It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

6 Weeks to Renew an Existing Driver's License, Coming to Your State Soon!

page: 14
<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:06 AM
link   
The list is incorrect in the link on the first page. As stated a couple of times in previous posts that no one wanted to star, this is nothing new. In little old South Dakota this has been the norm since 2009.

SD Drivers Lic Req

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

i think thats safe to say, but the point remains:

of course they want original documents... cant shop with photocopied credit cards, and you cant get an id walking in the door waving photocopies. just like ive notice people here dont take anything they see without proof and original sources...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:14 AM
link   
reply to post by vServo

Just 15 years ago you could walk into a shop with a photocopy of a birth certificate (just info no pics or anyway to confirm identify with the customer who holds it).

What i find most annoying about the ID/driving license thing is that: with all the ID theft a criminal with the means to fake an application could end up with a fully legitimate ID with false information, which due to all the hype about ID security, everyone will assume as the truth without a seconds guess in the face of any obvious problems. Like a conman in a policeman's uniform, we are trained not to question 'official' looking documents or people. I bet one day soon you can be arrested for asking a policeman knocking at your door for ID!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by vServo

Just 15 years ago you could walk into a shop with a photocopy of a birth certificate (just info no pics or anyway to confirm identify with the customer who holds it).

>uh no thats not true... at least not where im from... speaking from experience: my family owns and operates gaming and drinking establishments in las vegas, nv. and let me tell you about huge fines and going to jail if some guy walked in and flashed around photocopies and you were like : good enough.

and if you except the birth certificate photocopy or legit copy as an id measure you better be ready to go back to your TAM (tobacco alcohol management) class, spend 4 more hours watching the video, and spend another 125$ on the replacement card they took from you. of course all this is after you get bailed out of jail and/or pay your several thousand dollar fine.

of course maybe where you are from they don't sell liquor or tobacco or over the counter medicines in which case sure I bet you could walk in and id yourself with a photocopied blank sheet of paper.
edit on Sun Mar 31 2013 by DontTreadOnMe because: tags fix

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:47 AM
link   
reply to post by vServo

Sorry i had a really nice post, but my browser ate it

I am from the UK not the USA, all i meant was that the amount of checks required and the technology to make a genuine ID is still totally abusable if the department in charge can get duped into making one with false details - and that ID will never be questioned.

Ultimately yes, the illegal sale of products to minors or drivers of vehicles with fake IDs is still a problem but is significantly reduced - it is still not a foolproof system.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Biigs
reply to post by vServo

Sorry i had a really nice post, but my browser ate it

I am from the UK not the USA, all i meant was that the amount of checks required and the technology to make a genuine ID is still totally abusable if the department in charge can get duped into making one with false details - and that ID will never be questioned.

Ultimately yes, the illegal sale of products to minors or drivers of vehicles with fake IDs is still a problem but is significantly reduced - it is still not a foolproof system.

my browser ate my homework! lol I hate that. well ya it all sucks Ill agree. People with the power to ruin your day will always ruin your day. And man oh man do they love their "official" documents.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 07:49 AM
link   
S. Florida here. I had to mail away and pay $60 to get an official "real copy" of my BC just to renew my State ID card last year. I had a copy of my BC, my original SS card, and mail with my name on it. Not good enough.

Took 3 months to get this new BC (and again had to pay $60) with the official raised seal on it, as copies of my original weren't worth anything to them at the DMV.

Right now I'm in the process of trying to get my DL from out of Revocation. It's expected to take about 8 months to a year; as I was told the National DMV HQ's database in Albany NY is backed up 6 months.

Advice to kids. If/When you do get your DL, hold onto it like it's gold. Don't ever Drive after drinking, pay tickets on time. I never realized how valuable and important my DL was till it got suspended. Then I got caught driving on a suspended, and then it got Revoked. I am ashamed to say how many years ago this was. But there's no statute of limitations. That revoked DL will always be there on my record in their Database.

The process to get a DL back from revocation is absolutely rediculous. You wanna talk about hoop jumping, and waiting. Sheesh. It's so hard I actually tried and gave up (which I think is their hopes) two times already when trying to do this. I really hope I get it done this time.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Hefficide

Des I am dreading the new rules. My DL is valid until mid 2015 but I am going to have a rough, rough time getting it reinstated because of the new rules.

A few years back I had cause to need my B/C and discovered that my original is lost. We think that my father might have had a safety deposit box when he passed away that we were not aware of and cannot find. Anyway - I contacted the county where I was born only to find out that all they have on record is a photocopy. I was born in a military hospital and it since closed. Somewhere in the mix my original was lost - even to the government. Given that I couldn't even pay to order a certified copy of the original... the best they'd do is to mail me a photocopy of their photocopy for free.

