It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

KKK plans rally in Memphis Saturday to celebrate white peoples' rights

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:19 PM
link   

MEMPHIS, TN - There is a lot to be angry about if you're in the Ku Klux Klan.

As local leader of the Loyal White Knights, Edward the Exalted Cyclops organized a barbecue last month to make plans for Saturday's demonstration to show that white people still have rights.

Okay Memphis members... You're slipping!
tsk tsk... I searched high and low. I even did a string search on the firehose page. Not a KKK, Klan or Klu in sight. Yet we have the honest to God KLAN on the street in Memphis today, complete with their pointy white hats on their pointy little heads, out spreading the message that perhaps America hasn't progressed QUITE as far as we'd like to think we have.

Barker refers to the rally as a "white unity event," and a protest of the council's attempt "to erase white people out of the history books."

To Barker and Edward, the Klan's agenda is pretty simple: Send the immigrants back where they came from, silence the homosexuals and the communists (known as liberals today), promote sobriety and abstinence, end abortion, and discourage the mingling of races in a way "God never intended."

Indeed.... Some segments of society do have their right to free speech. The Klan established that in Skokie, Illinois with the Supreme Court decision defending even their right to parade. However, society can ask the perfectly valid question of why we still have elements like this, so numerous as to form a party to parade with.

Barker claims that the Klan' rightful reputation should include service to the community. Much of the violence blamed on the KKK was the work of those who claimed they were in the Klan but weren't recognized by the organization, he says.
Source

I believe I've heard that line of logic used to excuse things in the recent past by anoth....err.. Nvm. In the interest of ATS harmony, I shall catch myself there.

Seriously though ... The Klan, all decked out and set to ...do whatever it is they do in their bed sheets? In modern day Memphis?

I'm just spitballing here but in my very strong belief, the only way to eliminate racism is by education. Nothing else takes and holds. Nothing else lasts. Judging by this? P.C. to the point of overflowing out the doors isn't an effective approach. We need to try something else for that education side. I really sigh when I think MY Son might see this thing in his world as an adult as well. Surely by then, education will have prevailed. (I'll bet they said that in the 60's and again in the 70's too though)

(Anyone else notice how similar the language used by the Klan is to the language used out of the Westboro kooks?)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:25 PM
link   
@ "in a way "God never intended."

Like, if there was a god, it'd have a hot line explaining its intentions to these backward, xenophobic clowns.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:26 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:27 PM
link   
Here are a few tweets from one reporter following it...

Police taking more pictures than the media is allowed to.
Police have at least 5 photographers in the Klan's protest

Klan members talking about their history and Farrakhan.
Some Klan members wearing red and black robes.

We are across the street from courthouse and will not be allowed to get close to Klan. Spectators are even further away...2 blocks.

LooKs like About 50-75 Klansman in sheets with flags.
They are yelling...but no one can understand them
Source

Sounds like quite a surreal scene down there. These are in chronological order with top being the latest from the selections I shared.

2013....Memphis...and this? :shk: Some days I feel like we've come a LOONG way ..and it's a point of some pride as a citizen. Other days? Well, I wonder if we'd know the difference between footage now and footage from the 50's or 60's ..if we filmed today in the same period quality B&W? Really? If you avoided period items like cars or street lights for obvious design differences to date the scene......sometimes, it seems little has changed. (sigh)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Wrabbit2000

Well, it is their right. The New Black Panthers are just as, if not more, racist than the Klan and theyll even march around with rifles but nobody gives them a second though.

Whens the last time Klan members stood in front of polling stations and intimidated voters? Im sure they have at some point but the last time was probably a few decades ago.
edit on 30-3-2013 by TriForce because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Not the brightest bulbs in the chandelier to start with. BBQ(open flames) and robes? Might actually enrich the gene pool now that I think about it.
Sorry, too easy to poke at retards. White rights? Pfft. I'm white. Why do I need this? I don't. I'd rather watch Spongbob reruns. And I didn't watch them the first time around.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   
reply to post by TriForce

Yes, it absolutely is their protected right. Just as it's my right to sincerely hope we educate ourselves beyond this level of almost proud ignorance. I can agree with the 1st amendment protections and still hate everything they stand for. Indeed. I surely do. (Yup.. I said hate.)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:31 PM
link   

Sadly, it's just a matter of waiting for people to die. It's better now than it used to be. Why? Because the people who sucked even worse are now dead.

