It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Has anyone elses diet changed since the horsemeat scandal?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
CX

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:10 PM
link   
I never thought i'd be the one asking this.

I'm the kind of guy who loves most meats, as long as it's well done and not fatty, anything goes usually.

However since they've been finding horse meat in meals here in the UK (and other countries now), it's put me off a lot of meat products. Now i find that stupid because horse is supposed to be a lot healthier for you than other meats. I think it's the whole deception thing.

I watched a programme on UK telly the other night called "Horse meat Banquest", A chef cooked up horse in different ways and got people to try it. Hardly any did, although it wasn't the best selection of people. During the programme they went into all aspects of the scandal, and looked at take-away meals that contained meat too.

There were a few dubious outcomes from the takeaways, one particular Indian curry, they couldn't even identify the meat in it. Yes thats right, it wasn't horse, beef, pork, chicken, none of the usual suspects. What does that leave? Cat, dog...human?

My girlfriend said i'm sure they'd have picked human meat up when they checked it in the lab, but the reason they never picked up the horse DNA before was because they didn't check for it.

Anyway, half joking aside, the human tissue is my bet for the future, far too many people going missing and not enough bodies being found for my liking.

Since this whole thing came to light, i have not been able to eat mince of any kind. Even if it's from the local butchers and i know where it came from. Ready meals have gone too. Tinned meats, they've gone. I'm pretty much eating whole chickens, as i can see they aren't anything they shouldn't be, and maybe the odd fish.

I'd say i'm looking at the labels more. So are the kids, which is obviously a good thing. I haven't gone total veggie yet, but it's getting that way lol.

Is anyone else bothered by this, or are you still eating any old crap from the supermarket. I've even gone off my weekly doner kebab after seeing how some places get the meat, or what is loosely described as meat.

CX.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:17 PM
link   
Millions of people around the world would be glad of a horsemeat lasagna, I think we are being to screamish about it all.
I love horsemeat, heck If someone gave me a deep fried baby Panda I would no doubt enjoy that
So nope It hasn't changed how I eat at all.
The only thing that has bothered me is they have not labelled it to tell us what is really in it and was the horse meat OK for human consumption.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74
Millions of people around the world would be glad of a horsemeat lasagna, I think we are being to screamish about it all.

This is true! Many millions of starving people out there would love some real food to eat.

My opinion... while not from the UK, I do know if that happened in the US, I would freak. Call me unappreciative or whatever you like. I've always been super picky about my food. I've never even had lamb chops... Chicken and beef is about as exciting as it gets in my house. And we eat beef maybe once a month. I would go completely vegetarian if I had more self control. Our farming industry is like something from a horror film. But I can not resist a giant cheese burger or steak sometimes.
So you better believe that if that happened here, I may stop eating meat from restaurants for good.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:29 PM
link   
My diet changed initially, I started eating nothing but radish to try and avoid all the dodgy meat dealings when I first heard.

Turned out I was eating horseradish though!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
mine has'nt changed at all
i wouldnt imagine many people changing their diets because of it
we are natural meat eaters after all
if it had of been dogmeat or cat then it might be a different story

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

What I would worry over is all the millions of human bodies that may be added to the meat imported from China and else where. They sold dirty old cardboard in their noodles to us and added lead to the kids toys.

Even in the USA there have been many cases of dead meant to be cremated and the bodies were sold...when found out it was claimed they went to medical schools.

Talking pure 100% profit I say never say never!

Happy vegetarian!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I'm not a big fan of meat. Not vegetarian, but almost.

link   

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by CX

What I would worry over is all the millions of human bodies that may be added to the meat imported from China and else where.

What?!

link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Like Soylent Green?

Got any links that Human bodies have been sold as other meat or is this just Veggie Propaganda?

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Soylent green is people?!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:56 PM
link   
If someone handed me a burger and said it's horse meat I would eat it no problem. None.

Like everyone else is suggesting, it's eating people we need to be concerned about.

I'm omnivorous with no shame in my game.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dispo

Soylent green is people?!

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by CX

there are millions of cases of missed parts easy to explain away as industrial accidents when found. But really, if someobne has an accident they would stop the belts and check the product.

Would someone do it?

DISTURBING: China fills capsules with human baby flesh Tuesday, May 8, 2012 at 1:14 PM PDT

www.glennbeck.com...

My mother found a finger nail in her food while she was eating at a restaurant. can she do anything about it ? Asked about 3 years ago - Yakima, WA Flag Personal Injury the worst part was that she was chewing on the nail before she spit it out.

www.avvo.com...

I Bought from burger king A1 stake burger, took few bite then felt hard object in my mouth, when i spit it out, it was human Nail

5-Month-Old Chokes on Fingernail -- Found in His Baby Food!

thestir.cafemom.com...

A customer really did find part of a worker’s finger in a pint of frozen chocolate custard purchased at a shop in North Carolina.

www.nbcnews.com...-rFA

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:07 PM
link   

Apart from the Chinese baby thing every single one of the other examples can be explained by bad working practices.
You have failed to convince me that Human bodies are entering the food chain.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by swan001

Originally posted by Char-Lee
reply to post by CX

What I would worry over is all the millions of human bodies that may be added to the meat imported from China and else where.

What?!

yeah think processed food with meat chunks.

Profit profit profit!

Who is checking? Inspecting imports?

80% of U.S. Ports Already Foreign-Owned

archive.newsmax.com...
edit on 30-3-2013 by Char-Lee because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by boymonkey74

Apart from the Chinese baby thing every single one of the other examples can be explained by bad working practices.
You have failed to convince me that Human bodies are entering the food chain.

OK but is it because you think they care?

After the meat slurry has been produced, it is sometimes treated with ammonium hydroxide to remove excess bacteria. Ammonium hydroxide is also used as a household cleaner and in fertilizers. Since the resultant meat-bone-muscle-tendon-ammonium-hydroxide goop doesn’t taste much like meat, artificial flavors are added to finish the whole thing off. Mechanically separated meat is to blame for a number of processed meat products; think hot dogs, salami, bologna, burgers and many a chicken nugget. Fast-food restaurants are known for employing pink slime, although recently McDonald’s made clear that it no longer relies upon it in its burgers.

www.mnn.com...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

Still doesn't prove your Veggie propaganda that Human Meat is entering the food chain on purpose.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:20 PM
link   

If I were a meat eater (and not in the city) i would buy beef and chicken from local farmers only.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:21 PM
link   
Hungry hogs eat Oregon farmer in grisly scene

I found this as I was eating a egg and ham sandwich. It takes a lot to turn my stomach after having Anatomy II and then lunch afterwards back in high school.

We would dissect cow hearts, clean up, and then go eat hamburgers.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 02:22 PM
link   

I buy mine from a Farm Shop, cheaper and nicer.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join