It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Weeks to Renew an Existing Driver's License, Coming to Your State Soon!

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 01:51 AM
link   

As the Supreme Court notes in Saenz v Roe, 98-97 (1999), the Constitution does not contain the word "travel" in any context, let alone an explicit right to travel (except for members of Congress, who are guaranteed the right to travel to and from Congress). The presumed right to travel, however, is firmly established in U.S. law and precedent. In U.S. v Guest, 383 U.S. 745 (1966), the Court noted, "It is a right that has been firmly established and repeatedly recognized." In fact, in Shapiro v Thompson, 394 U.S. 618 (1969), Justice Stewart noted in a concurring opinion that "it is a right broadly assertable against private interference as well as governmental action. Like the right of association, ... it is a virtually unconditional personal right, guaranteed by the Constitution to us all." Itis interesting to note that the Articles of Confederation had an explicit right to travel; it is now thought that the right is so fundamental that the Framers may have thought it unnecessary to include it in the Constitution or the Bill of Rights.www.usconstitution.net...

CASE #1: "The use of the highway for the purpose of travel and transportation is not a mere privilege, but a common fundamental right of which the public and individuals cannot rightfully be deprived." Chicago Motor Coach v. Chicago, 169 NE 221.

CASE #2: "The right of the citizen to travel upon the public highways and to transport his property thereon, either by carriage or by automobile, is not a mere privilege which a city may prohibit or permit at will, but a common law right which he has under the right to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness." Thompson v. Smith, 154 SE 579. It could not be stated more directly or conclusively that citizens of the states have a common law right to travel, without approval or restriction (license), and that this right is protected under the U.S Constitution.

CASE #3: "The right to travel is a part of the liberty of which the citizen cannot be deprived without due process of law under the Fifth Amendment." Kent v. Dulles, 357 US 116, 125.

CASE #4: "The right to travel is a well-established common right that does not owe its existence to the federal government. It is recognized by the courts as a natural right." Schactman v. Dulles 96 App DC 287, 225 F2d 938, at 941.www.apfn.org...

"The state cannot diminish rights of the people."

And in Bennett v. Boggs, 1 Baldw 60,
"Statutes that violate the plain and obvious principles of common right and common reason are null and void."
You waive those rights, at the DMV. Pretty slick the way they do it. The DMV can have my license back. Don't want it. Don't need it. I'll let someone else drive for me.

posted on Dec, 30 2013 @ 02:40 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Thank you for bringing forward some case law to support the fact, that the Real ID Act is a blatant stripping of our common law rights. The Federal Government has taken to using the ever growing umbrella of the homeland security act, to erase the Constitution from every aspect of our lives.

Des

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:10 PM
link   
Is it just me, or is it pathetic that it's easier to vote in a presidential election than it is to get a drivers license?
edit on 1/3/2014 by EternalSolace because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2014 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by WonderBoi

Definitely sucks that law abiding citizens have to jump though hoops and the criminals will figure a way around it anyway.

The DMV can have my license back. Don't want it. Don't need it. I'll let someone else drive for me.

Couldn't resist

edit on 3-1-2014 by Maluhia because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 12:03 AM
link   
Uh...meanwhile in Nevada:

Thousands Of Illegal Immigrants Show Up At DMV Offices To Obtain Driver Authorization Cards

Thousands of Nevada immigrants showed up at Department of Motor Vehicle offices Thursday to obtain driver authorization cards under a new law that made the state the 11th nationally to offer driving privileges to people in the country illegally.

