It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manhattan: "The machines are broken, but we'll vote for you..."

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also, someone who identified himself as a polling official forced her to remove her Kerry/Edwards button before entering the polling place to vote (what if she had on a t-shirt?).

The display of candidate names, likenesses, or political party symbols within the polling area is electioneering.

vote.nyc.ny.us
What Is Electioneering?
Electioneering is prohibited within 100 feet of the polling site entrance. Electioneering includes:

Distributing, wearing, or carrying political literature, posters, banners, or buttons.

Soliciting votes.

If you see or are made aware of anyone electioneering, advise Police Officer and ask him/her to stop the person.

www.vote.nyc.ny.us...

The request was not only reasonable, it is the law.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:46 AM
link   
They've had four years to make sure this equipment is functional and more than enough time to test and if needed make repairs before today.

There is no way for them to explain this... and in Manhattan??

Welcome to to the #@^%#$*&$ American Election.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Too bad my bum!@#$ polling places werent up on the law. Right outside the doors were dozens of sings for both Bush and Kerry, so I kind of felt conspicuous waiting for my friend to finish up since I was wearing a Vote Badnarik shirt :X

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:03 PM
link   
As someone who votes in Manhattan I must add that this does happen sometimes for one reason only: ancient machines. These machines are REALLY old, I don't know how old, only that they're quite a bit older than I am and I remember the same nasty grey "booths" being set up in my lobby since I was too young to know what they meant. It comes as no surprise that some of them are reaching their end-of-life.

Regardless of the valid points we have about how people should be prepared for such things, the fact is that we're not. However, this request of tell us and we'll do it later is absolutely not going to work and no one should ever participate in it. I consider my right to vote to be very important and I would not pass it along like a hall pass to a buddy. I have the right to vote and I will be the one voting. My concern now is that no one will address this until later on and then all the votes of Precinct 160 will be invalidated.

As for the Mil. Black Voter group? Holy crap talk about overboard. I've gotten parking tickets in the past and I used to litter sometimes, will they send me home and take my children away if I try to vote? Alrighty...

Campaign literature and paraphenalia are banned from the actual voting places in NYC as well. Clothing is something I'm not familiar with in the campaign sense. Lots of people have been wearing buttons and hats etc for months now, are they walking banners or expressing their own personal view. Hard to say, I'm no lawyer. Obviously someone holding a Bush or Kerry sign would have to do his/her campaigning outside the voting area but clothes... I just don't know...

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 12:10 PM
link   
I thought somethign liek this would happen. all of the electronic voting machines going down isn't a good sign.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   
That Mil. Black voting sign has to be a joke. There are typos spready all over that sign and it is just too silly to be taken serious. Or at least I hope so.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:22 PM
link   
Elections are going to be something to talk about for quite sometimes with all the malfunction and problems.

So far has been smooth in my neck of the woods.
Actually we have some incidents of people camping all night to be the first in line.

By the way I dont know what to trust the machine or the paper ballots, you know one can be erase the other want can get lost in the road.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 01:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also, someone who identified himself as a polling official forced her to remove her Kerry/Edwards button before entering the polling place to vote (what if she had on a t-shirt?).

Wonder how they will react to my "Not My President" T-shirt. It has a picture of W. and says Not my President next to it.

I'll have a jacket on so...I guess we'll see what happens.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm surprised that we havn't seen another east coast black out today like we did in August a few years back.

Did I hear somebody say this evening?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:23 PM
link   
Are you saying you find election politics to be some sort of motive for the blackout of 8/03? I dunno, I'm finding that one a little hard to buy, sorry.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:28 PM
link   
in minneapolis..at the precinct in vote in...the machine said 'possible sensor error'..and would not accept ballots...the official opened a slot in the machine and we were instructed to put the ballots in and when the machine was fixed..they would feed them in.........i noticed that the machine has a cell phone antena attached to it....never saw that in the other elections i voted in.....hmmmmmmmmmmm

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
Are you saying you find election politics to be some sort of motive for the blackout of 8/03? I dunno, I'm finding that one a little hard to buy, sorry.

C'mon, everyone knows that was Canada's fault.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 03:34 PM
link   
They are giving the Spanish here a problem MOST are voting Libertarian because of our stance on work visas. They didnt send me my card but did my wife we voted anyway but to those who dont know better arent voting. I think it might be an honest mistake but who knows?

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join