It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Neighbor complains about a Marine Flying his Flag...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by HairlessApe

Originally posted by sonnny1
reply to post by lovebeck

I think if you serve this Country, you should be honored, not dishonored.

I think many people have many different opinions.

I also think there are a million definitions of "respect" and "disrespect."

Try being less ambiguous, "writer."

What are you even talking about?? I didn't post this, someone else did in response. Please go troll somewhere else.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   
I wish there were enough patriots in America that they could actually DO something constructive about the
totalitarian leanings of theUS Govt.
This is just more propaganda...................when yall getting off yer asses and DO something?
Hurry up! Another ten years ill be too friggin old to help!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sovaka
Can't be an anonymous neighbour to the marine if the neighbour knew he didn't have a permit for the flag pole.

But don't you just love the bureaucratic tape that requires you to ask 'permission' before doing anything?
We have the same # here in Australia...

None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free -- von Goethe
I have hope, though...I notice more and more that others are verbalizing (online, anyway) that if one needs permission to do something, then one really is NOT free...

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:16 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Florida has a lot of deed restrictions, and people here are very picky about them, especially retirees. Many of them have nothing better to do then sit and pick on every blade of grass that is out of place on their neighbors lawn. Of course the property value is the main issue of contention.

You also have issues here with poor zoning, and a very mixed bag of people. So, for example, you can end up with a million dollar house zoned next to a rented, section 8, mobile home. You have folks from all over the world that come here to retire, or use this as a winter home. This causes a number of issues, and again, both local communities and the counties have strict ordinances and restrictions to keep the situation under control.

The fact that he is a renter is very telling as well...
Just using myself as an example here; I bought a place in a upper middle class area, my neighbor bought his property on a foreclosure, broke it into apartments, and now rents it out to section 8 families. So now I have a parking lot next door, people coming and going at all hours, cars & boats parked on my lawn, people fishing/boating/swimming at 3-4am, parties, fights, police calls, even a gun fight over a stolen vehicle once. You're damn right if they do anything that I can call the county on I'm going to, so are the other neighbors as well. This is not so much because of anything a particular renter has done, but because we are fed up with the situation in general and want to make the owners life hell till he sells the place. There is a LOT of rental property in Florida, especially since the real estate crash, and renters, who have no personal investment in the property or its value, cause a LOT of problems for their neighbors.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by defcon5
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Florida has a lot of deed restrictions, and people here are very picky about them, especially retirees. Many of them have nothing better to do then sit and pick on every blade of grass that is out of place on their neighbors lawn. Of course the property value is the main issue of contention.

You also have issues here with poor zoning, and a very mixed bag of people. So, for example, you can end up with a million dollar house zoned next to a rented, section 8, mobile home. You have folks from all over the world that come here to retire, or use this as a winter home. This causes a number of issues, and again, both local communities and the counties have strict ordinances and restrictions to keep the situation under control.

The fact that he is a renter is very telling as well...
Just using myself as an example here; I bought a place in a upper middle class area, my neighbor bought his property on a foreclosure, broke it into apartments, and now rents it out to section 8 families. So now I have a parking lot next door, people coming and going at all hours, cars & boats parked on my lawn, people fishing/boating/swimming at 3-4am, parties, fights, police calls, even a gun fight over a stolen vehicle once. You're damn right if they do anything that I can call the county on I'm going to, so are the other neighbors as well. This is not so much because of anything a particular renter has done, but because we are fed up with the situation in general and want to make the owners life hell till he sells the place. There is a LOT of rental property in Florida, especially since the real estate crash, and renters, who have no personal investment in the property or its value, cause a LOT of problems for their neighbors.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

You stole my thunder.
Oh well, you said it better than I could have. He could fly both flags from those porch poles rather than pouring cement. I was with the guy because the pole looked plastic at times in the video, but it's clearly anchored into the ground, which is why the neighbor complained.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by kdog1982

GREAT Idea! Hang it on the apartment walls!! Love it!!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:37 PM
link   
This sounds like a story I read about 1-2 years ago. In that case, the veteran eventually won the right to keep his flag, I believe. Homeowner associations can make almost any rule they want to, as long as a majority of the owners agree. Not saying that's the case here, but it sounds like it.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 12:56 PM
link   
I must say I find overt displays nationalism a bit disturbing.
Perhaps the people in the neighborhood found the gaudiness of the us flag in conflict with their sublime aesthetics.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by rom12345

You find it disturbing if people show pride in their national heritage?

May I ask... exactly what it is about such horrendous things upset you? Could you offer a concise but defined explanation?

I really am curious... nothing more.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:07 PM
link   

You find it disturbing if people show pride in their national heritage?

Perhaps some find this pride misplaced, and in bad taste.

I'm just speculating as to the mind set of the complainants.
I personally am indifferent.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:11 PM
link   

Wait a minute! You said:

You PERSONALLY find these displays a bit disturbing. Am I misreading that?