LINK

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 01:19 AM
link   
reply to post by BABYBULL24

Makes me proud to be an American.

posted on Jan, 4 2014 @ 03:00 AM
link   

Taissa
I wonder what these people will want next? Blood sample? Finger prints?
2nd

If you know what blood type you are then so does Big Brother and thus also would have been able to obtain a copy of your DNA - this obviously depends on how old you are due to the science of DNA profiling only being established around 1986. Fingerprints are SO last decade..Iris scanning is all the rage now....what a wonderful way to be able to identify a person and keep tabs on them - wherever they are in the world - CCTV, facebook, customs

Biometric identity cards

....hell probably even when at home...
Made in china......

best keep your webcam covered..
FBI..see you

and best do the same for your smartphone with too. That wonderful front facing camera is just so convenient for that awesomely amazing skyping that you can do from anywhere in the world - FREE* - thanks to the wonder of technology! Gotta love that touch screen phone that you have to use your fingertips for to play all of those great FREE* games and cool FREE * apps...what was I saying about fingerprints again?

Fingerprints schmingerprints

* By free, you the consumer are surely aware they don’t really mean free –they will sell your information and metadata to the highest bidder and by clicking “download” you authorise them to forever more ensure you have no privacy whatsoever. Period. Because your safety and freedom is at stake if they don’t. Have a nice day and remember to smile for the cameras.
edit on 4 1.1414 by taketheredpill because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 16 2014 @ 11:53 AM
link   

BABYBULL24
Uh...meanwhile in Nevada:

Thousands Of Illegal Immigrants Show Up At DMV Offices To Obtain Driver Authorization Cards

Thousands of Nevada immigrants showed up at Department of Motor Vehicle offices Thursday to obtain driver authorization cards under a new law that made the state the 11th nationally to offer driving privileges to people in the country illegally.

LINK

Amazing! What took me over 6 weeks of collecting every legal document to prove who I am. Where I've lived, been married or divorced from my entire life, could have been nullified, had I just took a charter bus to Mexico and come back across the border as an undocumented illegal.

Our Country is no longer the land of the free. It's the land of the freeloader.

Des

posted on Jan, 17 2014 @ 01:14 AM
link   
I feel your pain OP. Illegal aliens aren't having to go through this only law abiding citizens. I do not plan on getting a real ID as I visit no federal buildings. I went off on my local post office about a year ago because they wanted most of what you mention. I said are you insane? You bring me my fricken mail you know where I live! The women finally gave in and let me rent a PO BOX for my business.

Banks do the same and all hide behind the patriot act. I have read the patriot act 3 times. It doesn't say to do what they are doing. They are lying and it's all about turning you into a criminal. Making everything a privilege and turning the USA into a total police state. As long as I can drive on the roads in my state, and I can, I will never get a real ID.

The tax office here is not a federal office. I dunno what they consider a federal building maybe a bank? I never go into one had the same bank since I was 18 and will never change. I will never fly again due to the TSA. Yup they can stick that ID right where the sun doesn't shine. This is where I draw the line in the sand.

Edit to add that my state was given an extension. It appears the lawmakers and people here do not want it and refer to it as manure lol. Also.

Their only alternative will be to forgo access to secure federal facilities or forgo commercial air travel. For example, they can travel by train."

www.hstoday.us...

Which is after phase 4. Which to me appears that everyone in your state could sue for a normal license. This isn't required for a normal license to drive upon the roads or highways in your state.This is ONLY to enter federal buildings or to fly in an airplane. The law was not written to require anyone to get this to drive. Not from what I have read released by DHS.

I think there is standing for this to be challenged. As jurisdiction lies with the state not the federal government when it comes to a drivers license.

edit on 17-1-2014 by Pimpintology because: he had to edit to add.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:34 PM
link   
My experience today was ridiculous. I brought in what I thought were all necessary documents: SSN card, current driver's license from my previous state, my certified birth certificate, my current marriage certificate, two forms of utility bills with my current address and in case, I brought extra paperwork. Still, no go; they needed my marriage certificate from my ex who I divorced almost twenty years ago. The lady asked me if I had a passport and I said no, didn't think I needed one since I moved from one state to another state in these United States of America, why would I need a passport? Ridiculous to say the least but really no big deal. It's all about "them" getting their fee for the copies needed, which in and of itself is no big deal, just a pain. As if the bad guys jump through all these hoops in the first place. Way to inconvenience the ordinary hard working citizens of America.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:38 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

Yeah, and it's true ..she called me and told me all about it.. hahahahhahaha!!

