better than capitalism and fair for everyone.

But to be fair to capitalism, it is a great system... the best the world has ever known. there is no doubt about that.

My system doesn't have a name. but here's the idea...its like...

Capitalism but with Govt. Restrictions on Ownership of multple businesses. The Corportations should be capped in the amount that they can steal from their employees. By having a "divine" ratio to the amount the corporation can spend on r&d and profits & corporate salaries compared to the average "blue collar" employee. They need to be a little closer, whether the big shots get less or the majority gets more.

Years ago companies used to have pension plans, but this is rare today... make it mandatory, if even in small amounts.

Then the Govt. Needs to take control of National Resources and All Utilities such as gas, water, electric, ect. I don't think that "capitalistic greed" should play that big a role in our lives...but it should in the "products" that I buy. I know this sounds communistic...

I think that these are 2 neccessary changes that need to be made to the current sysyem in order to bring the classes closer together and stop the problem with families having too much capital and ownership.

posted on Nov, 9 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by HISTER
You all talk about what is wrong with the system, what is wrong with this country, and what is wrong with this world. I hear you. We All Here You!
But when are you going to do something about it? Who amongst you will stand up and f###ing DO SOMETHING! Talk is Cheap. Action is Heroic.

Well, if you trust Marx then the answer to that question is that citizens living within capitalist nations aren't quite poor enough yet. Most people won't do anything about it because they still have their new cars, big screen HD TVs and faster than ever computers. They still have fast food restaurants on every corner right across from stores that sell flashy name brand clothing. Nevermind the massive credit debt...

Nothing will be done as long as people still have access to those things that will keep them sitting complacently on their couches.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join