It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hip hop fans prepare to have your mind's blown

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Anyone who is crapping all over hip hop because its "stolen samples of other songs, only talks about hoes and gold chains, blah blah blah.." has not a freaking clue what real hip hop is.

I am a fan of hip hop and I hate mainstream rap. Lil Wayne, Drake, etc I can't even name any more cause I don't pay attention to it.

However, there are REAL soulful artists out there and they are true poets. Anyone who truly wants to have an eargasm should start their search with The Roots. They've been around for 20 years, play all their own instruments, incorporate multiple genres into their music, and are overall studs. They're now Jimmy Fallon's house band on his late night show. They're recognized as one of the most influential hip hop bands of all time yet never really got the mainstream attention, most likely because they are the opposite of what record execs are trying to sell to the masses.

I'd then continue your search to Mos Def, Talib Kweli, A Tribe Called Quest, and The Pharcyde.

As for the OP, this stuff is not too bad and will check out some more of what they have to offer. Anything with a positive message and some banging beats is worth a listen.
edit on 30-3-2013 by PatriotGames2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 09:44 PM
link   
Hey Ho, Hey Ho, Hey Ho, NO GO!

posted on Mar, 30 2013 @ 10:53 PM
link   

*contribution*

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:15 AM
link   
reply to post by shanegm

You might want to check out Imogen Heap .. The artist who wrote produced and performed that song before These guys went all puff daddy on it.

In the words of the immortal bill Hicks " That anti Illuminati dollar is seeing strong returns in this volatile market"

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:25 AM
link   
Proposing that hip hop and anything else for that matter is only this or that is like claiming rock music is only electric guitar riffs and completely dismiss the lyrics, jazz is only bass plucks and horns, reggae is only about cannabis and classical music is only random piano taps.

Such judgmental and prejudice behavior makes me sick.
edit on 31-3-2013 by ABeing because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:40 AM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

Being in a studio right now I have to say that I respect artists who display a willingness to create with whatever tools available.

Not hustlers who shop established finished art to cut and past so they can make the $$$$$$$ and get the Material cause that's the meaning of life right.

Saul Williams was right when he said hip hop has wandered to far from the source and is emitting a lesser frequency .

I deal with these guys all the time, way to many have that easy and fast moto.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by PatriotGames2
Anyone who is crapping all over hip hop because its "stolen samples of other songs, only talks about hoes and gold chains, blah blah blah.." has not a freaking clue what real hip hop is.

I totally agree, I could not have said it better myself. Although I certainly respect that each individual is entitled to his or her opinion on music (or any other matters involving one's personal taste), I see this as a prime example of herd mentality. If all people were inclined to examine and research first hand about things unfamiliar to them PRIOR to stating an opinion, then we would be living in a society in which experience would be the chopping block of personal preference rather than what is deemed "cool" by any specific subculture.

Isn't that a foundational principle that is to be encouraged for members of this site? Do your own research, peeps!

btw, May I please add De La Soul to your list of hip hop recommendations?

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 05:42 AM
link   
Rap and Hip Hop are both dead. It was a movement that was never intended nor authorized by those in control of the music industry. It's been dead since Pac died and it's only gone down hill since. Those in control finally got it off the radio after 10 years.

Young rap/hip hop artists are fools. You will never get air time unless you throw some fem nazi in the hook.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:37 AM
link   
To me one of the best rappers alive is Immortal Technique, he spits about history, the NWO and such, ATS would love him. He's also very intelligent, he was on the Alex Jones show just last week.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 06:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Theimp

Unfortunately, I do have to agree with you to some extent. The pure intent and following movement of Hip Hop has been decaying since the dawn of the new millenium, which truly is a shame, because there used to be both wisdom and profound truth about the condition of society within the lyrics and the music itself, although sampled, channelled the same vibration and message.
Once the mainstream media and the 'industry' conquered the major players of the genre, the decline was innevitable. It began during the 90s, not only because of the industry's influence but also because of individual greed, arrogance and lust for power rather than desire to change the world.
Once elements of the genre was incorporated into the concept of popular music, new 'scholars' were never taught the pure teachings of the art itself and once they graduated unto the scene their lack of knowledge and will to change infected the rest of the genre and every generation of 'students' yet to come.

