It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I quit smoking cold turkey and it was easy...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
Title pretty much says it for itself, I've been a smoker for about 12 years. I would smoke about 12-15 cigarettes a day. Never knew why I smoked in the first place
I guess I was just being rebellious and just didn't care at the time I started (around highschool).

So I have been smoke free for 7 days. I know alot of people would be like that's not that long but I no longer have the cravings and I'm not going back. I've been trying to quit for a long time but never had any success. I would try by cutting down on my smoking, which never helped at all really I would just start right back up after a while. The electronic cigarette is a really good way to stop smoking for all you smokers but it still puts nicotine into your body, which can lead to heart problems.

My friends ask me how I quit cold turkey and I didn't really have an answer. I just told them that it's just a choice. When it comes down to it, it's all in your head (the addiction). So I told myself I was going to stop smoking right now, got the ash trays out of sight and threw everything away. Stay away from other smokers too by the way. Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes.

So to conclusion, yup I quit
and I urge everyone else to quit also. You only live once, why would you want to shorten your life? Ever since I quit my sense of smell has increased dramatically. You smokers just don't realize how bad you smell
The secret to quitting is you just have to choose not to smoke and alot of people will say well I get the cravings...yes they will be there but you just have to choose not to smoke and go out and do something keep your mind off it. Keep trying and you can crack the hold it has on you, you just have to want it bad enough.

you sound like the little boy whistling in the dark. (AA reference to attitude of drinkers that make such claims)

I have heard sooooooooooo many claim this and start smoking shortly (usually very shortly) after bragging like this.

recovering from addictive substances is a battle that goes on for years if not life

dont get a big head over such miniscule success

My husband started smoking from boyhood. His Father's cigarette smoke addicted him as a baby, he smoke heavy until in his 30's.

He stopped one day cold turkey! We have been together 19 years and he has never wanted to smoke again.

What helped him was leaving for a while to another place away from smoking friends, staying with someone who did not smoke.

He is saddened when he watches parents smoking in the car and anywhere they are blowing smoke in their children's faces.

He feels they should be arrested.

He is sad at all the people standing in the rain at their breaks trying to get enough stuff into their lungs to last until the next break. And he is saddened by all the teens we see with the silly looking stick hanging from their face as they try to operate their phone walking home squinting from the smoke in their eyes.

He has been there so has a right to his feelings. I have never even tried to smoke but once as an 11 year old...again with a friend who stole a pack of her Mothers cigarettes. I hated it so that was that.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:28 AM
link   
I can agree that this can work in the long run, but you have to keep making affirmations for yourself to stay off of the cancer sticks. A lot of times in hypnotherapy, people will go for help for their smoking and then whine that it didn't work but that's because they didn't want to quit. Any suggestions given in that route may be disregarded or not followed if the person doesn't truly agree with it. In this method, it illustrates a lot of what you are doing. You form positive affirmations for your future and keep a strong resolve because it is something that you in fact wnat to do and the power all comes from deep down and within. Best of luck to you.
Happy to see another smoker on their way to full health.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by ElOmen
After being a smoker for about 7 years I quit and have been smoke free for. About 2 years now.

All I gotta say is that when your lungs start fixing themselves up youll notice a big difference in your breathing.

I too quit cold turkey. I found it quite easy and had no problems.
Mind over body

Not to mention all the extra cash im saving.

Heres a little something for those who quit smoking
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29-3-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

I was just reading that 25% of our bodies oxygen is used by the brain, so it must really help to have better working lungs!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by theruthlessone
Has anyone got any tips for convincing other people to stop smoking have been trying to get my mother to stop for years she tries and always gives up after the second week.....!!!

For someone not ready it is like asking them to throw their baby out and lock the door!

My advice would be what someone told me years ago about being vegetarian. She was vegetarian and we hated the abuse in the meat industry of animals plus the horror of what they are feeding people we wanted to stop but were addicted to eating meat.

She said...well when you are ready...

nothing more... pressure, guilt, truth, none of it helps, until someone is ready in their head and heart.

Her words never left me. I WANTED to BE ready!

and less then a year later we suddenly had the strength to make such a huge change and have been very happy all these years since.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Starwise

Originally posted by Whosthatgirl
I thought good for you, way to go until you said.....

" Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes. "

Now all I have to say is hmmmmmm...

hmmm is right. My grandfather who was a christian chain smoked until he was 91 years old. No emphysema, cancer or diseases. Just old age.

Lucky guy, sounds like he had no cancer genes for the bad habits to work on.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:43 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

I also quit smoking cold turkey, over 30 years ago. I started when I was 17 and by the time I was 24, I was a chain smoker. All it took for me back then was a $10.00 dare from friends, and a whole bunch of carot sticks, when I wanted a cigarette, I ate a carot stick instead.