I repeat my question; what do you personally find so upsetting?
edit on 30-3-2013 by redoubt because: adjusting code

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:14 PM
link   

The law is an ass!! So is this the only thing that happened that day? How many women where raped? Children abused? People Killed? Or went to bed hungry in the land of the free? Sheeeeesh Some people need to get a life and consider the important things? Leave the marine to have his flag..

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:20 PM
link   

I agree this is insane. People are treating ex military like crap and no one seems to care. Not there fault they had to follow orders in iraq but people act like they had a choice other than following orders.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt

Wait a minute! You said:

You PERSONALLY find these displays a bit disturbing. Am I misreading that?

I repeat my question; what do you personally find so upsetting?
edit on 30-3-2013 by redoubt because: adjusting code

I find it upsetting that my indifference to patriotism and lack of appreciation for the christmas tree effect, would disturb you.
edit : Actually I'm not that upset.
edit on 30-3-2013 by rom12345 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by rom12345

I find it upsetting that my indifference to patriotism and lack of appreciation for the christmas tree effect, would disturb you. edit : Actually I'm not that upset.

Hey, all I was doing was quoting what you said and asking a straight question. And who in the heck said anything about Christmas trees???

I humbly suggest that you spend more time considering what you say before you say it... and less time criticizing others when they ask you to detail the same.

Best to ya... hope you get untangled.

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by redoubt
reply to post by Morgenstern89

You also have to consider the fact that in a suburb like that you are just a few paces away from your neighbors house - so whatever goes on on the surrounding properties -is- your business whether you want it to be or not. And it's the reason rules like this are in place.

Let's look at this like neighbors. You live next door to me... not up my wahzoo but close enough so that when I mow my grass, you can hear the engine in your home with all the windows shut and the A/C on. (If you live in Florida, you will have A/C and it will be on in the summer when I am cutting my lawn.)

Now then, I go out in the middle of my front yard, dig a small hole to pour a small foundation to hold a flag pole. On that flag pole, I have a US flag.

Okee dokee... please explain how my American flag on a modest pole in my yard, afflicts your life to the point that you feel compelled to sic the city tyranny upon me.

Not looking for an argument... just trying to delve your application of reasoning.

Thanks

As far as I can see, this has nothing to do with an American Flag in a guys yard. This has everything to do with using an American Flag to push a relatively boring story onto the front page of the local news. A lot of buzz words - Marine, Veteran, Iraq, American Flag, Fight - all used to rile people up over a very benign situation.

Plain and simple - the dude didn't get the right permits. That is literally -all there is- to this story. And because he's renting, he apparently needs a third party to do it - and yeah, that's going to cost him some money. It's just one of those things that comes with renting I guess. If he'd gone about it the right way there would be no story here.

As far as why the rules are in place - it's so that people don't put up eye sores or dangerous structures. In some of these cases, whether you want it to or not, your neighbors business becomes your own. In this case, if the guy had gotten the proper permits and erected the structure properly there would be -no story here- and he'd have his flag displayed proudly. And there wouldn't be a thing his neighbors could do about it.

I'd say though, judging by the fact that this took place in Florida, on a rental property, rented to a punk kid in his 20's, with a "Don't Tread On Me" flag right under the US flag - that this isn't the first trouble he's had with his neighbors, and I'd wager everything I have that it won't be the last.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Morgenstern89 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:46 PM
link   
The issue isn't the flag, it's that the guy believes he's above other citizens and thinks he doesn't have to apply for a permit.

Silly? Yes, but you have to go through official channels.
edit on 30-3-2013 by Cynicaleye because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Morgenstern89

As far as I can see, this has nothing to do with an American Flag in a guys hard. This has everything to do with using an American Flag to push a relatively boring story onto the front page of the local news. A lot of buzz words - Marine, Veteran, Iraq, American Flag, Fight - all used to rile people up over a very benign situation. Plain and simple - the dude didn't get the right permits. That is literally -all there is- to this story. And because he's renting, he apparently needs a third party to do it - and yeah, that's going to cost him some money. It's just one of those things that comes with renting I guess. If he'd gone about it the right way there would be no story here.

The story should be about city permits and not the ability of a service vet to fly an American flag in his yard from a modest pole?

Wow, you should run for mayor someplace where mailboxes must meet certain construction standards, grass is mowed from a preassigned schedule, kids swim and play according to approval and you are not allowed to wash your own car in your driveway.

I'm sorry... I have a hard time believing that there are real people who could hold that opinion but... this wonderful 21st century surprises me everyday... which is okay, you are welcome to it

Thanks for the reply

edit on 30-3-2013 by redoubt because: retype

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:53 PM
link   
Even it he had full right to fly his freak flag, it would be asinine to do so.
It's like having the hells angles move in to your hood

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 01:55 PM
link   

Even it he had full right to fly his freak flag, it would be asinine to do so.
It's like having the hells angles move in to your hood

The US flag is the same as a Hell's Angel's MCC insignia?

Our country is not going to hell... hell has already come to us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join