It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

MIT Media Lab Nine Principles for the New World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:48 AM
link   
Social Skeptics are losing their battle to maintain their 1880's imperial industrial revolution slave-worker stranglehold on the social zeitgeist. This is why SSkeptics are getting increasingly angry and more dogged in the enforcement of their religion on the social mind. There are a number of reasons for this change, including internet entities just like ATS; reasons which I will not delve into further here.

Chief among these reasons however, is a growing change in the mindset of new academics, incorporating sound principles which brilliant applied technologists are learning in the real business world. A mindset which, in this new world, does not hold key old ideas sacrosanct - a new mindset developed by those who have seen enough to know that there is more plurality to this world, than the old imperial guard will allow themselves to ever admit. A generation which knows, to 'cut the deck' even when dealing with powers-that-be which tender the appearance of the highest levels of authority, recitation or morality. These robes are often a cover for weakness and cheating.

Max Planck is known to have said "A scientific truth does not triumph by convincing its opponents and making them see the light, but rather because its opponents eventually die and a new generation grows up that is familiar with it.

The new generation will undoubtedly be tomorrow's dogmatists; but for now, they are framing the New World. I for one welcome it.

Joi Ito, Director of the MIT Media Lab has proposed Nine Principles key to operating in this New World. I applaud these greatly (– MIT Media Lab, Nine Principles for Making Progress in Today’s World; www.media.mit.edu...)

There are nine or so principles to work in a world like this:

1. Resilience instead of strength, which means you want to yield and allow failure and you bounce back instead of trying to resist failure.

2. You pull instead of push. That means you pull the resources from the network as you need them, as opposed to centrally stocking them and controlling them.

3. You want to take risk instead of focusing on safety.

4. You want to focus on the system instead of objects.

5. You want to have good compasses not maps.

6. You want to work on practice instead of theory. Because sometimes you don’t know why it works, but what is important is that it is working, not that you have some theory around it.

7. It is disobedience instead of compliance. You don’t get a Nobel Prize for doing what you are told. Too much of school is about obedience, we should really be celebrating disobedience.

8. It’s the crowd instead of experts.

9. It’s a focus on learning instead of education.

Well Done Joi Ito!

edit on 30-3-2013 by TheEthicalSkeptic because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:38 AM
link   
The government is afraid the unity of people will become a government of their own, thus making the government we do have now lose their position. There would be no war anymore? tralalalalalalalaaa

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Angle

Yes, they know that the old religions are being brought continually into question, and eventually we will reject them. So a new one has to be crafted which imbues more science, yet still foists a religious binding, which prompts the service of men into the failing Empire.

The problem is that the religions are not being brought into question by science, they are being brought into question by the observation of the masses. People are witnessing things which HIGHLY challenge our paradigms of existence on this planet. And not just a few people on this planet either. Enormous numbers of people are raising their hands and saying "Excuse me, I have a problem with this thing I saw."

So a religion must be crafted which denies these observations access to science. One which both denies the old failing religions because that is inevitable, yet obscures our view still so that control can be maintained. So this new religion, is one of "logic" and "critical thinking" and "skepticism" - all good things in the ontological sense, but things which, like a gun, can be used to accomplish malicious goals.

The overall goal has not changed, and we must always be cognizant of this, only the religion they serve is changing. The tactics, methods, arguments, hierarchy of sycophants, protocols, penalties, channels of push marketing, policing, public beheadings, qualification for priesthood, domination of universities, promulgation of thought, manipulation of the course of events, domination of the social discourse, definition of what is acceptable. - ALL these things - and the ensuing goals of control - will remain exactly the same.

Only the religion they serve will change. Like an army, the politics behind them changes and the reason for killing, but they all kill and fight in the same fashion. They are still an army.

They are still a religion.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 03:53 PM
link   
As they create this changing religion, we need to adjust constantly

But as with every religion there is a wisdom.

I used to think of it it is, and then it is no more, and then it is again and hard to target. Reminds me of member "Itisnowagain".
edit on 31-3-2013 by Angle because: (no reason given)

It's like we cannot grasp it, just like God himself. Hence the term 'the new religion'.

It might be a wavelenght.

It has no eyes.

new topics

top topics

join