It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police Officer 'Sues Garage Burglary Victim'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:38 AM
link   

A police officer is suing a petrol station owner after apparently tripping on a kerb on his property when called to reports of a break-in.

The officer was called to Harvest filling station in Thetford, Norfolk last summer.

It is understood that she is claiming she fell and injured her leg.

BBC News

Now I am by no means one of these people who likes to go around bashing police officers every time the give someone a speeding ticket or pull out a Taser. But this is just ridiculous this police officer is trying to sue the owner of the Petrol station because she tripped over when responding to the emergency call. I cant see how that is right.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:57 AM
link   
And its taken her nearly a year to get around to it? sounds like someones realised theres a time limit to these sort of cases and wants to ensure its in nice and early, and 60k for tripping
and surely she should be suing the police force since they didn't do a proper health and safety inspection before dispatching her to the scene

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Tripped on a kerb? ( curb in American English)

I suppose the garage owner just left that nasty curb laying about in the open did they...

This is almost too much to believe. I'm gonna go stub my toe on the Washington Monument and sue the U.S. Government. Nasty monument should not just be sitting there in everone's way.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:53 AM
link   
reply to post by OtherSideOfTheCoin

I didn't half laugh when I read this on BBC earlier, it's just downright stupid... there is people who actually go out and "trip" on purpose too just to put claims like this in. I'm not saying that is what is happening here but here in the UK we really have adopted the suing and compensation as a way of life.

Sometimes there is good reason for it, others it is just... American (no offense to any Americans)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I have to admit, I'm intrigued as to how what appears to be an act of clumsiness has been framed to make a compensation claim in this case.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   
Yea that cop was trippin' alright.

If that's was the other way around, it would get swept under the bus quickly.

Property owner was lucky enough not to get arrested ..just say.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Parasites wear uniforms too.

I hope this woman ends up with getting fired and ridiculed for wasting police funds on such a rediculous case.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:02 AM
link   
you can file suit for anything, its doesn't mean that it will ever see the inside of a court. judges simply, and with expedience, refuse to accept many rediculous filings, it's just a tedious part of the job.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:05 AM
link   
the police officer in question is over weight.

Fat police woman pics

it appears we can now be held to account if the police are too fat and clumsy to do their jobs properly.

worrying.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:26 AM
link   

Hilarious ain't it?

If this stupid idiot cop doesn't know the risks of the job then maybe should've tried being a flower seller or something

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by RAY1990

I didn't half laugh when I read this on BBC earlier, it's just downright stupid... there is people who actually go out and "trip" on purpose too just to put claims like this in. I'm not saying that is what is happening here but here in the UK we really have adopted the suing and compensation as a way of life.

Sometimes there is good reason for it, others it is just... American (no offense to any Americans)

Now, why would American's take offense at an obvious slanderous remark?

For the record, it takes a real stroke of genius to make that quantum leap from a lazy overweight UK scum police officer to an American reference. And, I guess all of the American lazy overweight police officers are....well, quite Brit-like I guess (no offense).

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
When I saw this story on SKY news earlier i have to admit that i just laughed out loud..............

Then I REALISED that April the 1st is tomorrow...............!!!!!

What a ludicrous story this is......... the female WPC tripped over a kerb stone which was part of the cars wash area specifically designed for the car to park within....MAYBE she has never washed her car before at a car wash and didn't recognise the layout or maybe she is just a greedy Pig cashing in a a society and culture of pure greed.....!!

The fact that the Police federation are supporting her claim REALLY damages the image of the POLICE in my eyes and unless Common sense prevails with this case soon then i have lost alot of RESPECT for the UK Police....

Regards

PDUK
edit on 31-3-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2013 by PurpleDog UK because: spelling

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Does she also sue drunken thugs resisting arrest whom,I assume,she will have had to deal with every weekend?
I feel sorry for the garage owner-he feels the cops should be on his side,as a hard working small businessman.
I agree with him.

