It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Manhattan: "The machines are broken, but we'll vote for you..."

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:15 AM
link   
Right now in midtown Manhattan, two people returned to the office attempting to vote, only to encounter "broken machines" at their precinct (2 different ones), where polling workers urged the voters to "just write down your vote, and we'll vote for you when the machines are fixed". Amazing. Needless to say, they left and didn't vote.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:21 AM
link   
Confirmed reports of this in other states too.

Election workers are telling voters to vote "in pencil" on unmarked paper ballots.

Take the numbers down from my ATSNN post and get your coworkers to call and report this.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
You've got to be kidding??

We'll vote for you?... WTF?

Is this legal... Trusting others to make your votes for you?

I'd rather have them tell me to come back later or give directions to another polling station.

This stinks ... something is up here... Are there any more reports like this from NYC?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Have your coworkers call the FBI ASAP. Whomever told your coworkers to do this needs to be hanged.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Wow....

So far in NW Ohio, nothing major to report... talking with my co-workers, all have had no problems getting in and using the machines... thank goodness...

Skeptic, are "they" saying when and if the machines will be fixed ?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Yay PAPER!

Hope this gets shut-down quick.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
Has someone reported this to the news stations?

It might be true (these things DO go down) and the workers might sincerely want to cast the vote honestly, but that's NOT the correct procedure.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
This is worrisome. The people who are offering to vote for these people COULD be very honest people and they might actually follow through and vote exactly as people as asking them to, however, I would never take that chance.

I don't care how much more 'convenient' these damn machines seem to be, we need to go back to pencil and paper. And at the very least, in all polling places where there are machines in use there should be ballots that are paper for those who are either machine challenged or those that prefer to leave a paper trail.

To count on machines and have no back up in case or power outage or machines being down is irresponsible and naive.

Jemison

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Old habits die hard,

It's sad because i believe these kinds of tactics/habits of workers at polling stations have been going on for years!

Only now have we decided to wake up from our slumber (2000 election) and demanded a fair vote.

Carpe Diem!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
Get that grandstanding tub of goo over there with a camera pronto!

Where's the real press? This is just the kind of real story that needs to be exposed...

If it's true?

Or are we to be besieged with bipartisan accounts of disenfranchisement and injustices? We have all day, will the machines be fixed when the cameras get there, only to have new reports of misconduct break out elsewhere?

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:33 AM
link   
What if this happens at say 10 polling stations in every city in the USA and all involved have the same agenda... With this election predicted to be as close as it is... Could this have the potential to change the outcome of the election???

hmmm

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Why do they not have any reduncancy whatsoever?

They need paper backups considering we are trying to get millions of votes in one business day.

I would report it to anyone who will listen. KEEP PEOPLE ACCOUNTABLE.

Fortunately in Virginia (at least at my polling place) we had nothing BUT paper ballots and everyone had their IDs checked.

Way to go Fairfax!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Wow this is crazy. "jus write down who you're voting for and we'll vote for you" crazy!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by GrndLkNatv
Have your coworkers call the FBI ASAP. Whomever told your coworkers to do this needs to be hanged.

This is not a matter for the FBI, that's a waste of their already-stretched resources. If you want quick resolution call the Dem party in that town, state you're one of them, and complain. Better yet, get a female minority to make the call.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me
Get that grandstanding tub of goo over there with a camera pronto!

Where's the real press? This is just the kind of real story that needs to be exposed...

If it's true?

Or are we to be besieged with bipartisan accounts of disenfranchisement and injustices? We have all day, will the machines be fixed when the cameras get there, only to have new reports of misconduct break out elsewhere?

That would be more convincing if you weren't covered in the white power thrown all over the southern New Jersey precint shutting down voting.

But I kind of see your point. Disenfranchisement is sorta funny.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:26 AM
link   
UPDATE At Precinct 160 in New York City, official paper ballots finally arrived about 2 hours after machine failure (according to our returning coworker). The actual ballot has no place to fill in her name/etc. Also, someone who identified himself as a polling official forced her to remove her Kerry/Edwards button before entering the polling place to vote (what if she had on a t-shirt?). She said that chaos was beginning at the precinct, with police arriving in force. No more is known, as she was leaving as the police arrived. The election workers allowed her to take the paper ballot (with no areas to fill in name/etc.) offsite to fill in later, and return today to hand in through a special line.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also, someone who identified himself as a polling official forced her to remove her Kerry/Edwards button before entering the polling place to vote (what if she had on a t-shirt?).

She would have to come back or put on a jacket. California has a law that forbids campaigning at the place of polling. I grant you a button may be a bit much, but it is a form of campaigning and a time honored on at that.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:32 AM
link   
2 of 3 voting machines went down with 'problems' here in a local precinct, people waited in line for four hours. Have also heard numerous reports of machines going down. That to me stink of fishyiness, I have had my computer for four years adn as much crap as I have on it, it's never 'went down'.

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by FredT

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Also, someone who identified himself as a polling official forced her to remove her Kerry/Edwards button before entering the polling place to vote (what if she had on a t-shirt?).

She would have to come back or put on a jacket. California has a law that forbids campaigning at the place of polling. I grant you a button may be a bit much, but it is a form of campaigning and a time honored on at that.

Also, anyone entering the voting area WITH campaign literataure was asked to put it out of sight (purse or pocket) or throw it out.
PET PEEVE: people outside the polling places handing out their propaganda...why is this allowed? What a waste!!!!!!

posted on Nov, 2 2004 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by DontTreadOnMe

Also, anyone entering the voting area WITH campaign literataure was asked to put it out of sight (purse or pocket) or throw it out.
PET PEEVE: people outside the polling places handing out their propaganda...why is this allowed? What a waste!!!!!!

Propaganda? Tell me about it, especially if you're voting while black!

Check it out for yourself

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join