Please recommend a new free email service

page: 1
1

log in

join

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:20 PM
link   
Hey all. I was looking for recommendations for a new email client. Preferably web based, unlimited storage (if possible...), and with a Google Play app, or is at least compatible with the current Android built-in email app...

I have used the same yahoo and gmail addresses for several years now, and it seems here lately that the spam filters aren't working as they should. What used to be 5 or 6 emails a day has turned into 15-20, depending on the day. And a good majority of the new extras are some form of spam.

I did a bit of searching, and came across this link:

Top 15 Free Email Services

This new laptop that I am using came with windows 8, which has a button(??) for a windows live/hotmail account. However, I don't use the windows 8 interface, instead preferring the "semi" classic desktop. So I don't know if that option would be for me...plus I don't want it to "call home" anymore than it probably already does...

So, I turn to my ATS brethren for help. Surely someone here has at least one or two "alternate" email addresses...
edit on 29-3-2013 by edaced4 because: (no reason given)




posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:26 PM
link   
gmail hands down..

tormail if you want to be safe.



posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:39 PM
link   
Not really an answer to your question, but here is a cool E-mail service that gives you a short term E-mail to use while signing up to sites you just know are going to spam your brains out.

www.10minutemail.com



posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:58 PM
link   
reply to post by edaced4
 


GMX hands down, all the bells and whistles, none of the spooky info gathering. %$&# Google products!

edit on 3/30/13 by Infernalis because: %$&#



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I've used Yahoo, Aim/Aol, Hotmail, and Gmail. Gmail is by far my favorite, especially when it comes to keeping all of my data together on my Android device. My Gmail, Youtube, Google Play, Google Music, Google Books, Google TV, Google Keep, Google Drive, and Chrome are all under one email. It's simplicity at it's best.

Here's the Google Play link for that GMX service the "info wary" person, using the internet, spoke about: GMX Android Application
edit on 30-3-2013 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:34 AM
link   
I've read the replies and am wondering why no one has covered privacy?

GMAIL, YAHOO, HOTMAIL...all NOT private IMO and are either already opting in to the open info acts or are poised to do so.

Where are the REAL private email services?

Peace



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:03 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11
 


Why are you concerned with their privacy? The fact that they have a Smart Phone already gave you the hint that personal privacy wasn't a big concern for them. It personally doesn't concern me either. If you use Internet, TV, and Phone in this day and age privacy shouldn't bother you, as most of your data is saved and can be monitored by your providers and anyone with the right to request it.



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:12 AM
link   
I used to use gmail and zimbra desktop but zimbra won't run on my new Toshiba puter. I switched to em client and gmail with my old hotmail address being forwarded to my gmail account. Em Client is free for one email address and it's pretty good. Good luck,



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
reply to post by jude11
 


Why are you concerned with their privacy? The fact that they have a Smart Phone already gave you the hint that personal privacy wasn't a big concern for them. It personally doesn't concern me either. If you use Internet, TV, and Phone in this day and age privacy shouldn't bother you, as most of your data is saved and can be monitored by your providers and anyone with the right to request it.


I'm not concerned about THEIR privacy.

I'm concerned about mine.

If you aren't concerned about yours, that's your choice. I tossed my cell, use 3rd party email (Tor) and NEVER give any personal info on any site. I know it doesn't protect me 100% but at least I'm trying to not fall into the trap.

Peace



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:49 AM
link   
reply to post by edaced4
 


Gmail is good if you need lots of space, I think it's up to 8 gbytes or so now for online storage, however, Google is always up under your skirt. If you don't care, probably a good choice.

If you are security conscious, try hushmail.com, it's encrypted, no tracking and if you lose your password, you're screwed. Unless of course you have a second email listed on the account.

If you want to get crazy, use GMX (or another secure service) as well and forward all of your email from GMX to Hushmail or the other way around. And send out all of your email bounced through an anon remailer. It's all good ;-)

Cheers - Dave



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 04:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
I've used Yahoo, Aim/Aol, Hotmail, and Gmail. Gmail is by far my favorite, especially when it comes to keeping all of my data together on my Android device. My Gmail, Youtube, Google Play, Google Music, Google Books, Google TV, Google Keep, Google Drive, and Chrome are all under one email. It's simplicity at it's best.

Here's the Google Play link for that GMX service the "info wary" person, using the internet, spoke about: GMX Android Application
edit on 30-3-2013 by FidelityMusic because: (no reason given)


Nice snide snub "jerk face"!
Brighten up son!

Normally I keep my fingers zipped but today... Today I'm feeling randy

Yeah I'm on the internet, yes I have a smart fone, yes I understand there is no true encryption save snail mail, and they will still go through your trash. The point is you don't have any other say except the net crap you use.

To resist them, is useful... It is useful, to resist it!

Yes I Prock see and use every available snuggle comfort blanket plugin that makes me feel good about at least about not jumping in their laps, you snarky little muck face.

Look around, try duck duck, use GO story, block some skat and unscript yourself fool.

JEEZ!


Mucker truckers, I swear!



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 07:56 AM
link   
For a free e-mail service, gmail is about as good as it gets. Although I have not tried the new outlook.com.

The only secure e-mail, is no e-mail at all. There are no options, not even those mentioned in this thread, that are secure. They are all spied on, and data is collected from them. Especially those who use mail forwarding, and sites such as hushmail. All you do is raise a red flag above your head, and wave it wildly.

The answer is simple. Don't write what you don't want your government, or a corporation reading. BTW OP. If you have an isp that offers e-mail as well. See what they're offering.



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:57 AM
link   
Many thanks to all for the replies. The GMX looks promising. Or, perhaps I'll just set up a new gmail account. As for privacy,. I have an old old email that I use that, as far as I know, has zero personal info tied to me.



posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by jude11
I've read the replies and am wondering why no one has covered privacy?

GMAIL, YAHOO, HOTMAIL...all NOT private IMO and are either already opting in to the open info acts or are poised to do so.

Where are the REAL private email services?

Peace


Maybe you cant expect that with a free service like GMAIL, YAHOO or HOTMAIL.



posted on Apr, 2 2013 @ 07:36 AM
link   
reply to post by Infernalis
 

Not one - blank - was given this fine morning.





new topics
top topics
 
1

log in

join