It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I quit smoking cold turkey and it was easy...

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
Title pretty much says it for itself, I've been a smoker for about 12 years. I would smoke about 12-15 cigarettes a day. Never knew why I smoked in the first place
I guess I was just being rebellious and just didn't care at the time I started (around highschool).

So I have been smoke free for 7 days. I know alot of people would be like that's not that long but I no longer have the cravings and I'm not going back. I've been trying to quit for a long time but never had any success. I would try by cutting down on my smoking, which never helped at all really I would just start right back up after a while. The electronic cigarette is a really good way to stop smoking for all you smokers but it still puts nicotine into your body, which can lead to heart problems.

My friends ask me how I quit cold turkey and I didn't really have an answer. I just told them that it's just a choice. When it comes down to it, it's all in your head (the addiction). So I told myself I was going to stop smoking right now, got the ash trays out of sight and threw everything away. Stay away from other smokers too by the way. Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes.

So to conclusion, yup I quit
and I urge everyone else to quit also. You only live once, why would you want to shorten your life? Ever since I quit my sense of smell has increased dramatically. You smokers just don't realize how bad you smell
The secret to quitting is you just have to choose not to smoke and alot of people will say well I get the cravings...yes they will be there but you just have to choose not to smoke and go out and do something keep your mind off it. Keep trying and you can crack the hold it has on you, you just have to want it bad enough.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Evanzsayz

I quit smoking cold turkey...it was too hard to light it.

An addiction is an addiction,if you can do it then good for you....inspire others if you can but don't ever preach is my advice.
edit on 29-3-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

.inspire others if you can but don't ever preach is my advice.

That's what I'm trying to do

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Good on you, OP!

I was a smoker for almost 20 years. From my teens to my 30's.

In 6 days I will be cigarette free for 4 months.

Ain't gonna lie either. If it were not for Champex I would be smoking right now, this very minute, in the garage with my coffee and some classic rock on the stereo.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   

Congratulations! Keep up the good work!

I gotta disagree with one thing though. When you say stay away from other smokers, it's actually better to reinforce your willpower to be around smokers and still not smoke. Anyway, just a small thing I noticed.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I thought good for you, way to go until you said.....

" Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes. "

Now all I have to say is hmmmmmm...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   
reply to post by Whosthatgirl

There is nothing untrue of what I said, smoking is killing yourself do you agree? It's not like the cigarette has a mind of its own...

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz

Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...

Living is suicide.

In one way or another, everything is bad for you.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:03 AM
link   
I quit as well I was a smoker for over 20 years it was very hard but I am smoke free for a few months now and it feels good.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:06 AM
link   
I've made the switch to the e-cig(brand name withheld), now I just need some zero nicotine cartridges and then I'll be nicotine-free.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evanzsayz
Title pretty much says it for itself, I've been a smoker for about 12 years. I would smoke about 12-15 cigarettes a day. Never knew why I smoked in the first place
I guess I was just being rebellious and just didn't care at the time I started (around highschool).

So I have been smoke free for 7 days. I know alot of people would be like that's not that long but I no longer have the cravings and I'm not going back. I've been trying to quit for a long time but never had any success. I would try by cutting down on my smoking, which never helped at all really I would just start right back up after a while. The electronic cigarette is a really good way to stop smoking for all you smokers but it still puts nicotine into your body, which can lead to heart problems.

My friends ask me how I quit cold turkey and I didn't really have an answer. I just told them that it's just a choice. When it comes down to it, it's all in your head (the addiction). So I told myself I was going to stop smoking right now, got the ash trays out of sight and threw everything away. Stay away from other smokers too by the way. Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes.

So to conclusion, yup I quit
and I urge everyone else to quit also. You only live once, why would you want to shorten your life? Ever since I quit my sense of smell has increased dramatically. You smokers just don't realize how bad you smell
The secret to quitting is you just have to choose not to smoke and alot of people will say well I get the cravings...yes they will be there but you just have to choose not to smoke and go out and do something keep your mind off it. Keep trying and you can crack the hold it has on you, you just have to want it bad enough.

you sound like the little boy whistling in the dark. (AA reference to attitude of drinkers that make such claims)

I have heard sooooooooooo many claim this and start smoking shortly (usually very shortly) after bragging like this.

recovering from addictive substances is a battle that goes on for years if not life

dont get a big head over such miniscule success

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:23 AM
link   
After being a smoker for about 7 years I quit and have been smoke free for. About 2 years now.