Now, thanks to this new crap... it's entirely possible that I am not even legally considered an American.

What a nightmare.

Do you have a passport?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

yeah I am 31...maybe that's it! I can only image the issues I will be going through in 30 years!
edit on 3/31/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

edit on 3/31/2013 by Djayed because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   
I had to go through this procedure when I was an international student in the U.S.A. I made countless trips to the DMV since they never provided me with a list of all the documents I needed to present to them and every time I went they told me about another document I needed... About the fifth time I went there, they finally got tired of me and gave me a list. I gathered all required documents and went again, but guess what? Their system was down!!! That whole ordeal prolonged the process for over a month. Several times I had to spend the whole work day at the DMV (7am to 5pm) just to be told that I needed another document or waiting on the system to get back up... I felt very much played around, but what made me feel the most uncomfortable was the fact that I had to ask someone to drive me to the DMV and back every single time... And in my case it was the same person. At the end of the whole thing, the DMV employees told me not to go to that particular DMV anymore, but to the other one in town since they were also tired going through all the hoops and I assume they felt bad about me going back and forth a million times... That was after I got my DL though! The licence I got was only valid until the expiration date on the U.S. visa in my passport. I went to a graduate school in another state so I had to get a DL from there and the rules there were different. Maybe that was because I already had a U.S. DL, but it was way easier and the process infinitelly shorter. I also got my DL from there for ten years. It expires this year though...

Anyway, even though I am not an American, I can relate to your situation, since I had to go through the same process when I lived in the U.S. All I can wish you is good luck!

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
I have a CDL, i have to get fingerprinted every few years

so what, my prints will change ?

it's all just a fee grab and a way to gather info us

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by syrinx high priest
I have a CDL, i have to get fingerprinted every few years

so what, my prints will change ?

it's all just a fee grab and a way to gather info us

Maybe they are afraid that an alien entity might shape shift and present itself as being you...

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:17 AM
link   
A bank account? Why in the world would you have to prove that???

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:37 AM
link   

Hello - I'm in Iowa and in March 2013 I also renewed my DL, but had the option of getting the Real ID or the regular license. I chose to get the Real ID. I brought a certified copy of my Birth Certificate, Marriage License, Voter Reg Card, Soc Sec Card, a bank statement and a copy of a utility bill.

I passed the document test (apparently some people can't follow instructions)and my license now has a star on it to prove the Real ID. I figured it would be required next year so I might as well get it now. The only hassle was having to send off for a certified copy of my birth certificate from another state because I was not born in Iowa. I had all other required documents.

The Iowa DOT website assures us there is no RDIF chip in the license. Not sure if I believe that....we'll see....

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Nola213

If you don't have an issue with them collecting your personal biometrics ( I assume you don't as your seeking a DL/ID), the quickest way to get a new “class A” ID is to get a passport card.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:13 PM
link   
reply to post by syrinx high priest

They want all your information under their control, so if you ever cross the wrong person or group they make make you cease to officially exist. Those who do not exist have NO rights what-so-ever. If we want a world where you go to exercise your First Amendment Rights to protest, and end up being tracked then completely disappearing forever, we are well on the way due to this act. Every time a fascist police state has come into existence it has started with these types of “control the population” measures.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lynzer

The Iowa DOT website assures us there is no RDIF chip in the license. Not sure if I believe that....we'll see....

I really don't get the worry about the RFID, the biometrics are far more dangerous to your personal freedom. RFID can only be read from short distance by specific, and expensive, readers. Biometrics can track you in a crowd, at great distance, without your knowledge.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:38 PM
link   
FYI

Real ID is legislation passed by Congress and signed into law by President Bush in 2005.

Source:

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5

Originally posted by Lynzer

I really don't get the worry about the RFID, the biometrics are far more dangerous to your personal freedom. RFID can only be read from short distance by specific, and expensive, readers. Biometrics can track you in a crowd, at great distance, without your knowledge.

RFID is even less of a threat if you know how it works and how to defeat it. All you have to do is line your wallet with aluminum foil. The metal keeps anyone from using a portable scanner to steal your RFID stored info. They are actually making aluminum cases for RFID cards now. Then the RFID only works when you want it to by taking it out of the shielded case. This also keeps government checkpoints from tracking you by RFID.

posted on Apr, 1 2013 @ 01:20 AM
link   
reply to post by kaylaluv

Why do you guys think we need to actually have it renewed? does it make sense? if they needed to have updated info in their system why don't they just update it? why do you have to get a 'new' license. better not be putting mini rfid's in them

new topics

top topics

<< 11  12  13    15  16  17 >>

join