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:49 PM
link   
a reply to: queenofsheba

My heart goes out to you Dear. It's all part of homeland security to collect all that data on you. The Real ID Act has taken over the DMV for data collecting and facial recognition photographs. Every document you provided to them, was scanned into the main homeland security central database. I aksed when I had to jump through 50 hoops, just to renew my DL, where all that data was going, that's what they told me. It's all a requirement of the Real ID Act. The scannned paperwork goes to homeland security.

No longer just being born a citizen of the United states, and having an existing DL counts. We have lost so much in the forms of freedoms. Now, just to drive your car, in your own State, you have to provide a paper trail from birth, including all marriages and divorces. The actual documents, not copies. They even require you to provide a paper trail of where you have lived. If you live in an Apt, you need to provide a signed document form your apt manager, that you do live there.

I had to go to the county court house and pay for a document on the deed to my home, and a copy of my paid property taxes. It's so damn invasive. How do people who are living in between stable homes, renew a DL?

I'm clueless as to how all the undocumented aliens just get a DL with no paper trail.

I'm glad you got it done. Save all that paperwork, you'll have to do it all over again in 10 years. Even though they have everything on you now. You still have to repeat the whole process again in 10 years. When I asked why in God's name I have to do that again. They said so they can update any changes in my status in their database. Like if I got divorced married or moved. That has nothing to do with me legally driving a stinking legal car!

Thanks for your report.

Des

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 07:57 PM
link   
Huh?

I had my license renewed back in 2012.

I guess when Real ID was in effect.

As I live in Indiana, I remember I had to wait but I think it took less than 2 weeks.

I remember the 'good' ole days when I went to the DMV and took the picture,and eye test I walked out the same day.

posted on Jun, 10 2014 @ 08:07 PM
link   
I weep for my country. I weep for all of us. George Orwell must be rolling in his grave along with the Founding Fathers.

posted on Jun, 13 2014 @ 10:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: METACOMET
According to the ACLU 25 states are rejecting, and 15 have passed laws exempting their citizens from the "Real I.D" act.

It will be interesting to see how far the federal government can push a majority of states.

In reality if 15 + 25 = 40 States were really against this, the could amend the Constitution to make it illegal. To amend the Constitution requires ¾ of all the states or 38 of them...

If 40 States really wanted to, they could actually outlaw the DHS or any other similar federal police force! A change to the Constitution through a Constitutional Convention is law above anything the federal government can resist.

The states formed the Federal Government – they can change it quite legally and the Feds can't do a thing about it.

And the Feds do just seem to keep pushing...

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: NickK3
In reality if 15 + 25 = 40 States were really against this, the could amend the Constitution to make it illegal. To amend the Constitution requires ¾ of all the states or 38 of them...

If 40 States really wanted to, they could actually outlaw the DHS or any other similar federal police force! A change to the Constitution through a Constitutional Convention is law above anything the federal government can resist.

The states formed the Federal Government – they can change it quite legally and the Feds can't do a thing about it.

I like your style. However, the states and commonwealths don't have to call a con-con to repeal real-id, DHS, the IRS or any other "color of law" legislation, program or agency since the constitution never granted the legislative, executive or judicial branch the power to create ANY of them in the first place.

The enumeration in the Constitution, of certain rights, shall not be construed to deny or disparage others retained by the people.
-9th Amendment to the united states constitution

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.
10th Amendment to the united states constitution

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 09:07 PM
link   
a reply to: METACOMET

Agreed, its just null and void and conception.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:04 PM
link   

I like your style. However, the states and commonwealths don't have to call a con-con to repeal real-id, DHS, the IRS or any other "color of law" legislation, program or agency since the constitution never granted the legislative, executive or judicial branch the power to create ANY of them in the first place.