All I gotta say is that when your lungs start fixing themselves up youll notice a big difference in your breathing.

I too quit cold turkey. I found it quite easy and had no problems.
Mind over body

Not to mention all the extra cash im saving.

Heres a little something for those who quit smoking
www.abovetopsecret.com...

edit on 29-3-2013 by ElOmen because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Whosthatgirl
I thought good for you, way to go until you said.....

" Smoking is if you actually think about it....suicide...because you are actually killing yourself willingly. So if you are a christian (I am not) and you smoke, just think what God will do to you when you die from smoking which would be suicide in his eyes. "

Now all I have to say is hmmmmmm...

hmmm is right. My grandfather who was a christian chain smoked until he was 91 years old. No emphysema, cancer or diseases. Just old age.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:35 AM
link   
Has anyone got any tips for convincing other people to stop smoking have been trying to get my mother to stop for years she tries and always gives up after the second week.....!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:53 AM
link   
I too gave up smoking, cold turkey style, some 7 years ago it was also very easy. However i smoked just 10 a day.

I was so happy to have the extra money in my pocket, not go out side in the rain or smell like a chimney - I barely noticed any side effects, besides just wanting to smoke when i saw others do it.

One thing that i still get, though it doesn't exactly bother me, is i still like to fiddle with something, phone, keys, stress ball etc when I'm a bit bored, which i did not do before i started smoking. Its sort of a little constant reminder that stops me when i see a few people leave a bar to have a smoke outside. I say to myself "think of the money you have saved over 7 years and how healthy you feel".

Since i never smoked several packs a day, i cant imagine what it could be like for a true heavy smoker to quit after a long steady addiction - clearly your mental attitude and consumption are huge factors.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:54 AM
link   
reply to post by theruthlessone

Your mother does not wish to quit smoking! Why do you insist on imposing your wishes on her. Does she not deserve respect from you (and everyone else).

What if she decides that your favorite food is not good for you and, in fact, it is committing suicide. What if she were to insist you give up your favorite food? What would God say if you continued to eat this food was no good for you. What if he barred you from heaven for eating it?

What about your favorite sport? Some sports are hazardous and cause injury. As your mother, she has every right to insist that you give it up immediately. So what if you enjoy it! So what if it has health benefits? Its not up to you to what is best for you. Start an exercise program of low-risk, low-impact immediately to replace your favorite sport.

What if your mother insists that you stop drinking entirely. Alcohol is a poison, you know and its not good for you. And forget about sugar and starches, they encourage cancer to grow!

Your body does not belong to you. Since it is taxpayers who must now bear your health care costs, you are accountable to every member of society and you must let others guide the intimate minutia of your life.

I am sure that, in the end, you will thank your mother.

As for your mother quitting smoking, are you trying to kill her

The majority of all lung cancers occur in ex-smokers!

lungcancer.about.com...

Overall, 10-15% of lung cancers occur in non-smokers. (Another 50% occur in former smokers.)

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:55 AM
link   

I see you're in the UK. Spring is around the corner, so make it a routine to go for a walk or a bicycle ride or something where additional lung strength will be noticed. Not sure how e-cig laws are there, but look into an e-cig with zero-nicotine cartridges. Try flavoured (I spelled it that way for you!) cartridges like cherry or java, something that isn't plain tobacco or menthol.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Unfortunately, you can't. As an ex-smoker I can tell you its like any other addiction in as far as you have to be ready. Ready to do it for you and no one else.

That's the sad fact.

I had others plead with me to quit and it only pi**ed me off. When I got irritated - I'd go smoke.

Yeah. Its selfish. But so isn't smoking.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Well done but don't get complacent , I quit last year but at 7 weeks the cravings kicked back in and I crumbled

Good luck and I hope to join you soon in a smoke free life

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 11:14 AM
link   

When you claim that it is easy and that you only need to choose to quit in order to quit, you are insulting countless smokers out there who have struggled with their PHYSICAL nicotine addiction. Don't pretend that it's "all in your head". That is a lie.

I have met others like you who are simply genetically lucky and can quit. Perhaps you do not have the same dopamine receptors that others do. Why do you think certain prescription drugs work so well? It's because those people who take them are not as fortunate as you and need to tip the chemical balance in their favor in order to kick the habit.

You are not some lone monk on a hill with the iron will of a mystic ox. You are just chemically lucky. By the way, good luck and I sincerely wish you success with this. Just don't go rubbing it in when you have friends that can't quit later down the road. It doesn't help them. At all.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join