My Little Hero!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Late last night after logging off of ATS I decided to take a long, hot bath. I climbed into the hot water and just sat for a minute, letting my body adjust to the temperature. As is their habit when I am in the tub my two dogs (an 8 year old pitbull and a 3 1/2 month old pitbull) came into the room to give me kisses, after which the grown dog left and the puppy stayed to investigate the various products around the tub area.

I leaned back in the tub and slid down into the water, leaving only my head above water. The puppy (Dexter, who is extremely large for his age) jumps up and hangs his paws over the side of the tub and starts whining, stretching his neck and head towards me. Thinking he just wanted some more loving I sat up and gave him a few pats and kisses and he left the room. I figured I could now enjoy my bath uninterrupted and leaned back again, sliding downward into the water, and holding my breath and closing my eyes I completely submerged myself in the deliciously hot water. After a few seconds I could hear something hitting the side of the tub and the puppy making a whining noise- no biggie, or so I thought. The next thing you know I felt something yank my hair- hard! It was pulling me up from under my wonderful bath water! It was Dexter!!! Apparently Dexter was unnecessarily concerned over his "mommy" being submerged in water and was attempting to rescue me!

I sat upright very quickly and Dexter released my hair, and then jumped over the side of the tub into my lap (which made a horrible wet mess everywhere) and commenced to nearly licking my face off, besides nearly knocking the breath out of me in the process. He then jumped out of the tub and sat waiting for me, whining non-stop until I got out of the tub- after which he ceased whining and was fine. I dried us both off and got dressed, then immediately took Dexter to the kitchen for a treat- Astro came trotting in so he got a treat as well, but I slipped my little hero an extra treat!

When my husband Skyped me early this morning I told him what had happened, and he insisted that I bring Dexter to the computer so that he could tell him what a good boy he was for taking care of mommy. My husband (who has epilepsy) announced that from now on when he is at home when it is time for him to take his nightly bath Dexter will now accompany him and will now be called "Guardian of the Tub". As for me, I appreciate my little hero trying to rescue me, but from now on I think I will take my nightly baths with the door closed!!!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by littled16

Does he know you have a cat avatar fixation??? He'd be shattered!

( This is one of those threads that made me smile in a genuine way... thank you LittleD! )

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:01 AM
link   

What a lovely story! It had me in tears at the end...it's one of those days
good tears though!

That's really awesome! What a sweetie dog!!

-nat cat-

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Hefficide

Indeed he has seen a few of my cat avatars. Both of the dogs are "cat friendly" as I have an insanely evil housecat who lets them both know that she is definitely the boss, and the outside cats keep them both in line as well! I'm not sure that my dogs know that they are not kids- so I've decided not to tell them!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by natalia

Beware "littlenatalia"- he is the puppy I warned you about before regarding the shoes!
I think I will leave an old pair of sneakers on the floor today for him to destroy as a reward!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:09 AM
link   

What a smart puppy! Sounds like he's your knight in furry armour.

My dogs would have thought it a fun game and tried to see how long I could stay under.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   

Hahaha! That's great! Do it! He can have some of my shoes for a reward as well...don't have a picture though...here...why not fry him up some bacon!!!

Look the bacon is happy..then the pup will be happy ...everyone wins!!

Peace and love
-littlenatalia-

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:25 AM
link   

What a fabulous, loving and devoted dog you have! That's so great to read.
Hard to believe it's just instinct as some might say it is. I think he was truly worried about you.