I'm an optimist. I think our society is headed for a golden age and things like this will be such a foreign concept that it won't even be taken seriously. Maybe hipsters will take up racism just to be ironic.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by intrepid

Why do I need this? I don't. I'd rather watch Spongbob reruns. And I didn't watch them the first time around

I love spongeboob, I watch it every morning while getting ready for work

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:35 PM
link   

So they are doing another BBQ?

This is still America, as long as their permits were done correctly who cares?

No different than those Mexican or gay pride marches.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:39 PM
link   

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Frankly Im ok with it (Puerto Rican here), as long as its not in my face, or interrupting Spongbebob (sorry had too) then go have your BBQ, eventually no one will show up.

The only way for me to show my kids that this is real, and that there are people out there that want to cause harm is by example, its one thing for me to say it, and another for them to see it. This beats schooling and text books any day.

This shows them that yes you have freedom of speech and with with a different mindset there are so many better things to have an outside BBQ for.

Peace, NRE.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Here is an additional link to the twitter picture sheet of the reporter covering and sending out information about it. I guess they did have a BBQ planned. Well.. Boo Hoo... Even mother nature hates ignorance.

What's that saying? 'Rain Rain go away, come again another day'. Well, I suppose this was as fine an 'other day' as any. Too bad it didn't cloud burst on them. Monsoons.. Floods.. Oh.. wait, it is Memphis huh? Okay, I'd settle for lightning. The pointiest hat gets the zap.

Photos of the Klan in Memphis

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:47 PM
link   

Send the immigrants back where they came from?
Is this there way of getting free tickets back to England?
Umm, do I want to know why they call him a Cyclops, are is that not p.c.?
And whites don't need rights we're privileged by our color.

Silly racist

edit on 30-3-2013 by terriblyvexed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChuckNasty

So they are doing another BBQ?

This is still America, as long as their permits were done correctly who cares?

No different than those Mexican or gay pride marches.

Um....maybe a little different ideology.
The ideas behind Gay rights and Mexican pride
don't quite equate to the KKK's modus operandi.
But whatever, they have that right.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoRegretsEver
Frankly Im ok with it (Puerto Rican here), as long as its not in my face, or interrupting Spongbebob (sorry had too) then go have your BBQ, eventually no one will show up.

The only way for me to show my kids that this is real, and that there are people out there that want to cause harm is by example, its one thing for me to say it, and another for them to see it. This beats schooling and text books any day.

This shows them that yes you have freedom of speech and with with a different mindset there are so many better things to have an outside BBQ for.

Peace, NRE.

100% agree.

Part Boricuas Also.......

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:54 PM
link   
Is this guy serious?

Edward the Exalted Cyclops

He's the leader of the local chapter. C'mon they couldn't think of a better title?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 03:56 PM
link   
In a free society it has been showed that some take advantage of that freedom to be as stupid and narrow-minded and as bigoted as they can be.

Let them enjoy that freedom.

Let us enjoy the freedom to ignore them.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by beezzer
In a free society it has been showed that some take advantage of that freedom to be as stupid and narrow-minded and as bigoted as they can be.

Let them enjoy that freedom.

Let us enjoy the freedom to ignore them.

AMEN Beezer.
Well said .This bears repeating,
even just after being read haha!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:05 PM
link   
reply to post by NoRegretsEver

I think what makes this location and protest particularly offensive is just that, location. It's something like the Die Hard sequal where McClane is sent to lower harlem with a sandwich board covered in the worst racial slurs as a demand of a mad bomber in the movie. It was funny in the movie because it's so absurdly over the top for 'Could they have chosen a WORSE place to possibly do that and expect to survive 5 minutes?'

In this case? Memphis is to some in the Black community as important a place as it is to Elvis fans although for far more somber and meaningful reasons. Memphis is where Martin Luther King, Jr. was shot and killed by a white shooter.

I'm honestly thinking here...and for symbolism ... Well, they could have chosen Little Rock High School, or Selma Alabama, I guess. Maybe Birmingham? I'm literally hard pressed to come up with a more meaningful place they could have chosen for all the wrong reasons.

Still.. They do have the right. Cops were out in force as the pics show, to protect them. No one is unclear on that point I hope. The cops weren't there to protect anyone FROM them...but to keep every last one of them from being killed right there on the street. Memphis isn't a quiet, peaceful little town on the best of days......as someone who has gotten lost in that town can attest to.

edit on 30-3-2013 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join