I also told myself I could never have even one puff, back then it was routine for me and my ex to light cigarettes for one another, I found out in an earlier try to quit, that even this small contact would lead me back to my old habit. Once your done, your done!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by TiredofControlFreaks
reply to post by theruthlessone

As for your mother quitting smoking, are you trying to kill her

The majority of all lung cancers occur in ex-smokers!

Overall, 10-15% of lung cancers occur in non-smokers. (Another 50% occur in former smokers.)

Tired of Control Freaks

Yeah im really trying to convince her to kill herself............... If she was addicted to beer or addicted to drugs should i then not try to get her to stop weather she wanted to or not, I love my mother more than any women in the world and i hate to see her addicted to something that kills her slowly

and breath.........

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

Yes, I've seen a lot of methods like that too just to replace the activity engaged in whenever it's "smoking time" . I remember my grandfather found out he had lung cancer probably in his fifties or sixties and he quit right away to avoid causing any more damage. I think his vice for that time was chewing gum and sucking peppermints whenever he wanted a cigarette. That made it fun years down the line after he had beaten the cancer and sufficiently quit because he would always be carrying chewing gum to give to us kids.
That will always be one of my happiest memories, my third cousin and I playing in the yard and my grandfather walking up and giving us a stick of gum. It was the blue Freedent brand.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
reply to post by Whosthatgirl

There is nothing untrue of what I said, smoking is killing yourself do you agree? It's not like the cigarette has a mind of its own...

He's wondering what God and Jesus have to do with it. Why must religion have to be drug into everything? Jesus probably smoked himself.

I would smoke with Jesus.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Has anyone got any tips for convincing other people to stop smoking have been trying to get my mother to stop for years she tries and always gives up after the second week.....!!!

After the first week virtually all the cravings are gone. After two weeks the cravings are well and truly gone. If she is starting back up after two weeks is because she's mentally addicted and obviously enjoys the habit. There will be no easy way to make her stop.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Well, one way to get someone to quite smoking is to tell them they smell like an ashtray. It gets in your hair,in your clothes and permeates through everything in the house too. Besides, with the price of cigarettes these days, you can find something a lot more fulfilling, to do with that money, than something,which is known, to sicken the lungs.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Your mother does not wish to quit smoking! Why do you insist on imposing your wishes on her. Does she not deserve respect from you (and everyone else).

What if she decides that your favorite food is not good for you and, in fact, it is committing suicide. What if she were to insist you give up your favorite food? What would God say if you continued to eat this food was no good for you. What if he barred you from heaven for eating it?

What about your favorite sport? Some sports are hazardous and cause injury. As your mother, she has every right to insist that you give it up immediately. So what if you enjoy it! So what if it has health benefits? Its not up to you to what is best for you. Start an exercise program of low-risk, low-impact immediately to replace your favorite sport.

What if your mother insists that you stop drinking entirely. Alcohol is a poison, you know and its not good for you. And forget about sugar and starches, they encourage cancer to grow!

Your body does not belong to you. Since it is taxpayers who must now bear your health care costs, you are accountable to every member of society and you must let others guide the intimate minutia of your life.

I am sure that, in the end, you will thank your mother.

lungcancer.about.com...

Overall, 10-15% of lung cancers occur in non-smokers. (Another 50% occur in former smokers.)

Tired of Control Freaks

From your link...second hand smoke is part of the reason for the non smokers cancer.
They generaly live around and are friends of smokers.

Research has uncovered more than 7000 chemical compounds in secondhand smoke; 250 of which are known to be poisonous, and upwards of 70 that are carcinogenic. When a cigarette is smoked, about half of the smoke is inhaled / exhaled (mainstream smoke) by the smoker and the other half floats around in the air (sidestream smoke). The combination of mainstream and sidestream smoke makes up secondhand smoke, also known as environmental tobacco smoke (ETS).

here is no safe level of exposure to secondhand smoke. Secondhand smoke can cause immediate damage as well as contribute to the development of numerous diseases, including cancer and heart disease.

