It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The future of music technology?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:01 AM
link   
In the 50's they brought electric guitars and rock n roll into the mainstream. In the late 70's, kraftwerk brought electronic music to the mainstream which then lead to techno, rave and dance music in the 80's and 90's. Now we've got computer music everywhere. Almost every piece of music is made on a computer at some stage. I'm into all kinds of genres made on a computer or some kind of technology. The things i've mentioned are innovative times in music to me. Where is music going? What is the future of music technology? I hear people grumble about, music is dead and they've done everything in music. I sometimes think that theres nothing left but I still hope there's unknown territory for music, there will be new genres and more innovating times in the future. What do you reckon music will be like in 25 years time. How do you think technology will shape the way music is made. I wish I could ask john peel this question but you've probably heard he's passed away, so I can't.

whats your opinions?

Cheers from CB. :

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
people are just skeptical im sure there will be new genres in the future like techtrometalpop or something lol

i have no idea how to answer this question
"How do you think technology will shape the way music is made"

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:09 AM
link   
I think exciting times are ahead. The music revolution that started with the advent of the synthesizer is only 40 years in the making, and it still has to mature, imho.

I have a synthesizer studio at home so I know some of the specifics firsthand. What I see happening is the development of more organic interfaces to the synthesis engines. There is some powerful software that sounds quite nice, but dragging the mouse is getting old really quick. Outborad controllers with knobs and all that help alleviate this a little...

But in the future there will be more "natural" interfaces in the spirit of Theremin perhaps.

I'm looking forward to more abstract concept music.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   
I remember seeing on tech t.v. last year or so about a new kind of synthezier where it puts out multiple rays of light. Music is then generated by waving your hands over them at different levels to create different tones and such. I'll try to find a link to it if I can...

Currently I'm a little worried at the trends of music lately. I feel nothing significant has come out for the past while and don't think much will. The record companies have a strong hold over consumers and what they feel they should here. Most creative and inovatitive artists that are out there are pasted up due to multiple reasons (either they won't bend to the labels will or they wouldn't be worth the time or effort in their eyes). Proof can be seen all around us, how popular has these britany spears types have become? What about American Idol machine? How many songs do you see coming out that are just remakes of the "classics?" Seriously, have you heard that remake of Imagine that just came out? Unbelievable...

Nothing is ever going to change as long as we keep buying this crap too. I hate to say it but downloading free music I feel is a good step into turning this all around, but that might be another topic...

just my two cents

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Coolbreeze How do you think technology will shape the way music is made. I wish I could ask john peel this question but you've probably heard he's passed away, so I can't.

whats your opinions?

I'm with Aelita, at least in part -

I'd expect to see more 'real' and innovative control surfaces around, fronting more 'realistic', or evolved synthesis engines. The interface can get pretty complex in some current electronic instruments (like my A5k sampler - thanks Yamaha!), so I'd expect to see some stuff happening there too.

I'd expect to see more powerful syntheses engines - either as 'ROMplayers' synthesising real instruments, or to provide more flexible routing to 'analogue' electronic synths.
Someone will also produce a new classic true analogue synth too, along traditional synth lines.

I'd not be surprised to see more in that middle way, between true hardware modules and PC's/Mac's - maybe stuff along the lines of the Roland variOS box - really a synth engine that runs specific software for the job in hand - kinda like your PC/MAC does, but less open to piracy etc, and with the relative simplicity, and robustness of hardware modules.

I'd also expect to see some traditional, err, analogue, instruments being built from specifically developed new materials lay-ups to get very precise tuning, so I'd not be surprised to see carbon/boron fibres, ceramics, kevlar and stuff find their way into stuff like cello's violins etc.

I'd hope that traditional materials still have their place, personally - as much fun as my synths are, I can't wait to start to learn to sit down and learn to play the cello.

As to what sort of sound people come out with ... I'll leave that to others.

As a final note, farewell to John Peel, I hope that whatever you believed in came for you at the end ...

[edit on 2-11-2004 by 0951]

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Tao_Tiger
I remember seeing on tech t.v. last year or so about a new kind of synthezier where it puts out multiple rays of light. Music is then generated by waving your hands over them at different levels to create different tones and such. I'll try to find a link to it if I can...