Thing is-the cop wasn't even injured at the time-she just got up and carried on with her job.
Therefore any injury sustained after the event may well have been her own doing-by carrying on walking about.
He should tell that to the court I rek.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:08 AM
link   
just another reason to deal with your own problems instead of relying on corrupt police

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Oh seems you have the same types of sue happy people over there as we do here.

It seems every day I read about someone who is suing another for their OWN stupidity and fault. I didn't realize that tripping over a curb was grounds for profit. It seems people just want to blame someone else for their screw ups or mishaps yet never take full responsibility for their actions.

I could have sued a big chain company once and had a very valid legal reason since it was their negligence I was hurt. I didn't want to be one of those people and everyone told me to sue the crap out of them but all I wanted was compensation for medical and lost wages. I did get both from them and I still shopped there afterwards. It was a mistake and accident and they truly happen, why get all legal over it?! I could have used the money but I don't believe in frivolous law suits.

This police officer sounds like a clumsy fool. Why not just admit she tripped on her own? Why sue someone else for her mistake. It's not his fault she didn't see it or tripped on it. I've tripped on many curbs and even hurt myself but I didn't sue the property owner for my clumsiness.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by bates
the police officer in question is over weight.

Fat police woman pics

it appears we can now be held to account if the police are too fat and clumsy to do their jobs properly.

worrying.

Personally I think cops should be required to stay in shape. The cops around here i could out run pregnant right now, it's sad. They look like slobs. They should look healthy and fit and not like they eat at a donut shop or mcdonald's all day. I mean the donut shop jokes had to come from somewhere.

Maybe if she was more physically fit she would have seen that curb and not have tripped. She is probably unhappy at her job and looking for an out. She will get a payout so either way she wins. I feel bad for the gas station owner she is suing. Nothing like calling for help and getting a law suit in return.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
The police are a disgrace getting.

Was at my local Asda supermarket earlier today and two officers turned up in a van and parked diagonally across 3 disabled bays. Seen them arrive and looking for a parking space and wasnt for any emergency.

Whats coming next, a fireman claiming compensation becuase they tripped over a stair or slipped on a childs toy becasue they couldnrt see for smoke.

Getting to the point of screaming from the rooftops at the sheer stupidity of it all.

This world is fooooked.

edit on 31-3-2013 by D8ncer because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:37 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Oh seems you have the same types of sue happy people over there as we do here.

That plus people who do insurance or compensation scams.

I have seen both sides of that fence, those deserving and those who milked it. I do believe you should be compensated for any loss that has happened due events out of your control this case here though is a private matter and personally I hope she is unsuccessful.

Health and safety has it's merits but it can evolve into stupidness at times and that is why...stupidness, people do dumb things and blame others. This is why compensation and suing is big business and I have seen my fair share of the system being abused here in the UK.

I found this bit of the source a bit strange too:

The claim alleges the petrol station was at fault for failing to ensure PC Jones was "reasonably safe", making no attempt to light the area or warn her about the step.
The letter also alleges the business failed to display any warning signs or carry out a risk assessment.

Would a risk assessment not be something all emergency services do when arriving at a call out scene? I always thought that was basic training... plus it was a suspected break in you'd think her perception would be atleast a bit raised when walking about.

poor policemanship?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Insurance companies exist for a reason and no business is allowed to run without insurance, the premium will not skyrocket for the business owner. Fortunately I've only had a handful of people threaten to sue me but I either show them surveillance of them either tripping out of their car or jumping onto the walkway from parking lot resulting in a slip. Most cement slips that I've seen are because of either dress shoes without traction or flip flops that will absolutely make you meet the floor.

Then I tell them to sue their shoes, their inability to properly plan an action to prevent injury, or nature.

Another thing to add, I don't like police or law enforcement, I've had one discharge a handgun at my head almost hitting me and my partner when I called them for help.

I honestly believe this officer is being denied workman's comp and is being forced to pursue this route to cover medical necessities....unless she gets a million dollar payout.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-3-2013 by Knives4eyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:33 PM
link   
People will often sue and win for tripping over garden hoses, etc on your property.....but the kerb? C'mon lady - that belongs to the city anyway. What a loser she must be in real life.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join