Prevention Checking your home for radon and avoiding secondhand smoke are the most important things you can do to lower your risk of lung cancer as a non-smoker.

your link

Being exposed to diesel exhaust and air pollution does raise the risk of lung cancer; however, the risk is small in comparison to smoking.

your link

There are several reasons to quit smoking after a diagnosis of lung cancer. Kicking the habit can raise the success rate of surgery, makes treatment more effective, and lowers your risk of dying from causes other than lung cancer.

your link

Some, but not all, studies suggest that women may be more susceptible to the carcinogens in cigarettes, and women tend to develop lung cancer after fewer years of smoking

smoking is the number one cause of lung cancer in women

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by Myomistress

Yes candy can be a way to help quit smoking, but it is also fattening. Carrot sticks was something I opted for because it was a low calorie healthy treat, besides carrot sticks felt more like cigarettes in my hand.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Tired of Control Freaks

Yeah im really trying to convince her to kill herself............... If she was addicted to beer or addicted to drugs should i then not try to get her to stop weather she wanted to or not, I love my mother more than any women in the world and i hate to see her addicted to something that kills her slowly

and breath.........

Tell her just that. Then don't mention it anymore her heart will either come around or not.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Char-Lee

Char-lee

When the majority of the population smoked - the majority of lung cancer occurred in smokers
When the majority of the population doesn't smoke - the majority of the lung cancer occurs in people who don't smoke

Maybe - it has NOTHING to do with smoking?

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by StarsInDust

oh yes - insulting people is VERY motivating

So why exactly do you go around smelling ashtrays? Do you kiss them as well?

Do you also smell garbage cans? Just so you can tell obese people that they smell like a garbage can, of course!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:06 PM
link   

theruthlessone,

I am merely suggesting that your mother loves you as well and wants you to live to be 150 years old!

I am sure you agree that if it is right and proper for you to nudge your mother about smoking, then it must also be right and proper for her to nudge you about other things.

After all, what is good for the gander is also good for the goose!

Or does the thought of another person "nudging" about any of your private choices make you angry and disrespected?

Now you know how your mother feels!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Char-lee

From my link

Types of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers

While over half of lung cancers in smokers are classified as squamous cell lung cancers (a type of non-small cell lung cancer), the majority of lung cancers in non-smokers are adenocarcinomas (another type of non-small cell lung cancer).

Squamous cell lung cancers tend to grow near the airways and cause symptoms early on, such as coughing or coughing up blood (hemoptysis).

Adenocarcinomas often grow in the outer regions of the lungs and can be present for a long time before symptoms occur. Symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, or symptoms due to spread of the cancer to other regions of the body (such as bone pain) may be more common.

Bronchoalveolar carcinoma (BAC) is another form of lung cancer that is more common in non-smokers, especially young female non-smokers. For unknown reasons, the incidence of BAC appears to be increasing worldwide.

Both smokers and never-smokers get squamous cell lung cancers AND adenocarcinomas. I am shocked and stunned!

BAC is increasing in young female non-smokers! What? Can't be! We all know that lung cancer is caused by tobacco smoke!

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I quit once..

I lasted an entire year and ended up picking it up again. In my defense, it was the hardest time in my life to date. In the span of three months I had a crumbling relationship, then he got hit by a box truck while driving for work and almost died (which was a game changer, I became full time care giver in addition to having two little ones and college), and I got slapped with a lifelong diagnosis with no cure. Can you say stress?

I am ready to give quitting another go, I just dread the weight gain. Even eating healthy and being active the last time, I still gained a good 20lbs. My starting weight would be lower this time, so, it wouldn't be too horrible I hope, but, I still dread the idea.

Chantix was like a miracle for me, it made quitting almost too easy.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Char-lee

From my link

Types of Lung Cancer in Non-Smokers

While over half of lung cancers in smokers are classified as squamous cell lung cancers (a type of non-small cell lung cancer), the majority of lung cancers in non-smokers are adenocarcinomas (another type of non-small cell lung cancer).

Squamous cell lung cancers tend to grow near the airways and cause symptoms early on, such as coughing or coughing up blood (hemoptysis).

Adenocarcinomas often grow in the outer regions of the lungs and can be present for a long time before symptoms occur. Symptoms such as shortness of breath, fatigue, or symptoms due to spread of the cancer to other regions of the body (such as bone pain) may be more common.

Bronchoalveolar carcinoma (BAC) is another form of lung cancer that is more common in non-smokers, especially young female non-smokers. For unknown reasons, the incidence of BAC appears to be increasing worldwide.

Both smokers and never-smokers get squamous cell lung cancers AND adenocarcinomas. I am shocked and stunned!

BAC is increasing in young female non-smokers! What? Can't be! We all know that lung cancer is caused by tobacco smoke!

Tired of Control Freaks

Guess you missed the part where it said most of the non-smoker cancers are caused by passive smoking of someone else's cigs. It is more harmful to breath what comes out from a smoker then to smoke yourself...but go ahead, be my guest show the love smoke around everyone it is your right.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join