It's just a controller, not the synthesizer itself. To me personally, this looks more than a little gimmicky.

Currently I'm a little worried at the trends of music lately. I feel nothing significant has come out for the past while and don't think much will.

You are talking about commercial music, and I agree.

Nothing is ever going to change as long as we keep buying this crap too. I hate to say it but downloading free music I feel is a good step into turning this all around, but that might be another topic...

I hope you mean legal free music

For a long time the now defunct mp3.com was my main source of music, it was free and it was great. It was unbeleivable. Too bad they decided to Napsterize and lost the legal battle.

Independent artists are plenty and they produce fantastic music. So I do have hope after all

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by 0951
The interface can get pretty complex in some current electronic instruments (like my A5k sampler - thanks Yamaha!), so I'd expect to see some stuff happening there too.

A5k is kindergarten stuff

I own a A3k

Seriously, not bad interface at all.

Try SY99 or K5000

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Aelita

The interface can get pretty complex in some current electronic instruments (like my A5k sampler - thanks Yamaha!), so I'd expect to see some stuff happening there too.

A5k is kindergarten stuff

I own a A3k

Seriously, not bad interface at all.

Try SY99 or K5000

Ha ha - If by kindergarten stuff you mean that it has what appears to be a mostly random structure, and you end up looking in lots of different places for a way to something that should be much more simple than it seems to end up being - then I'd agree entirely -

(Actually, I'd kinda got the impression that A3=good interface, A5=not so good interface - I probably ought to just spend more time with it ...).

Being much more of a rack man - I've not used either of the keyboards you mention, but I'm absolutely happy to take your word for what you say about them - I'm used to using Roland and Novation rack stuff, and that seems to make much more sense ... to me at least !

Ah, the endless joy of many happy years spent getting to really know synth interfaces ...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 04:10 PM
link   

Try SY99 or K5000

Being much more of a rack man - I've not used either of the keyboards you mention, but I'm absolutely happy to take your word for what you say about them - I'm used to using Roland and Novation rack stuff, and that seems to make much more sense ... to me at least !

There is TG77 which is a rack version of SY77 (smaller version of SY99), and there is always K5000R, which is a rack of the famous Kawai K5000S, which I wholeheartedly recommend. The latter makes on of the best controllers by itself, in some people's opinion...

As to A3k... At some point I was super proficient with it and was able to program a sound in a few seconds... Now I'm out of practice. By the way I used SCSI dump to load the actual samples...

Check the TG77, A3k and K5000 in my tracks (under artist "Buddhasystem") on www.electromancer.com

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:40 PM
link   
Well for starters I can see eventually the record companies are going to have no other choice but to realise that mp3 is here to stay and start embracing it instead of fighting it. Then the ogg format will probably become alot more popular as people realise the limitations of mp3 as far as audio quality & surround sound goes.

As for new genres etc. I don't think I've heard any truly original music for a long long time. Nowadays it's all instant-pop band, just add water (or a tv series
) nonsense, flygirls & bboys (or whatever the current term is) talking about drugs & hoes... and that's about it

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
As for new genres etc. I don't think I've heard any truly original music for a long long time. Nowadays it's all instant-pop band, just add water (or a tv series
) nonsense, flygirls & bboys (or whatever the current term is) talking about drugs & hoes... and that's about it

Well I agree the original music isn't easily accessible. This doesn't mean it doesn't exist. The R.I.P. www.mp3.com was on excellent source of it, and there is IUMA, Electromancer etc. All independents. So with a little research, you can find a few real gems...

Look for "Japanese Seisure Robots" -- there is a band under that name. Very good stuff.

From more "traditional"... Kim Koshka may be regarded as original... More obscure synthesists include "Orbital Decay".