No Constitutional authority for any of those? I'm not sure about that. Remember that Congress has Article I authority to "make all Laws which shall be necessary and proper for carrying into Execution the foregoing Powers and all other Powers vested by this Constitution in the Government of the United States, or in any Department or Officer thereof." The foregoing powers includes the power to "lay and collect Taxes, Duties, Imposts and Excises, to pay the Debts and provide for the common Defence and general Welfare of the United States." There's the authority to create the IRS, all in the enumerated powers. Real ID authority comes from full faith and credit clause: "Congress may by general Laws prescribe the Manner in which such Acts, Records and Proceedings shall be proved, and the Effect thereof." The DHS is just the cabinet-level department created to oversee a number of other pre-existing agencies and functions. The organization of the executive branch is provided for in the necessary and proper clause. If it is rather to the functions of specific agencies that you object, I would probably agree with you in some cases, but for the most part I think DHS agencies are authorized by the Constitution:

1. CBP/ICE: The Article I power to regulate commerce with foreign nations, and the Article IV guarantee to protect states aganst invasion. (The latter is perhaps more honored in the breach than the observance?)
  2. USCIS: The Article I power to establish a system of naturalization.
  3. USCG: The Article I power to define and punish felonies on the high seas; as a wartime adjunct to the Navy, the various clauses regarding the Navy.
  4. USSS: The necessary and proper clause as applied to the office of the President; the Article I power to punish counterfeiting.

I think there is nothing authorizing the TSA, except perhaps as an Article IV emergency measure, and I think they are pioneers in the realm of unreasonable searches and seizures. But the other agencies are mostly okay.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:25 PM
link   
a reply to: FurvusRexCaeli

You can't convince armchair-lawyers of this. They don't believe it's constitutional unless it's explicitly stated as such.

There are a huge number of people in this country who believe the only 'law' we need is the dozen or so pages of the constitution.

posted on Jun, 14 2014 @ 10:46 PM
link   

originally posted by: NickK3

According to the ACLU 25 states are rejecting, and 15 have passed laws exempting their citizens from the "Real I.D" act.

It will be interesting to see how far the federal government can push a majority of states.

And the Feds do just seem to keep pushing...

The feds are stating to the states that are trying to buck the real ID Act, they will not get federal funds for other projects if they don't comply. The Feds are using Homeland Security as the means for denying the funds for noncompliance.

My state tried to not implement it, and were told the citizens of Georgia would not be allowed to board commercial flights if they didn't comply...

January 22, 2014

If you live in Georgia and you have had to renew your drivers license in the last couple of years you know that for the first time in the history of the state you are being asked to present special documents in order to obtain a new license. And it is a big inconvenience for many to have to purchase a new birth certificate or dig out a marriage license or divorce decree in order to renew a driver's license they have held for years. But blame it on the 9/11 terrorists.

USA Today points out on Jan. 22 that Georgia is but one of the states having to inconvenience their citizens because four of the 19 terrorists in 2001 managed to get on board a commercial airline using a state-issued drivers license when they should not have been able to do so.

But some states are still refusing to become compliant to the Real ID Act, even though it goes into effect in April 2014. And the citizens who live in their states may be unable to board commercial airlines as a result. Those states include Alaska, Arizona, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maine, Massachusetts, Minnesota, Montana, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oklahoma and Washington state.

www.examiner.com...

I am 63 years old, have been married 3 times, and had to bring in *certified* original documents of all marriages and divorces. When I started this thread, it was a cluster-you know what to obtain *certified* copies of all the documents in order to just renew my existing legal DL, even though I own my own home, and have lived in this state for 16 years.

YET, I saw in the many visits to the DMD to get what used to be a simple process done, a special line set up for illegal aliens who zipped right through getting a legal DL. No English being spoken and a special computer in Spanish for them to take the test on, and a person who stood by them and basically pointed to what key to push for the right answer. How in the hell did they get to bypass the Real ID Act.???

It's gone crazy I tell you. Wait until the 100's of thousands of teens and young adults pouring over our borders now, get their DL...with no birth certificates or anything to prove who they are. Different laws for people legally born here I guess...

Des

edit on 14-6-2014 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17 >>

join