It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rand Paul threatens to filibuster again, this time over guns

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+5 more 
posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:35 AM
link   
Oh yeah, you know it. Another gun thread!

Riding on the wave of success and exposure from the last filibuster, Rand Paul and Co are planning to step it up and filibuster any new types of gun legislation from the Obama administration.

Call it “Stand with Rand,” part two.

Fresh off his recent 13-hour talk fest from the Senate floor on drones, Kentucky Sen. Rand Paul is warning Democrats that he and other Republicans are prepared to filibuster again, this time over guns.

Along with Utah Sen. Mike Lee and Texas Sen. Ted Cruz, Paul sent a letter Friday to Senate Majority Leader Harry Reid suggesting they would filibuster any attempt to vote on legislation restricting the right of Americans to express their Second Amendment rights.

“We, the undersigned, intend to oppose any legislation that would infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms, or on their ability to exercise this right without being subjected to government surveillance,” the trio of senators wrote to Reid.

“The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects citizens’ right to self-defense,” they wrote. “It speaks to history’s lesson that government cannot be in all places at all times, and history’s warning about the oppression of a government that tries.”

Threatening to filibuster, the Republican senators wrote: “We will oppose the motion to proceed to any legislation that will serve as a vehicle for any additional gun restrictions.”

Reid has said that the Senate will vote soon on gun control legislation, which will include background checks but not an assault weapons ban.

Luckily there are still people that will stand up for our constitution, no matter how many nay-sayers come out and ridicule these men and the cause. I think using the traditional filibuster is the best way to grab the attention of those that willingly choose to ignore the encroaching police state. Hopefully, the more senators that stand up and show the people they care, then maybe we could get more support from the people, instead of everybody taking an apathetic approach to the way things are heading.

Giving Marco Rubio a fair shake

Marco Rubio is fairly new on the scene, there have been a few things I didn't quite agree with him on, but it seems he still intends to fight on the side on the constitutionalists, and I have to tip my hat to Rubio, hopefully it's not all for show to galvanize the public so he can possibly win the presidential election.

“We, the undersigned, intend to oppose any legislation that would infringe on the American people’s constitutional right to bear arms, or on their ability to exercise this right without being subjected to government surveillance,” the senators wrote. “The Second Amendment to the Constitution protects citizens’ right to self-defense. It speaks to the history’s lesson that government cannot be in all places at all times, and history’s warning about the oppression of a government that tries.”

Understanding Ted Cruz

I've been following Ted Cruz since the filibuster over the drones, he is doing a huge part in staying vocal on the important issues, he doesn't really care if people label him as "nuts", he just knows he should help defend our remaining freedoms. Ted Cruz has echoed the sentiments I see here on ATS day in and day out. He has conveyed our thoughts and arguments to congress.

I have faith in these guys to do the right thing, and like I said about Rubio, I hope they aren't doing it for show this time, because the American people need somebody to trust, and these men, Rand Paul, Marco Rubio, and Ted Cruz seem to actually have real authentic spines, so hopefully they know that a lot of us support them and we hope that they can finally expose the criminals for all the people to see.

"It is saddening to see the president today, once again, try to take advantage of this tragic murder to promote an agenda that will do nothing to stop violent crime, but will undermine the constitutional rights of all law-abiding Americans," Cruz said in a statement. "I am committed to working with Sens. Rand Paul, Mike Lee, Marco Rubio, and Jim Inhofe -- and I hope many other colleagues -- to use any procedural means necessary to protect those fundamental rights."

Cruz also blamed the Obama administration for contributing to the gun violence it is now attempting to address

Source
Rubio signs onto letter promising filibuster on gun control legislation
Source Cruz

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
Good...I hope he does and I will tune in and watch it like I did last time if he actually takes the podium.

There are already too many controls and regulations. Most people don't realize the problem isn't the type or amount of regulation, it's the enforcing of them. More rules, laws and regulations are not going to stop criminals and lunatics, it will only stifle the average law abiding citizen.

When it comes to criminals and psychopaths, where there is a will, they will find a way...you cannot legislate morality or "good will toward man"...

But I think we all already know this...jut another Orwellian control move to subjugate the people.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:46 AM
link   
The gun grabbers are not going to give up, they will just change tactics. The emotional wave is running out, so they have to find a way to get their momentum back. Obama going on TV, trying to shame Congress into passing his crap, is an example. They have no facts to back their play, so they have to try sympathy. Notice he had all those folks from Sandy Hook behind him, trying to invoke sadness and guilt. I'm glad to see Paul following in his Dad's footsteps.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by eXia7

I don't understand why they can't enforce the laws that are already in place. Perhaps they are idiots?

When it comes to voting, I stand by the 1st and 2nd Amendments. If a Pol does not stand by those two...he/she are not getting my vote. Period.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jeremiah65
Good...I hope he does and I will tune in and watch it like I did last time if he actually takes the podium.

There are already too many controls and regulations. Most people don't realize the problem isn't the type or amount of regulation, it's the enforcing of them. More rules, laws and regulations are not going to stop criminals and lunatics, it will only stifle the average law abiding citizen.