So it's out there

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:02 PM
link   
as far as new genra goes i belive that music is always evolving, you really cant just go by popular music. some where along the developement there is always something that sparks a change in music that leads to a new genra or something differen

good music is still out there, its just a matter of looking past all of the pop and replayed stuff on tv/radio. whenever i get tired of listening to the same stuf i just go to cdnow and try to find some new music. you go to the cd of a band you like and then at the bottom it gives you links to pages created, by memeber, thatll give you a list of music like it or of their favorite music and other things. sometimes its really very helpful to do in search of new bands although it can be frustrating.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 07:49 PM
link   
Sorry I should have been more specific. When I refer to music I'm talking about the mainstream music you see on tv, hear on the radio etc etc
I agree the "underground" music scene is still thriving, but that is not what the general populate see or hear, although sometimes an "underground" group / person will make it into mainstream music

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 08:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by LordGoofus
Sorry I should have been more specific. When I refer to music I'm talking about the mainstream music you see on tv, hear on the radio etc etc
I agree the "underground" music scene is still thriving, but that is not what the general populate see or hear, although sometimes an "underground" group / person will make it into mainstream music

yup, and it frustrates me so much b/c there is so much beter music that no one even knows about and their like wtf when im talking about a band that doesnt get play on mtv or the radio

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:26 AM
link   
The thing with underground music is there is alot of obscure stuff that people don't really understand and thats why it stays underground. But the underground is also the place and breeding ground where good new genres sprout up and if people really like it, it grows into a proper genre and then hits mainstream and gets commercialized and then every tom dick and harrys heard it, then people get bored with it and then it dies out. Thats what happened to dance/rave music in my time in the early 90's. If I had my way we wouldn't have simon cowell style music, I think commercializing music in that way is just boom and then bust for music. People want proper raw fresh real music that people will love and remember for years to come. Just like the people do from the 50's,60's and 70's.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   
That Electromancer site is quality. If you like your trance then check out 'Youth of asia'. They are the future of trance I reckon.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 01:48 PM
link   
As far as future music styles and fashions go, new ones only emerge to the masses when record companies believe they can make money. Nirvana became popular and off the back of that you get literally hundreds of supposed 'grunge' bands being signed by record companies and it becomes the latest fad.

As far as technology goes, here's a few suggestions I have (assuming they don't already exist!)....

1....Voice synthesis. ie..YOU sing into the microphone and you get a synthesised Elvis (or whoever) providing your vocals.

2....MP3 to be replaced with a better compression system allowing a song to take up less memory.

3....A home sound system similar to 'surround sound' whereby all instuments are separated to an individual output speaker. This will allow the listener to mix their favourite band to suit them.

4....Better and realistic analogue reproduction using digital recording. ProTools and others just still sound digital, no matter how hard you try to make them not.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma
1....Voice synthesis. ie..YOU sing into the microphone and you get a synthesised Elvis (or whoever) providing your vocals.

That's already in place. From pitch shifters to vocodes, you can do quite a bit.

2....MP3 to be replaced with a better compression system allowing a song to take up less memory.

As memory steadily falls in price, people tend to use less compression in MP3 and get better quality, already.

3....A home sound system similar to 'surround sound' whereby all instuments are separated to an individual output speaker. This will allow the listener to mix their favourite band to suit them.

What if you have a full orchestra? Does it mean dosens of speakers?
In addition, a typical listener doesn't know about mixing, which is a rather advanced skill. So I don't think that's
needed at all.

4....Better and realistic analogue reproduction using digital recording. ProTools and others just still sound digital, no matter how hard you try to make them not.

I respectfully disagree. 24 bits at 96k is really, really clean. If you mean the "analog character", that in fact comes from imperfection in the analog technology, rather than special cleanliness. And that can be modeled in digital domain if needed. I model tape all the time when I mix

So, we got all the bases covered.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 03:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by Irma

That's already in place. From pitch shifters to vocodes, you can do quite a bit.

Although both pitch shifting and vocoders do manipulate the vocalist/instrument, I was on about a system whereby your vocal is completely replaced (not effected) by the new vocal. Similar to using your control keyboard to give you a realistic harp/cello sound. Don't know if I've explained this correctly as I am an analogue user myself.

posted on Nov, 3 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Well if you look at trends in the music industry, you will notice that different types of music are being blended to form hybrids. This is happening across the board.

In rap for instance, you are finding a lot of pop influence along with the oh so trendy "dirty south" sound.

Rock has morphed into a mix of pop punk, emo, emo-core and some lasting bits of grunge. Also, you may notice there is actually a lot of country influence.

In fact, you can already start to see a synthasized sound coming through on drums and guitar for a lot of transitions.

I think as you give it time and it becomes more available and easy to use you will eventually see all music kind of merge together.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join