Just a wonderful story. Thank you so much!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:28 AM
link   

What a great story ! Good Boy Dexter ! Our 10 yr. old Pitbull / Lab Mix Bonnie protected my senior Father back in Feb. when he had a siezure while out walking the dogs....Both dogs stayed right by his side when he went down....Bonnie growled at and bit the Police officer that was the first on the scene....Thank God that the police officer and the animal control were sooo kind to my Dad and our "girls"...♥

When my Dad got home from the hospital the following day......Bonnie was soo happy to see him....I swear she was trying to talk to him the best she could.....Man's best friend indeed....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:33 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

It would have to be instinct because even though he is extremely large he is only a 3 1/2 month old puppy- born on Dec. 16th. I was just amazed that at such a young age he already has such a protective streak. He is already half the size of my 8 year old Pit so I'm starting to wonder how big he will be at maturity!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:34 AM
link   

Awwwww...Littled...your story made my day!

What a proud Mommy you must be, knowing Dexter will bravely do whatever it takes to keep you safe.

Give him an extra treat, from me......

Des

edit on 29-3-2013 by Destinyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:37 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

Aaaaaaw! What a good Bonnie! That is so sweet!
I am hoping that since Dexter tried to rescue me from the tub he will do the same if my hubby ever has a seizure while in the bath. He hasn't had a seizure in a few years, but you never know when one might hit out of nowhere. I think it's hilarious that my husband has deemed him "Guardian of the Tub" but if ever necessary I pray he lives up to his title!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Pitbulls

Your little hero is what i keep reading about attacking kids and stuff.

www.torontosun.com...

I HATE that breed.
i would rather own a snake and not worry about a cat clawing me or a pitbull biting me.

You naming the dog after a serial killer on tv says alot.
Good luck with your pitbull.
edit on 29-3-2013 by DrumsRfun because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Destinyone

Thanks Des!
Mommy is indeed very proud of her baby, and have given him treats and "sugars" on your behalf!

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

If you don't like pitbulls by all means stay away from them! I have been bitten by dogs many times in my life, and the dogs that attacked me have always been smaller breeds: several chihuahuas, a cocker spaniel, a Jack Russel mix and a poodle. Maybe we should do away with all of those breeds.

As far as his name, Dexter is short for Poindexter- common 80s term for a brainy nerd.
ETA: Just to note we call my grown dog Astro which is short for his given name- Astrophysicist.

edit on 29-3-2013 by littled16 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by DrumsRfun

Pitbulls

Your little hero is what i keep reading about attacking kids and stuff.

www.torontosun.com...

I HATE that breed.
i would rather own a snake and not worry about a cat clawing me or a pitbull biting me.

You naming the dog after a serial killer on tv says alot.
Good luck with your pitbull.

Geezzz......your delightful......Pitbulls are wonderful, loving, loyal dogs....Sadly in recent years a bunch of "nut jobs" starting breeding them to be aggressive and used them in dog fights...I Hate those people, not the dogs....but I would agree owning pitbulls does reguire being extra cautious, especially around children.....

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by MountainLaurel

To be fair,a female is better then a male but a pit is still a pit.

Out of all the snakes i have owned...i have never been bit and never needed to be that cautious.

Yes...i am delightful.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:00 AM
link   

Again...to be fair,I love dogs and hate that breed.
They are banned in my city and i am happy about it.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:49 AM
link   
What a wonderful story!!!!!!!!!!
Precious!!!
you got a good one

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:51 AM
link   
reply to post by DrumsRfun

LOL...I gave you a star for being delightful.....and I don't want to be a part of any negative vibes in this Wonderful thread about Dexter, "Guardian of the Tub"

I would be much more afraid of a snake then a pitbull...and I can't imagine they're very fun to cuddle with or that they would rescue you in a time of need....LOL....come to think of it when Bonnie once saw a snake she seemed to be kinda afraid of it too.....she just stood there barking at it until it slithered away.....Good Girl!

When I called to Thank the police officer that helped my Dad, and didn't make trouble for Bonnie, he told me he was also a dog lover, and he was touched at how she was trying to protect by Dad...he didn't think Bonnie really wanted to bite him, but that she grabbed his pants trying to prevent him from approaching my Dad who was obviously very vulnerable.......our little terrior Rosie was apparently licking my Dads face trying her best to help him too.....Good Girls !

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join