When it comes to criminals and psychopaths, where there is a will, they will find a way...you cannot legislate morality or "good will toward man"...

But I think we all already know this...jut another Orwellian control move to subjugate the people.

I believe control and regulation is the backbone of their entire plan, They create hundreds of thousands of laws to oppress the people, then when something happens, they decide to enact new laws, and don't even enforce the ones they have. You can't regulate and control stupid I'm afraid lol.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
The gun grabbers are not going to give up, they will just change tactics. The emotional wave is running out, so they have to find a way to get their momentum back. Obama going on TV, trying to shame Congress into passing his crap, is an example. They have no facts to back their play, so they have to try sympathy. Notice he had all those folks from Sandy Hook behind him, trying to invoke sadness and guilt. I'm glad to see Paul following in his Dad's footsteps.

I think this is the only method they have left, the method of using shame to induce control. We all know most anti gun arguments are based on unfounded evidence, and whatever facts they do come up with, it ends up skewed beyond belief.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 08:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by TDawgRex
reply to post by eXia7

I don't understand why they can't enforce the laws that are already in place. Perhaps they are idiots?

When it comes to voting, I stand by the 1st and 2nd Amendments. If a Pol does not stand by those two...he/she are not getting my vote. Period.

I think they believe if they add new laws, they can continue to try and scare the public into submission. I agree, if politicians don't stand up for the values of a free society, then they have no business making decisions for the masses.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I like Mr. Rand Paul. He's is much more intelligent in his political approach than Ron Paul. I think he would have a real chance in an election unlike Ron.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:24 AM
link   
This is what I expect form someone like Rand Paul, but Rubio is a slick used car salesmen type of greaseball!

He's more of the "establishment" Republican and will flow with the popular tide that benefits him the most. Plus, he has been the most talked-about person to run for Vice President in 2016 alongside Paul.

So I have my suspicions that Rubio may not be doing this for the right reasons.
edit on 29-3-2013 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I used to hate long winded politicians, but I like this one.

I'm glad all that hot air is going to a good cause.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   
Good on Him! When I go out shopping today. Think I'll pick up a box of adult Depends, and send them to his office with a note of support.

Des

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
This is what I expect form someone like Rand Paul, but Rubio is a slick used car salesmen type of greaseball!

He's more of the "establishment" Republican and will flow with the popular tide that benefits him the most. Plus, he has been the most talked-about person to run for Vice President in 2016 alongside Paul.

So I have my suspicions that Rubio may not be doing this for the right reasons.

Those are my similar thoughts on Rubio as well, he does seem to follow trends from time to time, but this is a trend I don't mind him following, because some help is better than no help.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:46 AM
link   
Seriously I would kiss him if I could. It gives me hope that there are people like Rand Paul fighting for our rights.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:50 AM
link   
I am enjoying seeing some of the younger people shaking things up a bit in the midst of all those stuffy old dudes.

Its just that its about time, you know?

Things I like I about Rand:

He wants to pass legislation requiring that bills actually be read before voting. You wouldn't think that they would need to be told to read them, but, apparently its a problem. There is a video where Rand complains about receiving a 600 page bill (with things slipped in last minute) the morning of the vote, which is ridiculous, if you think about it.

He stood up and spoke out about the drones and didn't stop until he got an answer.

He seems to really know and appreciate the constitution, especially the 2nd amendment, and isn't afraid to speak up for our rights.

Here is the video on the bills not being read:

edit on 29-3-2013 by daryllyn because: (no reason given)

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 09:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by jessasaurusreeex
Seriously I would kiss him if I could. It gives me hope that there are people like Rand Paul fighting for our rights.

I like him too. I'm probably going to refrain from trying to kiss him, though..

I hope he runs in 2016.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by daryllyn

I hope he runs in 2016.

I hope we have a lot of people like him running in 2016, and hopefully they can shake up congress by mid terms, there is a lot of corruption to expose, so I hope more people are willing to step up and fill this role before its too late.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64

In logic and debate it's immediately known that a side of an argument has lost when they resort to appeals to emotion rather than facts.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:24 AM
link   
reply to post by daryllyn

I really love what Thomas Jefferson said, that bills should not be voted on until they were made public and sat for a period of 1 year without a single word changed. And if they wanted to have information changed it needed a 2/3 vote and the bill would sit another year in public for all to view.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by eXia7

Originally posted by daryllyn

I hope he runs in 2016.

I hope we have a lot of people like him running in 2016, and hopefully they can shake up congress by mid terms, there is a lot of corruption to expose, so I hope more people are willing to step up and fill this role before its too late.

Rand is my favorite for Pres, either him or Ted Cruz from Texas.

posted on Mar, 29 2013 @ 10:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by lobotomizemecapin
I like Mr. Rand Paul. He's is much more intelligent in his political approach than Ron Paul. I think he would have a real chance in an election unlike Ron.

It'll be difficult, the establishment big government Republicans will smear him like crazy. Jerks like Karl Rove, John McCain.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join