Fortunately, at least for those who remember or have studied the original artform and movement; there are still some artists and producers who stay true to the essence of Hip Hop, and they should always be praised, respected, thanked for their efforts and their music should be attempted to be spread.
And this applies to every genre of music.

Music should always be the expression of the soul and mind, not the communication of the desires of the flesh and material things.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by Theimp

This young man was bringing rap back. He was really starting to ge get noticed.
Unfortunately he pulled a "Kurt Kobain" on 12/23/12.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Then theres also MF Doom someone steez really looked up to..

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by shanegm

It's actually not crazy how little views they are lol they're just not that good, or atleast nothing special. They have a long way to go and I won't be the one to bother glorifying them until they get there. Don't jump on a bandwagon because that bandwagon might incorporate two of your favorite things (hiphop, spirituality?) Hopefully this inspires some real talent out there

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:21 AM
link   
My contribution:

My favorite rapper is Mike Shinoda. His works you can listen through Linkin Park and Fort Minor

One of my favorite songs off of him:

It starts off heavy, but it smoothens out.

edit on 31-3-2013 by BigEvil because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Personally, I have always have great respect for and been a fan of The Roots, Mos Def, Talib Kweli, Pharoahe Monch, J Dilla (r.i.p), Common (sometimes), Dead Prez, Lupe Fiasco and so forth. Basically the artists who at least attempt to stay true to their own art and not let outside influence affect their music too much.
Black Thought's lyrics are profoundly wise and soulful. Gives me the shivers when I really pay attention.

I guess I tend to enjoy soul inspired Hip Hop the most.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

I couldn't have put it in any better words. I especially enjoyed the statement where you said. "(B)ecause of individual greed, arrogance and lust for power rather than desire to change the world.
Once elements of the genre was incorporated into the concept of popular music, new 'scholars' were never taught the pure teachings of the art itself and once they graduated unto the scene their lack of knowledge and will to change infected the rest of the genre and every generation of 'students' yet to come".

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 09:43 AM
link   
reply to post by BigEvil

I am glad I do not only speak for myself and that others also share that oppinion.
I have been deeply connected with music since very early on in life but Hip Hop and the art of rythm and poetry totally caught me off guard in my teenage years and that's when my interest in music really took off, as Hip Hop, especially during the early 90s had developed an almost magical way of combining poetry with enchanting, albeit recycled music. I love music in general but there is a distinct difference between sung lyrics and rythm and poetry, that needs to be acknowledged as the lack of close attention by the masses became Hip Hop music's downfall.

It sadens me greatly as I had high hopes for the genre and it was artists like the ones I mentioned earlier that inspired me to start writing myself and it has affected my life and way of thinking deeply.

I am truly grateful for Hip Hop.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ABeing

Those are some of the people I like to listen too you mentioned.
One of the best cyphers youll hear

And...

edit on 31-3-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ElOmen

I really liked the first video. It is nice to see some 'unknowns' speak up about important subjects rather than shallow boasting.

I have been studying theology lately and thoughts about the condition of society and things I have done, be they wrong or morally correct. Black Thought's verses on "The OtherSide" on the album "Undun" resonate a lot with me these days.

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 12:47 PM
link   
Wasn't impressed . My mind was not blown at all.

Try this

posted on Mar, 31 2013 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Nah, this guy speaks truths. His voice and flow is really good as well.

Last video was a joke, but in all seriousness this one is definitely worth checking out.

Government, Illuminati, and Obama all adressed in that one. Hopsin is the man when it comes to speaking truths.
edit on 31-3-2013 by Blunter because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join