It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

More People Have Access to Cell Phones Than Toilets, U.N. Study Shows

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:34 PM
link   
newsfeed.time.com...

Out of the world’s estimated 7 billion people, 6 billion have access to mobile phones. Far fewer — only 4.5 billion people — have access to working toilets. Of the 2.5 billion who don’t have proper sanitation, 1.1 billion defecate in the open, according to the study.

edit on 30-3-2013 by Cabin because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:38 PM
link   
I'd rather have a mobile than a toilet to be honest.

Having a toilet only benefits me in a leisure sense. Having a mobile keeps me safe and allows me to work.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cabin
newsfeed.time.com...

Out of the world’s estimated 7 billion people, 6 billion have access to mobile phones. Far fewer — only 4.5 billion people — have access to working toilets. Of the 2.5 billion who don’t have proper sanitation, 1.1 billion defecate in the open, according to the study.

Corporations are building their image and expanding their profits on any possible way, although no one often cares about the real issues.

For me personally, a fact like that seems simply wrong...

I don't believe this, there is most definitely a walmart within every 50 square miles of the entire world, I can't believe people still can't find access to a working toilet.

edit on 3/30/2013 by eXia7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Cabin

I'm having difficulty understanding your position (but as you'll find out, I'm the most easily confused member around). May I repost your link with an additional piece from the same article?

According to Yahoo, India alone is responsible for 60% of the global population lacking access to basic sanitation. About half of its 1.2 billion residents are mobile subscribers, but only 366 million people (about one-third of its population) have access to toilets, noted a 2010 U.N. report.
I have two problems. One, the numbers don't seem to work.

Para. #1 says there are 2.5 billion who don't have access to working toilets. Para. #2 says 834 million Indians don't have access to toilets (1.2 billion minus 366 million). Para.#2 also says that Indians lacking toilet access constitute 60% of the world. That means that 834 million is 60% of 2.5 billion. That's not even close. I'd be suspicious of the numbers.

My second difficulty concerns your reaction to the news.

How are you connecting the desire of the individual to own a mobile phone, the inability of governments to provide sanitation, and profit-minded corporations? Are you suggesting that cell phone providers are preventing governments from obtaining toilets?

See, I told you I didn't understand.

new topics

top topics

join